News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which old U.S. Highway went through Sidney and Piqua. Ohio?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 20, 2016, 11:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I am wondering about one U.S. highway that ran north south from Sidney to Piqua down to Cincinnati, Ohio before Interstate 75 replaced the U.S. Highway? :colorful: :hmmm:

Max Rockatansky

marleythedog

US-25 indeed. If you drive I-75 through that area you'll see several exits for County Road 25A, as it's now known in Miami, Shelby, and Auglaize counties (and seems to be a common convention for decommissioned ODOT routes). Most other counties call it Dixie Highway. Near Toledo the former alignment is now State Route 25.

thenetwork

Quote from: marleythedog on July 24, 2016, 10:15:07 PM
US-25 indeed. If you drive I-75 through that area you'll see several exits for County Road 25A, as it's now known in Miami, Shelby, and Auglaize counties (and seems to be a common convention for decommissioned ODOT routes). Most other counties call it Dixie Highway. Near Toledo the former alignment is now State Route 25.

However, once you get to Maumee, the original US/SR-25 alignment was along the current-day US-24 alignment bypassing downtown Toledo entirely.  In 1986, US-24 and SR-25 essentially swapped alignments in Toledo, then SR-25 was later rerouted through downtown Toledo along the Greenbelt Parkway and now terminates at I-280.

Avalanchez71

Yet another road that is still intact and numbered but loses the US designation.  That is just goofy.  How well are some of those county routes?  I haven't had time to exit I-75 in the past to check them out.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 25, 2016, 01:33:19 PM
Yet another road that is still intact and numbered but loses the US designation.  That is just goofy.

No it isn't. US highways are supposed to follow the best route between the points they serve. If they aren't placed on the adjacent freeway, they should be decommissioned and turned into state or county routes. For instance, it made no sense to keep US 21 north of Wytheville because it's paralleled by I-77. Same for US 460 west of Frankfort as it relates to I-64. Lots more should lose the interstate (as opposed to Interstate) designation and become state routes. (I'm looking at you, US 11 between New Orleans and Watertown.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2016, 02:37:06 PM
Yet another road that is still intact and numbered but loses the US designation.  That is just goofy.

No it isn't. US highways are supposed to follow the best route between the points they serve. If they aren't placed on the adjacent freeway, they should be decommissioned and turned into state or county routes. For instance, it made no sense to keep US 21 north of Wytheville because it's paralleled by I-77. Same for US 460 west of Frankfort as it relates to I-64. Lots more should lose the interstate (as opposed to Interstate) designation and become state routes. (I'm looking at you, US 11 between New Orleans and Watertown.)
How about more of US-25 in KY?  Decommission 25 north of Corbin and all of 25W (KY and TN).  Renumber 25E to be 25, with a northern terminus in Corbin at I-75, and continuing south from Newport into NC and GA.

Avalanchez71

Well in case of an emergency one could easily just follow US 11 without a bunch of detour signs.

marleythedog

Yet another road that is still intact and numbered but loses the US designation.  That is just goofy.  How well are some of those county routes?  I haven't had time to exit I-75 in the past to check them out.

25A sees quite a bit of local traffic and is well maintained. It's 4 lanes between Piqua and Troy, Troy and Tipp City, and is being/has recently been widened to 3-5 lanes at various places north and south of there. North of Piqua, I'd say it's maintained to minor state route quality; two lanes large enough for trucks to pass but not much shoulder, and the jogs between Piqua and Sidney are softened to 35-45mph speed. South of Sidney there's still a hill passing lane from when it carried notable truck traffic. Piqua put up a couple "Historic U.S. 25" shields a year or so ago; no idea if any other municipalities will follow.

Rothman

*shrugs*

I see no problem keeping parallel US routes, especially since they can serve as business routes for the Interstates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GCrites

Maybe the feds don't want to pay for maintenance and upgrades of parallel routes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 01, 2016, 09:26:53 PM
Maybe the feds don't want to pay for maintenance and upgrades of parallel routes.

More like the state of Ohio...lots of county routes out there that were carved up from US 25.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 01, 2016, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on August 01, 2016, 09:26:53 PM

More like the state of Ohio...lots of county routes out there that were carved up from US 25.

Federal funds are not restricted to interstates or US highways.  Even those county routes may have the eligible federal funds spent on their maintenance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

A lot of older county maps from West Virginia have "FAP" or "FAS" designations for their county routes (actually a state secondary system), denoting Federal Aid Primary or Federal Aid Secondary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.