News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

Waltham is also home to Brandeis University. Of course, being a college town in the Boston metro area is not really noteworthy.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2015, 09:37:10 PM
Waltham is also home to Brandeis University. Of course, being a college town in the Boston metro area is not really noteworthy.

And Bentley.  And the industrial revolution in the Western Hemisphere.  And a gleaming new Market Basket.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Back to the northern MA stretch of I-95 again:

Looking at the exit signage at Exits 51 & 52 (Endicott Rd. & Topsfield Rd.); I noticed that the order of destinations for the southbound BGS' are now the same as those for the northbound signs.  Previous generation signage (both from the 70s and from the 90s) carried MassDPW/Highway's long-standing practice of listing the right-turn destination first/left-turn destination second; the opposite of what MUTCD typically specifies.  The reasoning for such is because MassDPW/Highway/DOT normally lists the right-turn info. on the top D6 Paddle LGS at the end of the exit ramp and the left turn info. on the lower D8 panel.

Previous southbound signage for Exits 51 & 52 read:

EXIT 51
Endicott Rd.
Middleton
Topsfield

EXIT 52
Topsfield Rd.
   Boxford
  Topsfield

Minor nitpick, perhaps; but an observation nonetheless.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

MassDOT has recently opened a new off-ramp southbound for the University Ave./RR Station exit in Canton. The opening brought two new BGSs. Here's the one at the ramp itself:

While checking out these new signs, I notice MassDOT has replaced the existing D-6 Guide 'Paddle' signs at the East Street/Canton Street exit. Here's the new one northbound (also a new smaller style one on the left for southbound I-95):

The new signs do not have any destination signage, nor are there any MA 128 trailblazers at the exit ramps. For the complete set of photos go to the Add-A-Lane section of my I-95 Photo Page: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html#addalane

noelbotevera

MassDOT be damned if they omit Route 128. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Route 128 is love. Route 128 is life. Route 128 is GOD.

southshore720

Quote from: bob7374 on September 23, 2015, 06:04:18 PM
MassDOT has recently opened a new off-ramp southbound for the University Ave./RR Station exit in Canton.
Was this part of the original "Add-A-Lane" project plan, or was this in response to the growing retail sprawl along University Avenue?

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on September 24, 2015, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 23, 2015, 06:04:18 PM
MassDOT has recently opened a new off-ramp southbound for the University Ave./RR Station exit in Canton.
Was this part of the original "Add-A-Lane" project plan, or was this in response to the growing retail sprawl along University Avenue?
The new southbound ramp at Exit 13 was constructed as part of the current re-development of the University Avenue area.  The pavement marking and signing changes within the East Street Rotary were also done as part of the same development work.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

At the MA 16 interchange in Newton; the new style D6 LGS (mixed-case lettering for Providence, RI & no longer a paddle) is now posted for for the entrance ramp for I-95 southbound from MA 16 eastbound.  I was able to get a photo of it.

Now I just have to learn how to post such on-line.  I, personally, have never done such before.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 29, 2015, 09:32:02 AM
At the MA 16 interchange in Newton; the new style D6 LGS (mixed-case lettering for Providence, RI & no longer a paddle) is now posted for for the entrance ramp for I-95 southbound from MA 16 eastbound.  I was able to get a photo of it.

Now I just have to learn how to post such on-line.  I, personally, have never done such before.

I recommend Imgur. They make it very easy. Go to their site, click Upload Images at the top, follow the instructions. It will even give you the right code to paste in your reply here. Just copy the code for BBCode and you'll be all set.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 29, 2015, 09:32:02 AM

Here's PHLBOS's photo that I've posted on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Page:http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html

bob7374

The re-configuring of the MA 9 interchange interchange to close two right-hand ramps and replace them with left-turn ramps has brought changes to ramp signage, including this BGS with the preexisting right angled arrow shifted to the other side to point left:

More images of the MA 9 interchange signs and other new photos of progress along the I-95 Add-A-Lane Project are can be found at:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html#addalane

bob7374

The MassDOT project listing now indicates the sign replacement contract between Peabody and Georgetown is now 100% complete. I can confirm the southern section is finished from a recent drive-through that allowed me to re-take some of the photos that I had shot in the rain a few months earlier. Such as this 1/2 mile advance SB for the US 1 exit:

The rest of the new, or newer, shots between US 1 and Topsfield Rd are now on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html after the Westwood photos.

The next sign replacement project along I-95 will not be until 2018 when signage between the RI border and current Exit 11 Neponset St. (Future Exit 23) is updated. (Apparently new signage NB for the I-93/I-95 interchange will be part of the upcoming reconstruction project).

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on February 05, 2016, 11:17:15 AM
The next sign replacement project along I-95 will not be until 2018 when signage between the RI border and current Exit 11 Neponset St. (Future Exit 23) is updated. (Apparently new signage NB for the I-93/I-95 interchange will be part of the upcoming reconstruction project).

That is correct - signing for the I-95/I-93 interchange will be replaced as part of the flyover project.  A little bird (no, not Twitter) tells me that the replacement signs on I-95 northbound will also be 'standard' diagrammatics, only with a more conventional arrow configuration to represent the new 'split' at the exit.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Upcoming when?  Don't tell me the only cold place this winter is hell, and there's some kind of movement on this project...

bob7374

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
Upcoming when?  Don't tell me the only cold place this winter is hell, and there's some kind of movement on this project...
A link to the MassDOT I-93/I-95 interchange project page:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/cantoninterchange.aspx

The first phase, reconstructing the University Ave. on-ramp from I-95 SB is complete. The winning bid for the Dedham Street related (Phase II) work is to be announced next Tuesday (2/9). I assume the actual interchange construction will occur after that project is completed.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bob7374 on February 05, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/cantoninterchange.aspx

The first phase, reconstructing the University Ave. on-ramp from I-95 SB is complete. The winning bid for the Dedham Street related (Phase II) work is to be announced next Tuesday (2/9). I assume the actual interchange construction will occur after that project is completed.

Sorry, I just realized you're talking about the OTHER 93/95 interchange.

MazdaStrider

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 02:45:33 PM

Sorry, I just realized you're talking about the OTHER 93/95 interchange.

I also believe that both I-93/95 interchanges are proposed to be redesigned. I know the Canton interchange is.. but what about the other junction north of Boston?>

Pete from Boston

The last I knew, it was stuck in some kind of purgatory brought on by objections of local homeowners to land takings.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 05:24:39 PM
The last I knew, it was stuck in some kind of purgatory brought on by objections of local homeowners to land takings.

As I understand it, the neighborhood in the northeast quadrant of the Woburn I-95/I-93 interchange has been fighting the proposed improvements based on inaccurate information regarding land takings (the story goes that, at one point, the neighborhood claimed they were told that 175 to 200 houses would need to be taken to construct the project), as well as purely NIMBY objections about being able to see flyover ramps from their properties (this angle occassionaly makes the front page of the local Reading newspaper).  Apparently, the leader of this opposition is well connected and has taken this fight all the way to FHWA in Washington DC.

Back when former Massachusetts State Treasurer Shannon O'Brien was running for Governor against Mitt Romney in 2003, she sent out a form letter to every unenrolled voter in the communities in the vicinity of the interchange - including Wakefield and Wilmington - stating that if she were elected Governor, one of her first acts in office would be to direct MassHighway to stop work on the project and go back to square one.  For myself and others I know, the very negative tone of the letter (I wish I still had my copy) convinced us to not vote for her in the election (and no, I did not vote for the Mittster, but gave my vote to a third party candidate so their party would have a better chance to be eligible to be on the ballot the next time around).

The official reason why the project is currently in limbo is lack of funding.  However, given the background, it's apparent the project is a political hot potato.  For one thing, it's no longer classified as a transportation improvement project, but rather as a transportation improvement study - see http://www.9395info.com/ .

Sadly, it looks like it's going to take a serious crash with multiple fatalities and/or major roadway damage - I'll let you use your imaginations here - for the powers to be to wake up and realize that construction of this project is very important for the region.

bob7374

Quote from: MazdaStrider on February 05, 2016, 05:18:50 PM

I also believe that both I-93/95 interchanges are proposed to be redesigned. I know the Canton interchange is.. but what about the other junction north of Boston?>
It looks like the announcement of the winning bid for the Dedham St phase now has been postponed to 3/22, based on a browsing of today's advertisement list on MassDOT's website.

bob7374

I made a quick road trip through the Dedham and Needham sections of I-95 yesterday to photo some of the new signs put in at exit on-ramps as part of the Add-A-Lane project. The most interesting was that MassDOT put in both an overhead BGS and a ground-mounted guide sign at the on-ramps from MA 109. Here's one:

More photos have been posted on the Add-A-Lane section of my I-95 in MA Gallery site:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html#addalane

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on April 25, 2016, 03:15:47 PM
Similar was commented on Facebook: it looks like MassDOT took a page out of Maryland for its gore exit signage.  Nice touch IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

PHLBOS is correct.  At locations such as the entrance ramps from Route 109, MassDOT has started phasing out use of gore signs that indicate "EXIT", which are actually inaccurate for freeway entrances from secondary roads, in favor of gore signs with the cardinal direction and route shield for the route you are entering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.