Debris being thrown at drivers on Indiana 45

Started by sd72667, September 17, 2013, 07:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd72667

There have been reports from numerous truck drivers that vehicles are being hit by debris, rocks and bricks on Indiana 45 between Hwy 445 and Stanford, 10 miles south of Bloomington Indiana. Several employees I work with at UPS have experienced damage to their tractors and trailers and several Dayton drivers have also had damage to their tractors. It seems someone is targeting only semi drivers. Several drivers have stated that a pick up truck was driving toward them and someone was seen in the passenger side throwing objects. Has anyone heard anything about this going on? The Indiana State Police have been notified. It has been discussed that the culprits are angry about the extra truck traffic traveling along Hwy 45 due to the I-69 construction project.

silverback1065

Quote from: sd72667 on September 17, 2013, 07:54:09 PM
There have been reports from numerous truck drivers that vehicles are being hit by debris, rocks and bricks on Indiana 45 between Hwy 445 and Stanford, 10 miles south of Bloomington Indiana. Several employees I work with at UPS have experienced damage to their tractors and trailers and several Dayton drivers have also had damage to their tractors. It seems someone is targeting only semi drivers. Several drivers have stated that a pick up truck was driving toward them and someone was seen in the passenger side throwing objects. Has anyone heard anything about this going on? The Indiana State Police have been notified. It has been discussed that the culprits are angry about the extra truck traffic traveling along Hwy 45 due to the I-69 construction project.

Crazy people, but also stupid, State roads are supposed to be used by trucks!!!

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2013, 04:06:54 PM

Crazy people, but also stupid, State roads are supposed to be used by trucks!!!

My suspicion is that it is malcontents that are doing this because of anger over the highway, but it could also be a group of kids with nothing better to do. either way its not the way to make a point.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

andy

It has been discussed that the culprits are angry about the extra truck traffic traveling along Hwy 45 due to the I-69 construction project.

I asked a friend who lives in Bloomington and drives this route to work but he hadn't heard of any thing.  I expect the I-69 construction could play any number of roles; 1) anger of loosing the new terrain battle (possibly with property loss), 2) increased construction vehicle traffic and finally 3) increased through traffic for the unofficial detour from I-69's current termination at US 231.

In any case it's just plain stupid behavior.

Captain Jack

Wow..hopefully when they catch these idiots, they are charged with everything they possibly can be charged with.

If these clowns want to chain themselves to a tree, or hold hands and sing kum-ba-ya at a Bloomington Starbucks, then that is their business. But the fun ends when they start endangering peoples lives. It doesn't take a genius to imagine what could happen with a brick tossed through an open drivers side window....

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Indyroads on September 19, 2013, 06:13:52 PM
it could also be a group of kids with nothing better to do.

This.
It's exactly the kind of dumbass thing a couple of bored, small town teenagers would do for shits and giggles.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 22, 2013, 07:52:31 PM
Quote from: Indyroads on September 19, 2013, 06:13:52 PM
it could also be a group of kids with nothing better to do.

This.
It's exactly the kind of dumbass thing a couple of bored, small town teenagers would do for shits and giggles.

We had an issue with it along I-57 in south Cook and Will Counties back in the late 1980s.  A bunch of bored kids started throwing chunks of concrete off overpasses.  One guy got killed as a result of this when a large piece of concrete went through his windshield and hit him.

From the Chicago Tribune:

QuoteAssistant State`s Atty. Dori Leo had asked for a $1 million bond for Taylor and DeLorenzo, saying all three youths found the concrete beside the road and loaded it into the trunk of their car. She said they drove it to the overpass, where it was hurled over the rail.

``It took a thoughtful act on their part to decide how to transport the rock to the point where it was thrown,`` she said.

``They threw the 12-by-12 (inch) piece of concrete off the overpass and hit the windshield of the pickup truck. It shattered the windshield and crushed the face and skull of the victim.``

She also said DeLorenzo admitted to police his part in the slaying and said he acknowledged committing similar rock-throwing acts last spring or early summer.

According to sources familiar with the case, the three men told police that they and others had used the interstate overpass since August for a game of throwing rocks at cars and trucks. ``They said they had nothing to do, so they decided to play a game and give points for hits and near-misses,`` an investigator said.

It's not a game, it's not funny, and it can and does get people killed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on September 23, 2013, 06:45:02 PM
How do people not notice who is doing it?

Very easily.  People are very oblivious creatures.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

JMoses24

It's not just drivers that can be hurt by this. A passenger in a taxicab in Cincinnati in 2009, Joyce Baresel, was seriously injured when a rock went through the window and hit her, causing serious facial injuries among other damage. Two teenagers, one just 16, were charged at the time. I can't find information on what happened with the criminal case. However, Baresel received treatment for her injuries and has made a full recovery.  I should warn you, the video in the second link below contains graphic images.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090711/NEWS01/907120348/Girl-s-car-wash-aids-rock-throwing-victim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1T1TE6zwg

NE2

Quote from: JMoses24 on September 24, 2013, 04:01:10 AM
It's not just drivers that can be hurt by this.
Whoa, I had no idea. I thought the passenger-side windshield was specially reinforced.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on September 24, 2013, 04:29:48 AM
Whoa, I had no idea. I thought the passenger-side windshield was specially reinforced.

He's talking about backseat passengers if you bothered to read it.  The rock was thrown through the open side window.  Few ever think that backseat passengers could be injured or worse by this activity.

jeffandnicole

andy

Wandering a bit further from the topic, but: Side windows are made of temper glass which makes them relatively tough, but not particularly "reinforced".  They are particularly vulnerable to even modest impact if concentrated sharply enough.  Rescue personel often carry spring loaded automatic center punches to shatter these windows.  These punches (most effective near a corner) are very effective even on glass resistant to a distributed impact like a hammer would deliver.

One major advantage to tempered glass, while it does resist breaking, is that when it does break, it shatters into relatively harmless little pieces instead of large sharp shards.

And, back on topic.  This must have been relatively in-frequent, because no one I've talked to who lives in Bloomington and commute on IN45 have heard about it.

edit: I just realized the origional comment was windshield, not side glass, but I'll leave the post as is anyway.  I know as almost anyone else, the windshield in a lamanate glass.

agentsteel53

also, the steering wheel detaches and can be used as a throwing star to fight back.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SW Indiana

http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/2015349.html

Two juveniles accused of shooting out windows of vehicles traveling through eastern Greene County
Friday, October 18, 2013
By Anna Rochelle, Staff Writer

The Greene County Sheriff's Department has been receiving multiple reports of vehicle windows being shot out as drivers were traveling through an area in eastern Greene County.

Late Friday, GCSD Detective George Dallaire said criminal charges are pending against two male juvenile suspects.

Det. Dallaire said the reports started coming in on Aug. 31 and continued through Oct. 16, all from the same area on South State Road 45 and the I-69 construction zone.

Following an extensive investigation by Dallaire and Indiana State Police Trooper Eric Nash, charges are being filed against the two juveniles who both reside in the eastern Greene County area.

No further information regarding the identity of the juveniles or disposition of their cases is being released.
© Copyright 2013 Greene County Daily World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

sd72667

Quote from: SW Indiana on October 18, 2013, 05:39:14 PM
http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/2015349.html

Two juveniles accused of shooting out windows of vehicles traveling through eastern Greene County
Friday, October 18, 2013
By Anna Rochelle, Staff Writer

The Greene County Sheriff's Department has been receiving multiple reports of vehicle windows being shot out as drivers were traveling through an area in eastern Greene County.

Late Friday, GCSD Detective George Dallaire said criminal charges are pending against two male juvenile suspects.

Det. Dallaire said the reports started coming in on Aug. 31 and continued through Oct. 16, all from the same area on South State Road 45 and the I-69 construction zone.

Following an extensive investigation by Dallaire and Indiana State Police Trooper Eric Nash, charges are being filed against the two juveniles who both reside in the eastern Greene County area.

No further information regarding the identity of the juveniles or disposition of their cases is being released.
© Copyright 2013 Greene County Daily World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Great news

thenetwork

When I used to live in Northern Ohio (Medina County), they used to have volunteers who would spend most of the evenings around Halloween stationed on or near bridges over I-71.  I guess the thing to do at the time was to drop pumpkins off the bridges. 

Most of these bridges now have high, chain-link fences on the sides of the overpass to keep larger items (and people) from going over the edge.

NE2

In Cinci they wait a month and drop turkeys.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2013, 09:58:18 AM
In Cinci they wait a month and drop turkeys.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.