News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

J N Winkler

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 20, 2015, 12:08:55 PMInteresting.  I tried logging out on Google Maps and the maps reloaded normally.  I'm using MacOS X 10.9 and Safari 7.

In my case, the shields appear when a Google Maps page loads, and then they disappear.  It is like there is a script that runs at the end of page load that takes them away.  It is very frustrating.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MrDisco99

Whoah... You can't drag the blue line anymore in directions?  Screw this...

Hello again, Mapquest

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MrDisco99 on October 28, 2015, 02:23:02 PM

Hello again, Mapquest

Sure you can.   

But being that you're the type that says "Screw this" rather than "Is anyone else having this issue", I'm guessing you jump around a lot between various services.

mvak36

Quote from: MrDisco99 on October 28, 2015, 02:23:02 PM

Hello again, Mapquest
You're probably in the Lite Mode of the google Maps. If you change it back to the Full version (thunderbolt looking button on bottom right of browser next to the icon for Streetview) you can do it again. That worked for me.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

OCGuy81

Does Google Maps show county lines?

I was trying to map counties I'd hit on a road trip, but I only see state boundaries.

Any other maps out there, Apple, Mapquest show county lines?  I swear Google USED to show these, or at least had a way to enable them.

triplemultiplex

Google maps will only show the county boundaries of a county you do a search for.
Apple Maps doesn't show them either.

I haven't used Mapquest in over a decade so I couldn't tell you about that.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

empirestate

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 29, 2015, 11:16:29 AM
Does Google Maps show county lines?

I was trying to map counties I'd hit on a road trip, but I only see state boundaries.

Any other maps out there, Apple, Mapquest show county lines?  I swear Google USED to show these, or at least had a way to enable them.

Yeah, Mapquest and Bing both show them. So does OSM, the National Map, and ArcGIS.

Purgatory On Wheels

Bruce

Google Maps has made a small change that makes it hard to see roads above/below structures:

Seattle ferry terminal, which has a building above some parts of the dock (but not all):

A transit center with a parking garage elevated above it:

Sykotyk

One thing I noticed, is if you put Google Maps to half screen with another window open (such as transposing waypoints, etc), it forces you into lite mode and no option to switch back. I guess based on pixels, resolution of the window, etc, it assumes you're on a tablet/phone and won't let you. This includes losing markers for waypoints, moving the line, etc.

I've been using old Bing Maps for most non-phone related road look ups, even though their search engine is horrible at picking up proper points the way Google could (search engine problem, not maps, specifically).

jakeroot

Quote from: Sykotyk on November 02, 2015, 01:53:14 PM
One thing I noticed, is if you put Google Maps to half screen with another window open (such as transposing waypoints, etc), it forces you into lite mode and no option to switch back. I guess based on pixels, resolution of the window, etc, it assumes you're on a tablet/phone and won't let you. This includes losing markers for waypoints, moving the line, etc.

I can't seem to replicate this issue. What's your operating system?

Sykotyk

Windows 8, Firefox, latest version. Not sure why. Don't feel like tinkering with it. I mostly use Bing maps (old version) for most stuff, but sometimes google is faster at finding locations because their search engine is faster.

Switching from old Google Maps to new isn't working for me. The constant solid blue line that doesn't show the waypoints other than white dots just slightly bigger than change of direction smaller white dots doesn't work. Especially if I'm putting in 10 or 15 waypoints. And the fact you can't just enter them all, you have to enter one, let it search and route for it, then add another. And another. No more just hitting "add" ten or fifteen times, filling in the fields, and then searching.

Waste of time and bandwidth.

Bruce

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

A bunch of non-road related errors with Google Maps; They're claiming that waterways like Orient Harbor, Long Beach Bay, the southern Shelter Island Sound, Cutchogue Bay, Sag Harbor Bay, Northwest Harbor and the North and South Races around Robins Island are (get this) part of the Peconic River!

Buffaboy

Trivial, but does Google actually edit business descriptions? Who are they to be able to drive-by judge places they may or may not have been to?

This is why I wish I could get rid of Google Maps. Nothing wrong with the business, it's an accurate description, but they just seem creepy in these cases.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

jakeroot

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 08, 2015, 07:35:35 PM
Trivial, but does Google actually edit business descriptions? Who are they to be able to drive-by judge places they may or may not have been to?

This is why I wish I could get rid of Google Maps. Nothing wrong with the business, it's an accurate description, but they just seem creepy in these cases.

You are joking, right? Google is a data company ... the descriptions were likely mined from food websites, such as OpenTable.

Highway63

I am looking at GMaps in Chrome right now and all vertical and non-straight state lines are FUBAR'd. Instead of dashes they look like triangles, or dashes of increasing/decreasing width.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on December 12, 2015, 09:13:02 PM
I am looking at GMaps in Chrome right now and all vertical and non-straight state lines are FUBAR'd. Instead of dashes they look like triangles, or dashes of increasing/decreasing width.
Not seeing it in Lite Mode on Google Chrome.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

D-Dey65

I was trying to find an old house which appears to have been torn down, and the property belongs to the "Our Lady Of Loreto Roman Catholic Church, which is at  104 Greenwich Street, Hempstead, New York. The house in question was the Constance Wright House, which was at 90 Greenwich Street.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Constance_Wright_House,_90_Greenwich_Street,_Hempstead,_Nassau_County,_NY_HABS_NY,30-HEMP,6-_(sheet_7_of_7).tif

The trouble is, when I tried to look at their website in order to see if they have any info on the property, I found out that the website was to another church with the same name in Foxfield, Colorado!

And I don't see any provisions on the maps to inform them of this error!

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 06, 2016, 05:54:14 PM
And I don't see any provisions on the maps to inform them of this error!

Hit the "suggest an edit" button on the panel that slides out when you hit the "Our Lady of Loreto RCC" icon the map (it's three clicks down from the web address that you speak of). It allows you to change the web address and submit the change to Google, who will likely approve the change once they discover the error.

Thunderbyrd316

In case anybody is still interested, I am STILL able to access Classic Google Maps via ClassyGMaps despite continuing rumors that it is dead. Link: http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

billtm

Has anyone figured out how to get satellite imagery on the new google maps without having to go into lite mode? Because I still want to be able to drag the blue line in directions, but still see undistorted Satellite imagery. :hmmm:

jakeroot

Quote from: billtm on February 07, 2016, 11:24:35 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get satellite imagery on the new google maps without having to go into lite mode? Because I still want to be able to drag the blue line in directions, but still see undistorted Satellite imagery.

Hit the "menu" button (three horizontal lines) in the top left of Maps, and select "3D on" below the "Earth" label. This will change the label to "3D off" and will disable 3D imagery.

US 41

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 07, 2016, 06:16:36 PM
In case anybody is still interested, I am STILL able to access Classic Google Maps via ClassyGMaps despite continuing rumors that it is dead. Link: http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

I am. And thanks for the link.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.