News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-44 Belle Isle Bridge

Started by rte66man, June 06, 2015, 10:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

In April, ODOT had to close ramps to and from the I-44 Belle Isle Bridge in Oklahoma City:
http://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=15758

The relevant part for my upcoming rant is this:
"The upcoming long-term project will reconstruct the piers with the worst deterioration. The estimated time to complete this project will be determined once ODOT has a contract prepared for bid. The eastbound I-44 on-ramp from eastbound Northwest Expressway and the westbound I-44 off-ramp to Northwest Expressway will remain closed for the duration of this next project since some of the piers supporting the ramps are among those in need of extensive repairs." (emphasis added)

In every other place I've been, when an entrance or exit ramp to an interstate is closed for more than a couple of days, the contractor either covers up the relevant BGS's or places an orange "CLOSED" sign diagonally across each BGS affected. But NOOOOOO......... not here.  For the past 6 weeks, I've driven westbound on 44 on my way home from work.  Not only does trarffic slow down for last-minute "merging" traffic (people never read the signs), but many cars are slowing down to take the now-closed Northwest Expressway exit.  How would they know it's closed?  A VERY small orange "Ramp Closed" sign that is easily missed.

I sent this email to ODOT on 5/29. 

"Since the fix for the Belle Isle bridge on I-44 in OKC will take a few more weeks, please cover the BGS's on the westbound lanes to indicate that the Northwest Expy ramp is closed.  I pass by every day and it is rare to not see someone from out of state try to exit there.  Same goes for the BGS's on eastbound NW Expy that show "I-44 Tulsa".  At the very least, do what other states do and place a large orange "CLOSED" sign at a diagonal across each affected sign."

A week later, I got this response:
"Thanks for contacting us. I will share your concern and suggestion about the signs with the project manager. Please let me know if I can be of more help, have a great day!"
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Quote from: rte66man on June 06, 2015, 10:25:27 AM
In every other place I've been, when an entrance or exit ramp to an interstate is closed for more than a couple of days, the contractor either covers up the relevant BGS's or places an orange "CLOSED" sign diagonally across each BGS affected. But NOOOOOO......... not here. 

You should send ODOT some pictures if you can find some. Down in Norman, the Lindsey Street exit is closed and they have what sounds like the same pathetic "CLOSED" sign stuck over the text "Next Right" on the sign.

I've seen instances in Kansas where KDOT has flat-out pulled all of the inapplicable lettering off signs that are closed for long-term construction. But that's probably a bit of overkill.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

noelbotevera

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2015, 03:43:44 AM
Quote from: rte66man on June 06, 2015, 10:25:27 AM
In every other place I've been, when an entrance or exit ramp to an interstate is closed for more than a couple of days, the contractor either covers up the relevant BGS's or places an orange "CLOSED" sign diagonally across each BGS affected. But NOOOOOO......... not here. 

I've seen instances in Kansas where KDOT has flat-out pulled all of the inapplicable lettering off signs that are closed for long-term construction. But that's probably a bit of overkill.
Overkill would be to take down the entire sign about the exit that's closed, and take down signs that show the closed exit, and install them after the project is finished.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Scott5114

Because it is small and easily missed. The text can't be much more than 12".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Well, someone must have noticed my email.  As I was headed home this evening, I saw that a portable VMS had been set up about 1/2 mile before the Classen exit.  Too bad there was merging traffic at that point AND the sun was directly in my face.  I wonder how anyone could have read it.  Turns out it says "NW Expy exit closed, take Classen exit".  I guess that is their response.  <sigh>
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.