News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Nice. I love the squared off font on the Business 31 signs.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Quillz

It was next to someone's house, not technically on mainline 42 but easily visibly. I'll check Google Maps later to try to pinpoint the location.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on August 19, 2011, 01:52:24 PM
It was next to someone's house, not technically on mainline 42 but easily visibly. I'll check Google Maps later to try to pinpoint the location.

so not quite in service?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I dunno, it was easily visible from the road, as it faces the eastbound traffic, but not a true reassurance marker, I guess. I wish I had stopped and gotten a pic of it.

ctsignguy

Some goodies from my trip last weekend....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

US71

Don't remember if I've already posted these

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Quillz

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on August 24, 2011, 04:31:36 AMAlt 405, Sepulveda Blvd between 10 and 101

near there is a black guide sign for Church Ln!

it's a City of LA installation from probably the early 1970s.  the 405 green sign dates to 1972.  

the fact that one pole is taller than the other implies that at one point there was a shield on top of the gantry, but I cannot definitively reconstruct what it must've looked like before 1972.

in the background, you can see a more recent Los Angeles sign - a retroreflective one from the late 70s or early 80s for Church Lane and Sunset Bl.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

These have to be the best blue 101 shields left in Phoenix

vtk

http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.92596,-82.866313&spn=0.002991,0.005466&t=k&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.92596,-82.866313&panoid=hYuEiTeIpZDMZEGv-vgTTA&cbp=12,59.93,,0,-3

This sign is just classic.  (At least 30 years old I think...)  Entirely white-on-green button copy, with E(M) for the names and D(M) (I think) for the non-name portion of the action message.  These days they'd probably screw up and put the whole action message in the same size and capitalization.

I'd like to get a high-res picture, but I'm never on that side of town except when I'm on the job...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Quillz

Are street blades with bottom-center address tabs an old design? I noticed one when driving home today, and it's certainly not a style I've seen very often. I can tell it's rather old, but still in very good condition. I'll have to get a pic of it next time I go by there.

Eth

Quote from: Quillz on September 07, 2011, 08:28:07 PM
Are street blades with bottom-center address tabs an old design? I noticed one when driving home today, and it's certainly not a style I've seen very often. I can tell it's rather old, but still in very good condition. I'll have to get a pic of it next time I go by there.

I'd say that depends entirely on the jurisdiction.  In Washington, DC, for instance, such tabs are ubiquitous (if I understand correctly what you're referring to).

Rick1962

Quote from: Quillz on September 07, 2011, 08:28:07 PM
Are street blades with bottom-center address tabs an old design?

Yes, they are. They were very commonly used in Southern California starting in the 1950s, with new installs being done into the early '70s.

The most common ones were dark blue with white lettering, but there were many different color combinations used by various municipalities, especially in Orange County. Some even had the city name in very small lettering so you'd know which suburb you were in.

Sure, they were hard to read at night, but they gave some personality to suburbia. Oh, well...

brownpelican

I-20 West, Jackson, Miss.

Old street blades in Columbia, Miss.
Miss. 13 hasn't been running through the heart of Columbia for at least 25 years.

Bogalusa, La. (there's a better sign eastbound on La. 10 I will get when time permits.)

Still going strong in Bogalusa...La. 10 (Carolina Avenue) at Austin Street.

Quillz

An old stop sign, about a block from my house:

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

thenetwork

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 11, 2011, 12:28:01 AM
Few from New Hampshire:

I also nominate this particular picture for the WORST of road signs -- moreso because the gore sign should be a green EXIT sign...NOT a KEEP RIGHT sign.  :pan:

Technically, those who don't exit here are breaking the law as they are not keeping to the right.   :)

myosh_tino

Quote from: thenetwork on September 12, 2011, 03:28:26 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 11, 2011, 12:28:01 AM
Few from New Hampshire:

I also nominate this particular picture for the WORST of road signs -- moreso because the gore sign should be a green EXIT sign...NOT a KEEP RIGHT sign.  :pan:

Technically, those who don't exit here are breaking the law as they are not keeping to the right.   :)
The road looks like a conventional highway (two lanes with double-yellow down the middle) not a freeway which begs the question, is this even an "exit"?  With that said, I do agree that that is not an appropriate use of a KEEP RIGHT sign.

EDIT: After looking at Google Maps, the photo was taken on the Spaulding Turnpike which is a divided limited access highway up until this point where it narrows down to a 2-lane highway.  The satellite image also shows the highway being widened.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Ian

Quote from: thenetwork on September 12, 2011, 03:28:26 AM
I also nominate this particular picture for the WORST of road signs -- moreso because the gore sign should be a green EXIT sign...NOT a KEEP RIGHT sign.  :pan:

Technically, those who don't exit here are breaking the law as they are not keeping to the right.   :)

Somehow I just noticed this!

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 12, 2011, 02:55:14 PM
EDIT: After looking at Google Maps, the photo was taken on the Spaulding Turnpike which is a divided limited access highway up until this point where it narrows down to a 2-lane highway.  The satellite image also shows the highway being widened.

Yep and yep. NHDOT is currently widening the turnpike from Rochester up to around the Milton town line.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

From March 2010- I love unique county signs- this in Jefferson County, Colorado

Then there are a bunch of outline SR 89A shields that have popped up in the many roundabouts between Sedona and Prescott, and those are really cool

Quillz

I agree about the latter: Oftentimes, non-cutout route markers can look a lot better by just adding a simple black border along the outside. Makes it stand out well against signs, I think.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:

Kind of similar to the Arizona example above, just putting a black border around an otherwise standard '70 shield makes it look a lot better. California does something similar with their US Route shields on BGS.

formulanone

^ South Carolina uses that for their US Route shields, and I think it's a nice touch.

-------------------

Beat to hell, serving well...on I-710:

San Bernardino Freeway signs at I-710 by formulanone, on Flickr

brownpelican

Classic street blades - Amite City, La.:

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2011, 08:34:12 PM
^ South Carolina uses that for their US Route shields, and I think it's a nice touch.

-------------------

Beat to hell, serving well...on I-710:

The font(s) they used for San Bernadino looks weird.  What font(s) did they use for that???  And was that particular font ever used on any other sign???

formulanone

Quote from: thenetwork on September 18, 2011, 10:46:31 PM
The font(s) they used for San Bernadino looks weird.  What font(s) did they use for that???  And was that particular font ever used on any other sign???

Funny you mention that, I took this shot before it because the font did look odd, but it really just looks "compressed". (I'm not a big road sign font guru - I can't remember the "series" - but I tend to notice if anything looks "out of place".)

I-710's Exits by formulanone, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.