News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-75 to US 27 connector

Started by hbelkins, September 16, 2012, 01:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There's quite a debate going on over the proposed connector linking I-75 in northern Madison County to US 27 near Nicholasville.

There are dueling Facebook pages. https://www.facebook.com/I75Connector for the good guys and https://www.facebook.com/StopI75Connector for the bad guys.

This road has been needed for at least 30 years. I hope the anti-progress boneheaded NIMBYs don't stop it. They must have been asleep for all these years that more environmentally sensitive methods of construction have been developed. There is a definite need for this road and it would have been of great benefit to me from 2008-2010 when I was visiting my father who was in the veterans nursing home in Wilmore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NE2 on September 16, 2012, 09:55:15 PM
yawn...

What's the point of a comment like that?  If you don't care about the subject, then don't read the topic or post a reply. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NE2

The point is to clarify that we're not all choir boys here, and Hibby should take his preaching elsewhere.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NE2 on September 17, 2012, 11:02:12 AM
The point is to clarify that we're not all choir boys here, and Hibby should take his preaching elsewhere.

If you have a problem with the specific project, then please state it, because I'm trying to educate myself.  If you're beef is with his general view about the merits of building new roads, then please start a topic on that subject and people looking for information on specific projects can stay out of it.  If you're just following this guy around trolling, then please get a life. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

As a moderator, I am going on the record: Do not post "yawn" or similar trite, short comments that do not add to the discussion. That is one of the rules of this forum, and you are hereby officially warned. If you want to debate HB or anyone else, do so intelligently. You can debate why the road is needed or counter specific points (such as NIMBYs being "anti-progress boneheads"), but you need to exercise more thought in your posts. We will escalate warnings from this point on.

As a poster - HB, wtf? What if NIMBYs have legitimate concerns? It would help for you to first state facts and then opinions, rather than mixing the two. (Instead of "good guys" and "bad guys", just say "pro" and "anti", for example.) We're intelligent enough to take sides without you guiding us.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on September 17, 2012, 07:26:54 PM
As a poster - HB, wtf? What if NIMBYs have legitimate concerns? It would help for you to first state facts and then opinions, rather than mixing the two. (Instead of "good guys" and "bad guys", just say "pro" and "anti", for example.) We're intelligent enough to take sides without you guiding us.

That's just my opinion. I am in favor of the project. Thus I will take the side of the proponents and I'll side against the opponents. YMMV as to whom the good guys and bad guys are.

The opponents are making all the usual arguments -- destroying farmland, promoting sprawl, blah blah blah. Roads take property, yes, but if the road is built as a limited access highway (which I would read to be "super two") and if the local government stands firm on not allowing zone changes, sprawl won't be an issue.

I've wondered for 30 years why there wasn't a connector between Nicholasville and I-75. To get to Jessamine County from the interstate now involves the traffic light hell of Man O'War Blvd. and the retail nightmare of Nicholasville Road (US 27).

mukade

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2012, 11:52:46 PM
I've wondered for 30 years why there wasn't a connector between Nicholasville and I-75. To get to Jessamine County from the interstate now involves the traffic light hell of Man O'War Blvd. and the retail nightmare of Nicholasville Road (US 27).

I understand completely. Sort of like US 31 in Indiana from Indy to Peru.

hbelkins

Quote from: mukade on September 17, 2012, 11:59:12 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2012, 11:52:46 PM

I understand completely. Sort of like US 31 in Indiana from Indy to Peru.

It's not bad outside of Kokomo. And it's apples to oranges, because there is already a direct modern route from Indy to Peru, and yet there is not from the Richmond area to Nicholasville.

mukade

This is true, but it is also true to trust the judgment of people that suffer with inadequacies of local roads.

tidecat

Any news on this? The page in favor of building it has a timeline that would mean we would see activity in a few months.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

US 41

Everyone on here knows that I'm about saving money. In this case however, I think this new spur is a good idea, and I think it should be built. HB you're absolutely correct. I hope those NIMBYs don't stop it. Another good addition to this project would be building a connector (freeway) between Nicholasville and Frankfort.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SFPredsFan

I used to live in Lexington and Louisville, and like Tennessee, Kentucky has some horrible connections to their Interstates from county seats and smaller cities. Gov. Alexander tried to solved that problem back in the 80's by requiring every county seat to have a 4 lane highway to their nearest Interstate to promote access for jobs and development. I remember a requirement was the lowest contract bidder had to employ a certain percentage of locals to build or expand the roads but that might have changed since then. Some are Interstate standards but all are 4 lanes. It's almost done now some with great results, some with no results, and some with mixed results. I know it's cost billions, but if we never build access to rural area's with high unemployment and low wages we'll never help them.

One thing I've never understood is why the Daniel Boone and Mountain Parkway weren't and still haven't been built to 4 lane Interstate Standards that connect at their ends. The terrain is horrible and expensive to build through in Eastern Ky. but that entire part of Kentucky is extremely poor with no hope in sight. It's not enough to 4 lane it, companies want high speed (at least 55 mph) controlled access to plants they build. BTW, the last time I was time I was in Hazard, I couldn't believe all the men standing around downtown corners waiting to get picked up as a day worker like illegal aliens. I asked if they were waiting for a parade or something but was told by the locals they were waiting for day jobs. UNREAL!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.