Remaining narrow grassy medians on Oklahoma Turnpikes

Started by bugo, February 18, 2010, 04:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The part of the Muskogee south/east of Muskogee has the narrow dangerous grassy median, and the last time I was through there the Cimmaron east of US 177 had the grassy median.  What other Okie turnpikes retain this relic?

Scott5114

Got pictures? All of the I-44 turnpikes have concrete barrier medians.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I was under the impression that all of the pre-1980 turnpikes still had the grassy median.  Certainly the full length of the Cimarron Turnpike still had it when I did a day trip to Tulsa (out of Wichita) in early January.  The H.E. Bailey Turnpike still had the grassy median when I drove its entire length in December 2002.  I don't know how far OTA has gotten in terms of cable barrier retrofits, but I don't remember any on the Cimarron Turnpike.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

okroads

The southern section of the H.E. Bailey (I-44 between U.S. 70 & OK 36) still has this narrow grassy median.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2010, 07:21:40 AM
Got pictures? All of the I-44 turnpikes have concrete barrier medians.

My video of Interstate 44 between OKC and Tulsa shows construction to replace some of the then-grassy medians.

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.