News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Overturned truck on PA Tpk; 86 miles close in both directions(?!)

Started by wphiii, August 12, 2015, 10:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wphiii

http://www.wtae.com/news/closure-on-pennsylvania-turnpike-between-new-stanton-and-breezewood/34671164?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WTAE-TV%20Pittsburgh

Pretty crazy, can someone knowledgeable please explain why one overturned truck requires such an extensive closure of the entire road??? Like why not just shut it down between Bedford and Somerset, which is the stretch that the accident actually occurred in?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wphiii on August 12, 2015, 10:52:38 AM
http://www.wtae.com/news/closure-on-pennsylvania-turnpike-between-new-stanton-and-breezewood/34671164?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WTAE-TV%20Pittsburgh

Pretty crazy, can someone knowledgeable please explain why one overturned truck requires such an extensive closure of the entire road??? Like why not just shut it down between Bedford and Somerset, which is the stretch that the accident actually occurred in?

Could be taking into consideration the toll plazas and local roads.  At Exit 146 (Bedford), there's only 3 toll lanes available.  All the traffic travelling west on the Turnpike that is already beyond Breezewood is going to be forced to exit in Bedford.  In addition, the traffic going westbound that has already passed this exit will have to turn around (if possible) and drive back to this interchange.  By forcing all Westbound traffic that hasn't reached the Breezewood Interchange to exit at Breezewood, it prevents the situation at the Bedford exit from getting worse.

Same thing is true going Eastbound.

02 Park Ave

They are probably closing the Turnpike at Breezewood so that the I-68 can be used as the detour route.

It is interesting that the linked WTAE story lists the old exit numbers in it.  I don't think that there are signs left on the Turnpike stating the old sequential exit numbers
C-o-H

The Ghostbuster

86 miles closed? They could have closed the entire 360 mile turnpike.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cl94

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 12, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
They are probably closing the Turnpike at Breezewood so that the I-68 can be used as the detour route.

Are you from SoCal? That's really starting to get on my nerves. As much as it annoys me when people in Buffalo use "the".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

signalman

Quote from: cl94 on August 15, 2015, 11:31:55 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 12, 2015, 12:00:16 PM

Are you from SoCal? That's really starting to get on my nerves. As much as it annoys me when people in Buffalo use "the".
It annoys the crap out of me too.  I don't think that he's from SoCal, but rather, just an idiot.  Also, someone from SoCal would say "the 68," not "the I-68."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.