News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois expressways that are proposed

Started by I-90, April 12, 2017, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is most likely?

Il 53 extension
12 (52.2%)
Fox valley freeway
0 (0%)
Illana tollway
1 (4.3%)
FAP 420 (Richmond bypass)
3 (13%)
None of the above
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: April 19, 2017, 05:39:34 PM

I-90

I

abefroman329

I-90

compdude787

What's FAP 420? Makes me think of...well, you know, stuff that is probably inappropriate for a forum like this.

inkyatari

Quote from: compdude787 on April 14, 2017, 04:17:54 PM
What's FAP 420? Makes me think of...well, you know, stuff that is probably inappropriate for a forum like this.

I believe the Richmond Bypass
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

The Ghostbuster

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

7/8

I've seen it mentioned here too, and I've been thinking the same thing :-D

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on April 14, 2017, 05:49:14 PM

I've seen it mentioned here too, and I've been thinking the same thing :-D

Wikipedia to the rescue!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

slorydn1

All the legal wrangling aside I think the 53 extension will eventually get done first. It may take our lifetimes to get it done, but I think it will eventually happen.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

johndoe780

Quote from: slorydn1 on April 16, 2017, 08:27:39 PM
All the legal wrangling aside I think the 53 extension will eventually get done first. It may take our lifetimes to get it done, but I think it will eventually happen.

Once the old money in Long grove and Hawthorn Woods dies, yep.

skluth

I think there is a better chance of an expressway connecting I-255 at Columbia, IL to Chester to Carbondale to I-24 than any of the above. Not that anyone is talking about it. Just fewer political hurdles if it works its way up the priority list.

mgk920

What's the latest on US 20 west of Freeport, IL?  IMHO, that one should be a top priority for upgrading to at least be a mirror of nearby US 151 in Wisconsin.

Mike

inkyatari

Quote from: mgk920 on April 24, 2017, 10:09:54 AM
What's the latest on US 20 west of Freeport, IL?  IMHO, that one should be a top priority for upgrading to at least be a mirror of nearby US 151 in Wisconsin.

Mike

Apparently no update. IDOT doesn't update their website very well, apparently..

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/US20-Freeport
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ET21

Mike

There's been nothing since they finally the 2-lane bypass upgrade around Freeport, which has been almost 5 years I believe?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on April 24, 2017, 05:37:33 PM

Mike

There's been nothing since they finally the 2-lane bypass upgrade around Freeport, which has been almost 5 years I believe?

I don't think there is really a traffic need for making US 20 a freeway (or even four lanes period) between Freeport and Galena. If anything, it should simply be upgraded to a four-lane divided expressway along the existing alignment (where possible). But there are a lot bigger needs around the state than the US 20 Freeport to Galena project.

I-39

Fox Valley Freeway and FAP 420 are dead and have not been seriously under consideration since the mid-90's. Only one that might be built is IL-53, and I am starting to doubt that will ever happen either.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on April 24, 2017, 06:01:35 PM
Fox Valley Freeway and FAP 420 are dead and have not been seriously under consideration since the mid-90's. Only one that might be built is IL-53, and I am starting to doubt that will ever happen either.
Once IL-53/IL-120 get's done then there will be a big push to something with fox lake / Richmond

Also what is plan B??? US-12 3 lanes each way lake cook to IL-120?.

dirtroad66

tribar

Yeah, I doubt any of these will actually be built. It's unfortunate that low/medium importance projects like Longmeadow Parkway and even the Elgin O'Hare Tollway are being built yet projects like 53 and the Crosstown look dead in the water.

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 24, 2017, 09:38:05 PM
Quote from: I-39 on April 24, 2017, 06:01:35 PM
Once IL-53/IL-120 get's done then there will be a big push to something with fox lake / Richmond

Also what is plan B??? US-12 3 lanes each way lake cook to IL-120?.

While IDOT owns a lot of the FAP 420 ROW, they don't own all of it, and the areas they don't own now have significant development in them. Even if they owned all of it, the ROW runs through sensitive environmental areas and they will never get a permit to build a highway through there. This has been the consensus ad nasum since the mid-90's.

quickshade

With the way 12 has built up it doesn't matter if you make it 8 lanes the amount of traffic lights and city population make it impossible to fix. Route 53/120 will need to happen in the next 10-15 years, I think Illinois knows this, Lake county knows this and the tollway knows this. The question is who cracks first and tells these people rejecting it that they no longer have a choice and they can either accept that it's going to be built or fight their way into a losing battle.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on April 25, 2017, 09:47:32 PM
With the way 12 has built up it doesn't matter if you make it 8 lanes the amount of traffic lights and city population make it impossible to fix. Route 53/120 will need to happen in the next 10-15 years, I think Illinois knows this, Lake county knows this and the tollway knows this. The question is who cracks first and tells these people rejecting it that they no longer have a choice and they can either accept that it's going to be built or fight their way into a losing battle.
just drop that 45 MPH idea.  Now just the IL-53 + IL-120 helps lake and just dumps a lot on mchenry county.

paulthemapguy

Illinois is defunct, doesn't work, and won't build any new roads for the rest of time, unless they're funded and owned by the ISTHA
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.