New Chicago-Kansas City initiative?

Started by N9JIG, August 15, 2010, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmsandw

Came home from Mid-Missouri last nite via 72/36.  Wishing now I would have stopped and got a picture of this, but since the IL 110 shields started going up alomst a year ago none had a direction banner.  For the most part this isn't an issue.  Except on WB I-72/U.S. 36 at the I-172/IL 110 interchange as the road splits for the left lanes to go to Quincy via I-172/IL 110 and the right lanes to goto Missouri via I-72/U.S. 36/IL 110 signs are now posted on the overhead sign posts "CKC/IL 110/up arrow". 

Which is true, both ramps take you to IL 110 (left is north/east IL 110; right is south/west IL 110).
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

kharvey10

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 25, 2011, 07:30:18 AM
This is also the same agency that "bowed" to Mayor Daley Sr when the Ike was being built through the near west suburbs.  As legend has it, Daley said, "He was going to make it a bitch for them to get back into the city." thus creating the Hillside Strangler on the Ike.  This was when a lot of corporations were moving their headquarters out to places like Schaumburg, such as Motorla, Ameritech and eventually Sears.  IDOT will crumble to power all the time.

IDiOT has crumbled to power in the Metro-East area all the time.  Exit 2 on IL 255 was an overpass originally designed to cross a ditch, IDiOT added the interchange to keep trucks off the 270/111 interchange due to a major trucking distribution center.  Well that interchange is rarely used from what I know of, I hardly ever see traffic on it when I drive in that area.

Another example was when one of the approach spans of a Kaskaskia River bridge needed to be replace.  IDiOT was going to shut the bridge down to replace it, but this power company was building a power plant about 15 miles away in a neighboring county and used that bridge a lot.  That company ponied up about $500k to 1M of their own money.  Well, the bridge remained open during that replacement and IDiOT built a temporary bypass in someone farm field for traffic.

Development in Fairview Heights area finally caused IDiOT to widen 64 to O'Fallon back in 2004.  Up to that point, there was always a chokepoint between 255 to 159, first due to the hill where traffic went down to 2 lanes in each direction, and the second due to traffic trying to exit on 159.  The exit for 159 was originally a diamond the loop ramp was added in the late 90s.  The rumor mill now is that the businesses trying to sweet talk IDiOT of adding another loop ramp to that interchange.

And the locals are known to tell IDiOT off too.  Some of the best known examples include Highway 50 in St. Clair County, and they literally told them to f off on any intention of renumbering of a section of 270 near Glen Carbon back in the late 70s.  Its not just the politicians and corporations that IDiOT has to put up with, its the entire taxpayer base.  I lost track of so many examples of locals giving IDiOT some major heat.

ShawnP

I think I-64 was widened from 04-06 as one of the worst accidents I ever saw was in the lane next to me on a morning drive thru the construction area in March of 06. Well it was a drive from KC to Pensacola and back.

The 110 Directional signs are up at the I-74/34 junction and another sign is up just past the interchange. Only downtown Macomb is left.
There was a debate on another thread about letting roads that are high type but not of interstate design carry the interstate designation. I suggested that the IL 110 and iowa 27 for the Avenue of the Saints would be a good option instead.
I suggested that there be minimum design standards  for rural areas that include four lane divided ,4 lane undivided or 3 lane depending on traffic volumes

Alex

Quote from: 3467 on May 30, 2011, 05:39:20 PM
The 110 Directional signs are up at the I-74/34 junction and another sign is up just past the interchange. Only downtown Macomb is left.
There was a debate on another thread about letting roads that are high type but not of interstate design carry the interstate designation. I suggested that the IL 110 and iowa 27 for the Avenue of the Saints would be a good option instead.
I suggested that there be minimum design standards  for rural areas that include four lane divided ,4 lane undivided or 3 lane depending on traffic volumes

Saw consistent trailblazers for IL-110 from US 34 northward on I-74 to the I-80/88 junction. You have to go beyond Exit 2 on I-88 east to see a IL-110 shield though.

They replaced the overheads attached to the US 34 overpasses over I-74 with new Clearview-based panels. Signs must have been designed before IL-110 was approved, as the panel from I-74 west to US 34/IL 110 west omit the CKC designation.

hbelkins

Within the next week I should have my photos up of my trip through the area recently, which includes the IL 110 signs on I-72 and I-172.

These are now up on my Flickr page, accessible via http://www.millenniumhwy.net/roadtrips.html

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

Last week when i was coming home from my storm chase trip taking I-35 from KC, there where a couple of "CKC" signs in place on the reassurance I-35 markers and only 1 at the US 36 interchange.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

34/74 clearview signs were up before 110

Revive 755

hbelkins

So there's going to be a bi-state numbered route that, for its entirety, is co-signed with other routes? That's about idiotic.  :banghead:

If that's going to be done, it would make more sense to sign it a US route rather than as IL 110 and MO 110. And kill the route numbers that, in their entirety, would be dual signed with 110. (I'm looking at you, I-172.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 19, 2011, 06:09:49 PM
Last week when i was coming home from my storm chase trip taking I-35 from KC, there where a couple of "CKC" signs in place on the reassurance I-35 markers and only 1 at the US 36 interchange.

I've seen these the last few times we drove to/from Minnesota.  I assumed CKC meant Cameron - Kansas CIty, because that's the only stretch where I've seen them, and because that's the most heavily trafficked portion between K.C. and Des Moines.  Man, it could really stand to be six lanes for at least part of that.....and I-35/80 through the north side of Des Moines could stand to be about 44 lanes.....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2012, 11:52:34 AM
So there's going to be a bi-state numbered route that, for its entirety, is co-signed with other routes? That's about idiotic.  :banghead:

If that's going to be done, it would make more sense to sign it a US route rather than as IL 110 and MO 110. And kill the route numbers that, in their entirety, would be dual signed with 110. (I'm looking at you, I-172.)

I doubt Quincy would let I-172 disappear quietly.

Thinking about the addition of MO 110 for the CKC route, I'm surprised MoDOT is actually going along with adding the number, given that the Avenue of the Saints route (MO 27) didn't get co-signed all the way down to St. Louis with US 61 and US 40.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2012, 11:52:34 AM

They're not going to decommission an interstate for that reason.  It just isn't happening.

The same guy that fought for the 110 designation pushed for the Interstate designation.That would be Tom Oakley who owns the newspaper,radio station and TV station. It may be a small market but he is a road enthusiast and makes his endorsements based on roads.
So Bugo is right It aint happening

Revive 755

bugo

Does anyone know where the west end of MO 110 will be?  I-70?  I-29?  I-670?  I-435?  The Kansas border?

Stratuscaster

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 16, 2012, 09:18:02 PM
Article in the Chillicothe (MO) paper has a photo with a new US 36/MO 110 assembly:
http://www.chillicothenews.com/news/x876171298/New-signage-promotes-corridor
Article is wrong, it would seem.

The expressway connecting Chicago to Kansas City is being named Route 110, and the path is 532 miles long. The route is all four-lane and consists of portions of Interstate 35 (from Kansas City to Cameron), U.S. 36 (from Cameron to Hannibal), Interstate 72/U.S. 36 (from Hannibal to Springfield, Ill.), and Interstate 55 (from Springfield, Ill., to Chicago).
IL-110 doesn't go to Springfield, and doesn't run with I-55 either.

It was specifically designed to avoid both 55 and 80. I will try to get the mialgae comparisons for different routes sometime
I recall last week there was another incident that caused massive delays on 80 around IL 47. It was really designed for cars to avoid big trucks but I swear I am seeing a higher volume of trucks since it was completed as 4 lane and desginated 110

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on April 17, 2012, 10:29:15 PM
It was specifically designed to avoid both 55 and 80. I will try to get the mialgae comparisons for different routes sometime
I recall last week there was another incident that caused massive delays on 80 around IL 47. It was really designed for cars to avoid big trucks but I swear I am seeing a higher volume of trucks since it was completed as 4 lane and desginated 110

The big trucks will use anything that potentially saves them time (and therefore money).  By using IL-110, they can avoid the massive amount of trucks at the I-55/80 interchange due to the two massive intermodal yards nearby.  We'll go near these on Saturday, on the tour.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

The High Plains Traveler

Some thoughts on the CKC designation. In general, I'm opposed to concurrent routes that don't separate after a reasonable interval toward different designations. And thus I'm certainly opposed to routes that only exist as concurrencies. On our recent trip to Illinois, though, I found on my return that following the CKC provided a good routing to the west from Rockford that allowed me to avoid I-80 or I-70. Yes, I understand I could have (and did) derived the route without a continuous marking, it helped with navigation. I think it does provide a useful alternate route between its designated terminal cities that is worthy of marking, given the traffic issues with I-55 and 70. U.S. 36 is a great route across Missouri as long as you're willing to accept the slightly lower speed limit. After battling the sea of trucks on I-80 across Nebraska and Iowa going out, this was a welcome change.

And while I have heard complaints about the clunky way MoDOT has signed the route at highway entrances by grafting the route markers to the side of the signs, at least they are marked. IDOT only posts directional changes of the route on standalone signs just prior to highway exits. Also, in the segment where we were following EB I-74 (but actually going south), the reassurance markes for IL-110 lacked a WB directional banner. Missouri included directional banners with all its posted signs.  Not limited to the CKC topic, another problem Illinois has is that on continuous expressway segments that gain a concurrent route following which the original route exits - like where WB U.S. 34 picks up U.S. 67 and then exits from the expressway that bypasses Monmouth, only the exiting route is shown. The straight-ahead route and its destination are not.

My own preference would have been to avoid an actual random route number and instead to have included the CKC logo on the state route markers where the number would otherwise go. On maps, it would be shown as state route CKC much like the Old San Antonio Road (OSR) marking in Texas.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

bugo

If I were going from KC to Hannibal, I would take I-70 to US 54 to MO 19 to US 61.

The MO 110 idea is ridiculous.  It would have been better had this route been a US route.

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 16, 2012, 11:16:42 PM
Does anyone know where the west end of MO 110 will be?  I-70?  I-29?  I-670?  I-435?  The Kansas border?

Bryant St along I-35, just southwest of I-435.

Also: where 110/CKC is posted along I-35, I-35 is not

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: bugo on June 25, 2012, 08:31:39 PM
If I were going from KC to Hannibal, I would take I-70 to US 54 to MO 19 to US 61.

The MO 110 idea is ridiculous.  It would have been better had this route been a US route.
You're closer to that area than I am, but from what I hear about I-70 from KC to STL (which I admittedly have not been on), it's a truck-clogged mess. Having driven over 400 miles on I-80 on the same trip, I was anxious to avoid that kind of road. Next trip to Minnesota, my first stop on this trip, I will try to avoid I-80 as much as I can because of the heavy truck traffic.

I would only support a U.S. route if it is mainly routed over roads on which it is the sole designation. But, as described above, I kind of like the named multi-route designation as long as this concept is not overdone. I wish the signage had been better.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hobsini2

I have taken both 36-35 and 55-70 between Springfield IL and Kansas City. I find that it is quicker to get across MO on 36 than 70 even though parts of 36 are still being widened. Too much traffic on 70. However I still find the best way to get between Chicago and KC is 88W-80W-35S thru Des Moines.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I was asked by a motorcyclist in Macomb the other day if he was heading in the right direction for Hannibal. I told him to just follow the 110 .
I think people are trying out the route.
There would be a couple of shorter routes in Illinois (34 11 miles and 336 if ever built through Peoria 7 miles) but those all use 80. The purpose is to avoid 80,70 and 55. I am not one to try a motorcycle trip but I would really not want to be one on those 3 routes

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.