OK: ODOT spends stimulus funds on fancier cable barriers

Started by Scott5114, November 26, 2009, 12:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11576458

Channel 6 in Tulsa is running this story about ODOT spending its ARRA funds on cable barriers. That's not the issue so much, but rather that ODOT is using 4-cable barriers at a cost of $125,000 per mile while bordering states have been using 3-cable barriers for $100,000 per mile. Both pass the federal minimum safety test. ODOT says they are using the 4-cable barriers because they hold up better to semi impacts and they don't want to save money if it means cutting corners on safety.

My view is that if ODOT has reason (studies) to believe the 4-cable system is better, then by all means, spend the extra cash to get the best we can get. I'd like OK to have higher-quality roads.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

On  I-40 near Gore, the cables are installed at the edge of the pavement on one side of the highway or the other.  Wouldn't it be much safer if the cables were in the middle of the median?  The median is pretty wide in this area.

Scott5114

It's likely something to do with the geometry of the median. Is the center of the median much lower than the lanes?

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2010, 09:24:09 PM
It's likely something to do with the geometry of the median. Is the center of the median much lower than the lanes?

Yes the center of the median is lower than the lanes on this stretch.

Sykotyk

That's the reason. If a fast moving car caroms into the median, it may simply sail right on over the cable barriers and into the opposing lane.

bugo

They seem like they would be unsafe to me because if a car runs into them, it would cause the car to bounce back into traffic instead of being allowed to go meet a cable in the middle of the median.

Scott5114

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.