News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Matthew hits the Maritimes and Newfoundland

Started by ghYHZ, October 12, 2016, 05:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

The remnants of "Matthew"  stormed into the Maritimes and Newfoundland on Monday causing extensive damage to infrastructure......and a particularly bad day too as it was the Thanksgiving Holiday with heavy traffic.

The Trans Canada Highway was severed in Terra Nova National Park halting east-west traffic across  Newfoundland, There is no alternate route to cross the province. Some vehicles did use portions of the abandoned railway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/states-of-emergencies-rainstorm-aftermath-1.3799472

And between mainland Nova Scotia and Cape Breton.....oneway traffic was being escourted  across the Canso Causeway by a  plow to clear boulders washed up onto the highway roadbed,.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/power-outages-affecting-about-50-000-in-nova-scotia-1.3799440

The Confederation to Prince Edward Island also had high sided vehicle restrictions.

SignGeek101

Heard there were quite a few roads washed out and flooding. Not as bad as it got in the States, but still a mess for people out there. Hopefully everything is back up and running within a reasonable time frame.

leroys73

Wow!  I sure didn't expect them to get hit that hard.

I live in Texas.  However, I was up there 2 months ago (read Newfoundland Trip Rescheduled/misadventure, Oct 6, 2016 post).  I met so many great people.  I ended up spending a few days in the Sydney Regional Hospital with a broken leg, great care.  Then a few more days in a hotel for more recovery before heading home, thus, meeting some more great people. 

After such close interaction with the citizens of the area I feel as though it is my family suffering. I pray for all.  Also, hope all the bridges and roads are repaired quickly.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.