US to restore diplomatic relations with Cuba

Started by US 41, December 17, 2014, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What go you think of the US restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba?

like it
30 (96.8%)
don't like it
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

spooky

Brandon

Now if we can just drop this stupid embargo crappola.  Seriously, the Castros will die soon, and with it all the reason for the embargo in the first place.  Well past time to end it, flood the place with dollars and make the Castros look like idiots.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

golden eagle

Quote from: bandit957 on December 17, 2014, 11:37:13 PM
It would have been much more fun to visit when it was illegal to do so.

But that said, I support the change. America already has cozy relations with dictatorships that are far worse.

I don't get that at all. Americans weren't banned from traveling to the Soviet Union and China, and they have much more repressive regimes. The U.S. has a way of flexing its muscles against smaller countries that don't have the propensity of fighting back.

mgk920

I've been divided on the embargo, leaning towards wanting it lifted, for many years now.  On one hand, (remembering that prior to 1959, Cuba was #3 on the list of most prosperous countries in the Americas on a per-capita basis) the Castro brothers stole the entire country from its rightful landowners, nationalizing the whole thing, and should not be rewarded for doing so, while on the other hand, the embargo has not worked and no other country does likewise.  I also keep in mind that being as open as possible with the people of central and eastern Europe was a big factor in the fall of Communism there in the late 1980s, the culmination of the decade.  The people there will see that the Castros blaming all of their ills on the embargo for the lie that it is and start figuring out en-mass that it is the system itself that is fatally flawed.

Then, 'what next' as the Castro Brothers™ fade from the scene?

Besides charting a better political and economic course for the people as a whole, the island will essentially require a 21st Century version of the Marshall Plan.  When the country was nationalized, that included every building on the island.  Many (or most) have seen little, if any, maintenance in 55 years, this because to buy building materials and to hire someone to do that kind of work was 'counter to the Revolution'.  Large areas of the island's cities will have to be rebuilt from the ground up - and rightful ownership issues will have to be resolved.

There is a nascent motorway network on the island that will have to be expanded and mostly completed.  The one planned to run the length of the island to connect La Habana with Santiago is about a third open, but nowhere near to the standards of any motorway nearly anywhere else in the World.  More 'Marshall Plan' action.

There is a LOT of work ahead once they join the real World.

Mike

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2014, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 18, 2014, 12:31:36 PM
Why is it OK to have diplomatic relations with a dictatorship like Singapore that outlawed bubble gum, but not Cuba?
Because durians.
Durians are cool and funny.

Side note: Yes to Proposition Cuba-visit.

triplemultiplex

'Bout time. 
This just in from a quarter century ago: The Cold War is fucking over.

America always does the right thing... eventually.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: bandit957 on December 18, 2014, 12:31:36 PM
Why is it OK to have diplomatic relations with a dictatorship like Singapore that outlawed bubble gum, but not Cuba?

They may be SOBs, but they're our SOBs.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 19, 2014, 12:59:10 AM
'Bout time. 
This just in from a quarter century ago: The Cold War is fucking over.

America always does the right thing... eventually.

After exhausting all other alternatives  :-D

1995hoo

Quote from: golden eagle on December 18, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 17, 2014, 11:37:13 PM
It would have been much more fun to visit when it was illegal to do so.

But that said, I support the change. America already has cozy relations with dictatorships that are far worse.

I don't get that at all. Americans weren't banned from traveling to the Soviet Union and China, and they have much more repressive regimes. The U.S. has a way of flexing its muscles against smaller countries that don't have the propensity of fighting back.

Technically, it is not illegal to travel to Cuba. The government tried that and lost in court when they got sued. However, it is illegal to spend money in Cuba without a license from OFAC, and they interpret that regulation as establishing a rebuttable presumption that if you travel there, you spent money there, so in the government's eyes you need a license to travel to Cuba.

However, they've never actually prosecuted anyone for it because they're afraid they'd lose.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2014, 11:21:01 PM
"rightful landowners" hahahahahaha

So you believe theft is a good thing?  May I steal your bicycle some time and see how funny it is?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Thing 342

Not so sure if lifting the embargo is the best solution. Lifting the embargo would create a situation in Cuba similar to that of China: a quasi-communist system run by an oppressive single-party government, as Cuba's proximity to the US would make it a very attractive location for outsourcing manufacturing jobs. Lifting sanctions on autocratic regimes in exchange for token reforms hasn't really worked in the past, as is the case with Burma.

Scott5114

Having an embargo hasn't really worked in the past either, though. Mostly because we're the only ones with the embargo. Havana is full of Canadian tourists.

Lifting the embargo may not encourage any reform in the regime, but it would at least mean we could profit by exporting American goods there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

China's definitely profited from importing crap stuff here.

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2014, 09:32:13 AM

So you believe theft is a good thing?  May I steal your bicycle some time and see how funny it is?
hahahahaha
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

Because the wealthy Spaniards that owned most of Cuba's land before the revolution were the rightful landowners.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: corco on December 19, 2014, 04:47:09 PM

Because the wealthy Spaniards that owned most of Cuba's land before the revolution were the rightful landowners.

Who is the rightful owner of your land?

corco

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 19, 2014, 06:24:20 PM

Quote from: corco on December 19, 2014, 04:47:09 PM

Who is the rightful owner of your land?

I rent

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.