News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Malls bare the same fate to disappear in the next decade or so, a victim of the everchanging economy and were replaced by wal-marts or other big-box retail chains and dollar stores are the rage due to our terrible "great recession" changed many of our buying habits.

Wal-Marts are very common in the Southeast, Midwest and South Central states with Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma (where my mother's side of the family lives in Tulsa) and Texas definitely is the original market base for Sam Walton's original chain of 5-and-dime stores 50 years ago. Home Depot drove out most of the home improvement store business except Lowe's still survives.

Kroger is based in Ohio and covers the entire eastern states, esp. in the Ohio River valley, Great Lakes states and the Deep South...a national chain to surpassed Safeway stores inc. based in San Francisco, when Kroger acquired Ralph's in L.A. area of Southern Cal. (I'm currently an employee for them while I'm a grocery store clerk) and Ralph's is comparably an upscale suburban supermarket chain.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

roadman65

In the Orlando area malls are becoming outdoor promenades.  The famous Beltz Factory Outlet Mall at the end of International Drive was turned into the Prime Outlet Mall.  What was once two indoor facilities was demolished to make a new giant outdoor complex.

In Kissimmee a plaza called The Loop was built along the new Osceola Parkway that replaced US 192 corridor and is responsible for Kissimmee going downhill along what was once a well known area for people to lodge when visiting the Orlando area Theme Parks.  The Loop is a very popular place for locals to shop and has most of the big chain stores within it like JC Penney, Kohls, Bealls, and Sports Authority.  Plus it has a stadium type of seating movie theaters that gives locals a place to view new movies.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

When I first came to Florida, I used to see faded signs for the former Bayonet Point Mall on US 19 in Bayonet Point, that's now entirley a Wal-Mart.  The Crystal River Mall, on the northwest edge of Crystal River looks like it's on it's last legs.

From what I read on Wikipedia, Nanuet Mall is either dead, or practically dead.

roadman65

I wonder if Staten Island Mall is dead.  It never had all of its units rented out back in the 70s, so I would imagine that it never picked up since unless the Clinton era had its hayday.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

I don't have any article links handy, but the former Port Plaza Mall, later Washington Commons, a huge 1970s-era two-level mall in downtown Green Bay, WI is about to begin demolition, the city council approved the contract at their most recent meeting.  Plans are to restore most of the street grid and sell the land off for redevelopment.  There are interested parties with decent proposals.

See:
http://binged.it/ydxNhg

This might be an interesting stop for a potential NE Wisconsin meet.

Mike

PAHighways

Quote from: ctsignguy on January 20, 2012, 07:30:34 PM5. Eastland Mall.

Must be something with the name, as Pittsburgh's Eastland Mall is very much dead.  It was going strong with stores such as Gimbels, JCPenny, and Sears at its height, but the end came in the mid-80s.  Not only was the steel industry collapsing, and being situated in the Mon Valley (the river was just behind it) really hurt as patronage dropped as people moved to find work, but Gimbles (who also owned the mall) went out of business.

It lingered as an indoor flea market until the mid-00s when it was entirely demolished.  Rumors of redeveloping the land have been talked about since, but with it located well off US 30, it isn't a prime retail location.

roadman65

Back in the 80s Indoor Flea Markets ruled!  All the ones that were popular in Northern New Jersey (Union Marketplace, Watchung Market, and US 1 Flea Market) have perished back in the 90s.   I guess the phase is over.

Sheryl Crowe

ARMOURERERIC

I have a take from another angle:  Was at Allegheny Center in Pittsburgh opening week, same with Century 3, in later years was a regular at both Coliseum and Newmarket Fair in Newport news/Hampton in their heyday.  Was a regular at Allegheny Center for allmost 15 years.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 14, 2012, 06:51:29 PM
Medley Center has two anchor stores at either end (Sears and Macy's), and NOTHING in the actual mall...and there's no access to the mall at all.  There is this grand plan to create a mixed-use development, but the developed has defaulted on some of the payments-in-lieu-of-taxes. Though the developer claims he is still going forward, I'm skeptical.

Midtown Plaza is definitely no more...a literal hole in the ground.  I've watched the demolition from my cube over the past couple of years.  There too, a mixed-use development is supposed to be built, including some new streets to fill in the city grid. 

This brings back memories that make me sad.  From 1985-88 I dated a wonderful lady who live near University and Prince.  For at least 2 Chrisrtmas' we would forego the big mall down at Jefferson and Henrietta and would walk Main Street, shopping at the main Sibley's and Midtown, downtown Rochester still seems to at least be vibrant on Main Street at that point.

msubulldog

Windsor Park Mall in San Antonio may fall into this category.  :banghead: :verymad:
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

cpzilliacus

No mention in this thread of Landover Mall in Prince George's County, Maryland.  It's located next to the Capital Beltway (I-95/I-495) at Md. 202 (Exit 17). 

It was an enclosed mall from the start in the early 1970's, and did well for some years, with Sears, Hecht's and two other anchors, but started to go downhill in the 1980's, as crime worsened in blocks near the mall, which were dominated by garden apartments.

Now the entire mall has been razed, except for the Sears store, which remains open, is rumored to be moving south to a new location at the Ritchie-Marlboro Road (Exit 13) interchange.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hobsini2

The long closed Dixie Square Mall in Harvey IL finally got the wrecking ball this week even though the mall closed back in 1978.
The significance of this mall? Anyone?

It was where the famous "mall-chase" scene in "The Blues Brothers" took place. It was filmed in 1979 after the mall closed.

Apparantly, the city of Harvey has had a difficult time getting a wrecking crew in so the land can be redeveloped.

It is still shown on Google Maps in Satellite view but not sure for how much longer.  It's on the southeast corner of Dixie Hwy and 151st St.

Here is a map of the mall itself.

http://deadmalls.com/malls/dixie_square_mall/dixie_square_dir_inside.jpg
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stephane Dumas

The Plaza Rock Forest on PQ-112 in Sherbrooke who had once a Provigo supermarket and Woolco got the wrecking ball visit this week. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/la-tribune/sherbrooke/201202/17/01-4497106-les-terrasses-rock-forest-rongees-par-larriere-video.php

texaskdog

Highland Mall in Austin.  I work a block from it, last time I was in there it was about 1/3 full and that was with all the kiosk stores moving into full spaces.  The food court was about half full.  I haven't been in there in a year and a half and I know 2 more anchors are gone.  For those not in Austin, this was the mall Beavis & Butthead went to.  :)

mgk920

There was some discussion on one of the Milwaukee radio stations a few days ago about the meteoric fall of the Drown Deer Rd commercial Big Box™ strip area around the former Northridge Mall on the City of Milwaukee's far north side and the city government's apparent total disinterest in the situation there.  Even the Walmart- at 76th/Brown Deer is closing.  It's like the whole area is emptying out.

Amazing.

:-o

Mike

golden eagle

I was out at Metrocenter Mall earlier today and I didn't realize how dead-looking that place is. There are very few stores open on the bottom floor. To make matters worse, the only Sears department store in the area is closing soon. Burlington Coat Factory is the only anchor there. The city of Jackson is still expected to move some offices there, so hopefully, it won't go totally down.

OCGuy81

QuoteIn the Orlando area malls are becoming outdoor promenades.

Southern California seems to like these as well.  The Anaheim Garden Walk opened a few years back and is an outdoor promenade.  Restaurants, higher end retailers.  I think this is going to be the new normal of retail.  Instead of big box stores, and horrific A/C bills, outdoor promenades with smaller stores.

I also see big box stores in general heading into decline.  I'm starting to see more and more Best Buy Express kiosks and even Best Buy "vending machines".  A sign of things to come?

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on February 18, 2012, 12:52:26 PM
There was some discussion on one of the Milwaukee radio stations a few days ago about the meteoric fall of the Drown Deer Rd commercial Big Box™ strip area around the former Northridge Mall on the City of Milwaukee's far north side and the city government's apparent total disinterest in the situation there.  Even the Walmart- at 76th/Brown Deer is closing.  It's like the whole area is emptying out.

Amazing.

:-o

Mike
I heard the same thing too.  I remember going down to Northridge quite often as a kid.  I loved having two large toy stores so close (Children's Palace and Toys 'R Us).  I still remember when Lego had their traveling shows, which made a stop at Northridge (will never forget the life-sized Lego Liberty Bell).

Crime (no perception, actual observation) has not been kind to that stretch of road.  I still remember the thriving upscale car dealerships coming in from the north (around 91st St?).  I remember stopping at the Dunkin Doughnuts that used to be on that corner.  Lowes left, Walmart's leaving (but I've heard that's partially because they can't expand that location for full grocery), Circuit City went out of business, Best Buy moved further out to the 'burbs, Stein's Garden Center pulled out, and there's also rumors that Target may not be too far down the line from leaving as well.  I'm surprised American TV is still there.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on March 04, 2012, 04:18:42 AM
Some images of the in-progress demolition of the former Port Plaza Mall in downtown Green Bay, WI have been posted:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/green-bay-mayor-tours-downtown-port-plaza-mall-demolition
http://www.wbay.com/story/17067406/green-bay-recycles-washington-commons-mall
and
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120303/GPG0101/203030600/Leaders-get-last-look-former-downtown-Green-Bay-mall?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Enjoy!

Mike
Does that mall have/did it have a fancy "tower" clock & bell inside of it?  Or am I remembering some other mall in the Fox Cities?  If so, is it being salvaged?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

US71

Springfield, MO had North Town Mall, but it was slowly dying, especially after Herr's went bankrupt and closed. At the end, about the only store left was Wal-Mart which has now replaced NorthTown with a large Supercenter.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Landmark Mall in Alexandria, VA, isn't yet dead but it's quickly dying, has been for some time. It was originally an outdoor promenade-style mall with two anchors (Sears and Hecht's). Like at the late Landover Mall mentioned up the thread by cpzilliacus, the department stores actually owned their buildings instead of leasing them from the mall. At some point in the early 1980s it was rebuilt into an indoor mall and expanded and spiffed up, though it was never a huge smashing success. Now they're planning to raze it (except, again, for Sears and perhaps Macy's, which bought Hecht's around 2005 or so) and convert it back to an outdoor promenade-style like it used to be.

My gut tells me it'll never be a great success. Not a pedestrian-friendly location despite lots of apartments and condos nearby, and most people who drive will just go to any of the other much nicer (and easier-to-access) malls throughout the area. Landmark's demographics are off-putting to many retailers, too. My brother worked loss prevention at Sears some years back and he said it's considered an "inner-city" mall due to the demographics and the major shoplifting problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

F350

Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg, Maryland was put up on the block a few days ago. While the mall is nearly fully occupied, most people refuse to go near the mall. This is due to the transit center in front of it. Criminal activity has been growing without action in sight. It's the next Landover Mall.

White Flint Mall in nearby Rockville is being slicked for redevelopment as well.

As for malls on the whole, the suburban mall concept is obsolete today.

More people are turning anti-social and shop online these days. Or don't shop at all, due to the recession. Younger professionals also don't gravitate to malls anymore.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 17, 2012, 11:38:22 PM
The long closed Dixie Square Mall in Harvey IL finally got the wrecking ball this week even though the mall closed back in 1978.
The significance of this mall? Anyone?

It was where the famous "mall-chase" scene in "The Blues Brothers" took place. It was filmed in 1979 after the mall closed.

Apparantly, the city of Harvey has had a difficult time getting a wrecking crew in so the land can be redeveloped.

It is still shown on Google Maps in Satellite view but not sure for how much longer.  It's on the southeast corner of Dixie Hwy and 151st St.

Here is a map of the mall itself.

http://deadmalls.com/malls/dixie_square_mall/dixie_square_dir_inside.jpg

They haven't had problems getting them in. They've had problems getting the job finished.

Second, only the Block D and TurnStyle portions got the wrecking ball then. Don't quote me on work now.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mgk920

Quote from: DaBigE on March 04, 2012, 04:49:01 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 04, 2012, 04:18:42 AM
Some images of the in-progress demolition of the former Port Plaza Mall in downtown Green Bay, WI have been posted:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/green-bay-mayor-tours-downtown-port-plaza-mall-demolition
http://www.wbay.com/story/17067406/green-bay-recycles-washington-commons-mall
and
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120303/GPG0101/203030600/Leaders-get-last-look-former-downtown-Green-Bay-mall?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Enjoy!

Mike

Does that mall have/did it have a fancy "tower" clock & bell inside of it?  Or am I remembering some other mall in the Fox Cities?  If so, is it being salvaged?

It did, but the clock was returned to its old home in a small town in Mississippi(?) not long after the mall closed in 2003.  I forget the name of the place offhand, but you should be able to search it out.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.