News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee Bridge Replacement?

Started by Ian, April 16, 2009, 09:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2011, 09:00:26 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 18, 2011, 07:38:45 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 18, 2011, 06:44:15 PMI can't think of another case where there is a toll bridge linking two states.

what about historically?  though I cannot think of any bridges either, and therefore refer to toll ferries - say, crossing the Mississippi River.

A number of the Ohio River bridges were toll in the past. You can see quite a few of them on old maps.

Yes, some, such as the Newell Toll Bridge. But in those cases there's no bi-state agency, each operates on its own (similar to Dingmans).

NE2

Quote from: Steve on October 18, 2011, 06:44:15 PM
I can't think of another case where there is a toll bridge linking two states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabash_Memorial_Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Harmony_Toll_Bridge

There was a toll bridge between Iowa and Missouri until ca. 2004, when the new Avenue of the Saints bridge opened: http://www.iowahighwayends.net/ends/ia27.html http://www.iowadot.gov/historicbridges/detail.asp?id=120
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on October 18, 2011, 06:44:15 PM
.... I can't think of another case where there is a toll bridge linking two states. So NJ is just the odd man out in this great nation.

US-301 crossing of the Potomac near Dahlgren, Virginia, is a toll bridge, toll collected one-way southbound (i.e., from Maryland to Virginia). As you note, it's not a bi-state toll agency operating it, primarily because the entire Potomac River is within Maryland's borders (this due to the original colonial charters issued back in the 1600s).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

newyorker478

Quote from: Chris on April 17, 2009, 01:27:40 PM
Well, New City to Midtown Manhattan is like 40 miles if you want to avoid the GW Bridge. But maybe I'm too used to my own 1.5 mile commute  :) I used to commute 6 miles, which took me half an hour by car.

Most people commuting to NYC will use the GWB..as the Palisades Parkway entrance is not  usually too bad...better than Tappan Zee to the Deegan, which is always bad.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: New York Governor Cuomo pushing ahead for new Tappan Zee Bridge on state Thruway but no finance plan yet

QuoteAfter more than a decade of wishful thinking about transit as the centerpiece of reconstruction of the Tappan Zee Bridge  (TZB) over the Hudson River north of New York City plus rail and bus in some 30 miles of the corridor, state governor Andrew Cuomo has slimmed the project down to replacing the highway bridge - which has a chance to be substantially funded with toll revenues. The State Thruway is procuring a design-build contractor for a new bridge to built alongside the existing 1955 steel truss structure that is seriously deteriorated as well as obsolete.  It would then be removed from the shallow muddy bed of this wide estuarial river.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

HaleMoana

Fantastic news.  Even though it's on the expedite list, this will still be a very long project most likely taking SEVERAL years.    :banghead:

Great stuff though... can't wait.   :clap:
- Jersey Driver -

cpzilliacus

Quote from: HaleMoana on January 05, 2012, 11:32:39 PM
Fantastic news.  Even though it's on the expedite list, this will still be a very long project most likely taking SEVERAL years.    :banghead:

Great stuff though... can't wait.   :clap:

Agreed.

I don't live in New York (or anyplace close), but the Tappan Zee Bridge is one of those bridgecrossings that is vital to the national transportation network, and the impact of the loss of this link, even for a little while, would ripple to many states besides New York (and nearby New Jersey).

And more than once credible source has said that the T-Z might not withstand even a (smallish) earthquake, especially alarming given the impact of the recent (small) quake in Mineral, Virginia. 

So the Governor of New York is right to get this going.  Sooner rather than  later.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Yeah; taking out just one lane of it creates backups that are hours long.  Imagine taking out the whole bridge!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.