Group raises funds to study feasibility of Tulsa toll bridge

Started by bugo, January 08, 2010, 11:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

shoptb1

Very interesting...i didn't know there were plans to create this semi-loop starting with SR11

Chris

Interesting indeed. Tulsa already has a quite large freeway network for a city of its size.

But then again, there is one bridge across the Arkansas River near downtown (I-244), but the next one is quite far west (for urban standards), near Sand Springs.

J N Winkler

I think the goal of this study is not so much to build another bridge across the Arkansas River as it is to keep the Gilcrease Expressway on track.  At the moment, the recently-built portion of it that is not part of Oklahoma SR 11 ends at a stop sign at the L.L. Tisdale Parkway, which also ends as a full freeway at that point.  The Gilcrease Expressway needs a continuation to US 64-412 (Sand Springs Expressway) at least in order to function as a bypass for the northern flank of I-244.

BTW, Tulsa is unusual in having so many freeways which are not numbered state highways.  In addition to the Gilcrease Expressway and the L.L. Tisdale Parkway, there is also the Creek Turnpike.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

njroadhorse

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2010, 10:21:40 AM
I think the goal of this study is not so much to build another bridge across the Arkansas River as it is to keep the Gilcrease Expressway on track.  At the moment, the recently-built portion of it that is not part of Oklahoma SR 11 ends at a stop sign at the L.L. Tisdale Parkway, which also ends as a full freeway at that point.  The Gilcrease Expressway needs a continuation to US 64-412 (Sand Springs Expressway) at least in order to function as a bypass for the northern flank of I-244.

Well, if it needs that to function as a bypass, why not just go all out and extend it to 44?  After 64/412, it's really just a straight shot paralleling OK 97 without too much in your way, or so it appears.  Isn't OK 97 mostly four lanes anyway?  Just grade separate it, and then diverge from the alignment where you need to.  There you go, fully built Gilcrease Expressway.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

bugo

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2010, 10:21:40 AM

A double speed video of both the Tisdale and the northern/eastern segment of the Gilcrease.  Note the left turn onto the Gilcrease from the Tisdale and the short undivided section of the Gilcrease, which is temporary.
BTW, Tulsa is unusual in having so many freeways which are not numbered state highways.  In addition to the Gilcrease Expressway and the L.L. Tisdale Parkway, there is also the Creek Turnpike.

The Muskogee Turnpike is unnumbered and also enters the Tulsa metro if not Tulsa itself.  The other toll roads that service the metro are numbered.

I read somewhere that the Creek Turnpike was supposed to get an Interstate designation.  What is the status on that?

And will the Gilcrease and Tisdale ever get numbers?  If I were in charge, the entire Gilcrease would be I-844 (or OK 844 if part of it is built as a super 2) and I would reroute OK 11 to follow the Tisdale instead of the Gilcrease and end at I-244/US 64/OK 51/US 64.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.