News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Dakota Rest Area Study

Started by M86, January 16, 2015, 04:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

http://www.sddot.com/transportation/highways/planning/specialstudies/docs/InterstateRestAreaInvestmentStudyFINALReportSeptember2014.pdf

They didn't include all of them... but the study is interesting.  Are Rest Areas going to become extinct?

Fixed link. -Z

SD Mapman

Well, with towns with truck stops every hour or so, why do you need rest areas? It'd probably help the state if they pout a convenience store at each of them... as of now the only worthwhile one is Chamberlain, and that only during tourist season.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Brandon

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 16, 2015, 07:48:22 PM
Well, with towns with truck stops every hour or so, why do you need rest areas? It'd probably help the state if they pout a convenience store at each of them... as of now the only worthwhile one is Chamberlain, and that only during tourist season.

Why would I want to get off the freeway and stop at a dirty, highly trafficked truck stop where I can easily get into an accident that will leave my car in tatters?  Give me a public rest area any day of the week.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SD Mapman

Quote from: Brandon on January 16, 2015, 07:51:18 PM

Why would I want to get off the freeway and stop at a dirty, highly trafficked truck stop where I can easily get into an accident that will leave my car in tatters?  Give me a public rest area any day of the week.
Hey, our truck stops are nice. (Especially the Flying J's) I will say, though, the Badlands Travel Stop at Exit 152 is pretty sketchy.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

Truck stops every hour or so?  Have you driven I-29 and I-90 in SD?   The Rest Areas are wanted.  I just can't say any more.

rarnold

I remember heading across I-90 back in the 1990's, and their weren't a lot of services. Plus, the rest areas provide places for people to get off the highway that aren't on/off ramps, especially in inclement weather situations. I'm not a proponent of building new rest areas, but refurbishing existing rest areas. Iowa is doing a lot of this, for example.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on January 20, 2015, 02:18:50 AM
Truck stops every hour or so?  Have you driven I-29 and I-90 in SD?   The Rest Areas are wanted.  I just can't say any more.
Spearfish, Rapid, Wall, Kadoka, Murdo, Chamberlain, Mitchell, and Sioux Falls are all good stopping towns. I don't think I've ever stopped at a rest area when I drive across the state.

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 22, 2015, 09:17:14 AM
Quote from: M86 on January 20, 2015, 02:18:50 AM
Spearfish, Rapid, Wall, Kadoka, Murdo, Chamberlain, Mitchell, and Sioux Falls are all good stopping towns. I don't think I've ever stopped at a rest area when I drive across the state.
Well, you live in SD, and I used to, and I stopped at Rest Areas often.  For truckers, a Rest Area is ideal... A good place to rest.  Some of the towns that you list don't have true "Truck Stops".   I've driven across the state many times, both north and south, and I'd rather stop at a rest area than venturing into some towns.  I-29 between Brookings and the ND border is barren, except for Watertown and Summit.  These are long stretches.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.