Newport-Southbank bridge AKA Purple people bridge

Started by iBallasticwolf2, May 18, 2015, 04:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

The Newport Southbank bridge is a pedestrain bridge over the Ohio river in Cincinnati.

I wanted to know if anyone could find a picture of it before it was converted to pedestrain. Also what the configuration was since it seems to have 3 seperate corridors. The two outer ones which I guess carried vehicles (Not sure how many lanes) and the middle deck carried pedestrains?

On the Ohio side it currently ends at Mehring way but it seems to have extended to Second street originally. Also far eastern deck is not in use. I'm guessing it used to carry lanes
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

The Ghostbuster

Purple people bridge? Will there be purple people eaters? (Joke)

iBallasticwolf2

jjakucyk

The western (largest) section was a simple 2-lane street.  The middle was and still is a pedestrian sidewalk.  The eastern section was a single-track railroad for the L&N Railroad, hence its previous name, the L&N Bridge, and before that the Newport & Cincinnati Bridge. 

When originally built, a southbound streetcar track was cantilevered off the west side of the bridge (now removed), the roadway was a shared wagon/pedestrian path, and the middle section that's today's sidewalk was for northbound streetcars. 

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jjakucyk on May 19, 2015, 02:49:29 PM
The western (largest) section was a simple 2-lane street.  The middle was and still is a pedestrian sidewalk.  The eastern section was a single-track railroad for the L&N Railroad, hence its previous name, the L&N Bridge, and before that the Newport & Cincinnati Bridge. 

When originally built, a southbound streetcar track was cantilevered off the west side of the bridge (now removed), the roadway was a shared wagon/pedestrian path, and the middle section that's today's sidewalk was for northbound streetcars.

Thanks for telling me the configuration

bandit957

It actually does end at Pete Rose Way (the former 2nd Street). The bridge used to split, and the western split went over 2nd and up to 3rd. That part had a looped ramp from 2nd.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vtk

Quote from: bandit957 on May 29, 2015, 09:01:46 PM
It actually does end at Pete Rose Way (the former 2nd Street). The bridge used to split, and the western split went over 2nd and up to 3rd. That part had a looped ramp from 2nd.

Most of that loop ramp is still there, too. I walked on it several years ago.

PS check out Google Earth for historic aerial imagery. The USGS aerials from the 90s are blurry but the previous configuration can be seen.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bandit957

Quote from: vtk on May 30, 2015, 06:11:40 AM
Most of that loop ramp is still there, too. I walked on it several years ago.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they finally got rid of it around 2012 and put a parking lot in its place.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Stephane Dumas

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.