News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

One road, several names

Started by Bryant5493, November 11, 2009, 10:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryant5493

I'm sure there are some in your neighborhood, region, state, etc. List them, or post videos and/or photos, if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwtAp61tREI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfa0j8rQyOQ

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chris

Dutch roads tend to change names every few hundred meters, which is really annoying. Some major roads in my city have 5 names over 3 miles, and no number. That has grown historically that way...

Alex

Florida 296 changes names several times while following the same path, from west to east it follows Michigan Avenue, Beverly Parkway, Brent Lane, and Bayou Boulevard.

Many roads in Miami have multiple names as well, including two or more names on the same stretch of road...

Brandon

One road, several names.  Very common around Chicagoland, especially in the southwest 'burbs.  Some of them even carry two different names at the same time!

Just a few examples:

Larkin Ave->Weber Rd->Naper Blvd->Naperville Rd from Rockdale to Wheaton.  Carries IL-7 along Larkin Ave.
Renwick Rd (aka 159th St)->9th St->159th St->162nd St->159th St->River Oaks Dr->165th St from Plainfield to Hammond, IN.  Carries both IL-7 and US-6.
96th Ave (aka LaGrange Rd)->LaGrange Rd->Mannhein Rd from Frankfort to Des Plaines.  Carries US-12, 20, & 45.

And that's just for starters.  Why are there so many names you ask?  Because different municipalities have different names for the road, and in the case of Larkin-Weber-Naper, it is several different roads put together and joined as one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

74/171FAN

VA 156 Business in Prince George County and Hopewell changes from Prince George Dr to Arlington Rd(at the Prince George-Hopewell line) then to High Ave where Arlington Rd splits before VA 156 Business turns right at VA 36/Winston Churchill Dr(and multiplexes with it) and then meets Arlington Rd again at the next intersection.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Man, that's common practice here in Middle Tennessee.

One road I take part of to work goes like this: Harding Place -> Battery Lane -> Harding Place -> Donelson Pike

Then there's: Briley Pkwy. -> Whitebridge Rd -> Woodmont Blvd. -> Thompson Lane -> Briley Pkwy

On the south side, Old Hickory Blvd. -> Bell Rd. -> Pleasant Hill Rd. -> Stewart's Ferry Pk.

That's just scratching the surface.  Now as for the ones that just change name's ONCE, there's more than I can recall.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

PA 8 goes from Washington Blvd to William Flynn HIghway to Butler STreet in Pittsburgh.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

jdb1234

Same in Metro Birmingham:

24th Street S -> 26th St. S -> Niazuma Ave -> Pawnee Ave -> Country Club Road. -> Montclair Road.

US 78 goes: Princeton Parkway -> Arkadelphia Rd -> Bankhead Highway -> Forestdale Blvd on the west side of town.

vdeane

Very common in Rochester too.  We have Atlantic Ave > Browncroft Blvd > Atlantic Ave, Westfall Rd > Allen's Creek Road, Clifford Ave > Empire Blvd, and Durand Blvd > Sweet Fern Rd > Pine Valley Rd* > Lake Shore Rd, just to name a few.

*Actually, this is an intersection where traffic makes a right turn onto Pine Valley Rd, but the road is striped to favor the turn as the main direction of travel.  Zoo Rd also turns into Pine Valley Rd (the same one; it's a one-way before the intersection).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

This sort of thing seems to happen a lot where formerly unrelated roads are strung together by new construction. For instance, my city (Stamford, CT) is nearing completion of Phase I of a project to run a 4-6 lane boulevard from the train station to US 1 on the east side, using mostly existing city ROW (albeit widened). The result is that now, the same continuous street is "Station Place", "Dock Street", "Jefferson Street", and "Myrtle Avenue" within less than a mile and a half. This was considered preferable to having to reassign a new address to every building along the corridor, which would have been necessary to give it all one name.

I get that, although it is a departure from precedent. The massive downtown urban renewal project from the 70's strung "South Street", "River Street", "Washington Avenue", and "North Forest Lawn Avenue" together, along with some new ROW, all under one new name: "Washington Boulevard" (much of which is actually now state highway, CT 137/unsigned CT 493).

A far more common and far more obvious reason for a name shift, however, is the crossing of a town/city line. Each municipality just named their part differently. A drive up US 1 from Port Chester, NY to Norwak, CT will, without making any turns, take you up North Main Street (Port Chester), West/East Putnam Avenue (Greenwich), West Main Street/Tresser Boulevard/East Main Street (Stamford; prior to ca. 1970 US 1 followed Main Street through downtown), Boston Post Road (Darien), and Connecticut Avenue/Van Buren Avenue (Norwalk; construction of the US 7 freeway brought about that last shift).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

xcellntbuy

There is a group of street names for a 4-lane "square" of roads around the overpass/intersection of US 441/State Road 7 with FL 834 (West Sample Road) on the Coral Springs/Coconut Creek/Margate, FL city line.

Beginning in the northwest quadrant we have Turtle Creek Drive.

Proceeding southbound from US 441 to West Sample Road, the southwest quadrant begins and we have NW 62 Avenue which makes a 90-degree turn eastward back toward US 441/State Road 7.

But, the road name changes around that curve from NW 62 Avenue to Coral Bay Drive/NW 31 Street.  (It used to be Coral Bay Blvd.)

Continuing into the southeast quadrant the name of Coral Bay Drive/NW 31 Street miraculously becomes just Perimeter Road.

Proceeding into the northeast quadrant from West Sample Road, the name of this road changes to NW 54 Avenue/Wochna Blvd.

Continuing on and proceeding northward on NW 54 Avenue/Wochna Blvd., you will find a working traffic signal with no intersection and then a hard left to the west in the remaining Seminole tomato fields which becomes Turtle Creek Drive.

Seven names in about 2-1/2 miles.

wytout

Route 190 through rural Stafford, CT enters from the western end of town (Somers, CT town line) as Chesnut Hill Road, after the intersection of Route 30 it becomes West Stafford Road.  Next it intersects and becomes concurrent with Route 32 and becomes West Main Street. Then at the intersection of Route 140 it becomes Main St.  Continuing east, where it intersects/ends concurrency with Route 32 it becomes East Main Street.  At an Arbitrary point east of that, well before leaving Stafford it becomes Buckley Highway and it continues out of town into Union as the same name where Route 190 eventually terminates at CT 171 (and as an aside, CT 171 is L-shaped and eastbound is just an uninterrupted continuation of roadway where 190 ends and 171 begins, no stop sign no nothing, and the Road name Buckley Highway is retained through this intersection and onward). 

So, CT 190 in Stafford, CT has 6 different road names.
-Chris

myosh_tino

I've got one near where I live.  It's got 7 names, is almost 25 miles in length and it almost makes a 360-degree loop.  It beings in Saratoga, CA and heads north through Saratoga, San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale.  It then makes a 180 and heads south through Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose and ends at CA-9/Saratoga-Los Gatos Road near Monte Sereno.  Along it's journey, the names for this road are...

Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road (2.3 mi) --  From CA-9 in Saratoga north to Prospect Road in San Jose
De Anza Boulevard (3.1 mi) -- From Prospect Road north to Homestead Road in Cupertino
Sunnyvale-Saratoga Road (1.8 mi) -- From Homestead Road north to Sunnyvale Avenue in Sunnyvale
Mathilda Avenue (3.8 mi) -- From Sunnyvale Avenue north to Java Drive in Sunnyvale
Caribbean Drive (1.8 mi) -- From Java Drive north, east and south to CA-237 in Sunnyvale (This is where the road makes a 180)
Lawrence Expressway (8.4 mi) -- From CA-237 south to Saratoga Avenue in San Jose
Quito Road (3.6 mi) -- From Saratoga Avenue south to CA-9/Saratoga-Los Gatos Road near Monte Sereno.

* The Lawrence Expwy segment is also marked as County Route G-2.
* De Anza Blvd/Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road was first known as CA-9 and later as CA-85.  CA-9 was re-routed to Los Gatos along Saratoga-Los Gatos Road.  CA-85 was moved to the West Valley Freeway when it opened in the early 1990's.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

wandering drive

This is common in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and not just between cities.
Many non-freeway roads that go over the Mississippi change their names, in particular, 37th Ave NE becomes 42nd Ave N on the west side of the river.  Nothing too dramatic, though.

flowmotion

Supposedly, some suburban towns have done this intentionally to make the area less navigable to outsiders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.