News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

April Fools Tuxedo Meet

Started by Alps, September 24, 2015, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Gentleladies and gentlemen,

It is my esteemed privilege to announce the forthcoming April 2 Tuxedo Road Meet, in honor of the perennial April Fools Day commemoration. This is no joke - there will, in fact, be a road meet in Tuxedo, NY, and it will, in fact, feature attendees wearing tuxedos.

Yes, tuxedos are required. If you don't have one, do your best impression (black suit and bowtie, suit and tie, worst case and you're female and lack a suitable suit (see what I did there?), some other sort of formalwear).

You may view the proposed itinerary at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/tuxedo.pdf. I welcome anyone who may provide us a more advantageous position for viewing construction of the New NY Bridge.

I will collect RSVPs presently. This is your Save the Date.

dgolub

For the part in Suffern, it sounds like you're telling people to follow US 202 when the two split, but from looking at a map I'm assuming you want people to follow NY 59.  Also, when you say to get back on NJ 17 and take it to the US 202 exit, you say to go north but I think you probably meant to say south.

Pete from Boston

Please be kind when poking around up Stag Hill Rd.  These people endure no end of curiosity seekers who want to know if whatever absurd rumors they've heard are true, and therefore you may get the stink-eye for "sightseeing" up there.  They've been pretty well shit on for years. 

vdeane

I don't see a reason why I wouldn't be there at this point.  Looks like it's time to go shopping for a fancy dress.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Since when are the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus advertising their meetings on here?

Just kidding, as for those of you who do not know about the K of C, their Senior Club known as the Fourth Degree has tuxedo meets as the tux is their official wardrobe.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Fine.  But the next meeting can be held at Gunnison Beach, Sandy Hook, NJ.   :biggrin:

roadman65

Oh yes, the way the Knights of Columbus are with alternative lifestyles.  Yes they would love that a lot as not only is the nude/ clothing optional thing considered an alternate lifestyle as far as conservative christian organizations are concerned, but the fact that most people at Gunnison now are either swingers couples or of same sex relationships on the male side.  True they are well behaved and all, but you know how  some homophobic people are in which some think nudity and sex are the same.

I can see some of the older Fourth Degree clutching their hearts if they went to that beach.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2015, 02:05:15 PM
Oh yes, the way the Knights of Columbus are with alternative lifestyles.  Yes they would love that a lot as not only is the nude/ clothing optional thing considered an alternate lifestyle as far as conservative christian organizations are concerned, but the fact that most people at Gunnison now are either swingers couples or of same sex relationships on the male side.  True they are well behaved and all, but you know how  some homophobic people are in which some think nudity and sex are the same.

I can see some of the older Fourth Degree clutching their hearts if they went to that beach.

SCA Pennsic War: Classic Swimming Hole ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on September 25, 2015, 08:51:59 AM
For the part in Suffern, it sounds like you're telling people to follow US 202 when the two split, but from looking at a map I'm assuming you want people to follow NY 59.  Also, when you say to get back on NJ 17 and take it to the US 202 exit, you say to go north but I think you probably meant to say south.
1) I'm telling people to turn right at the T, which will keep them on 59.
2) Yup, south. I'll fix it.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2015, 05:03:45 PM
1) I'm telling people to turn right at the T, which will keep them on 59.

Actually, it puts them on a NY 59/US 202 multiplex that ends after one block.  You might want to tell them to bear left at the traffic light to stay on NY 59 rather than US 202.

noelbotevera

Here's my 2 cents of suggestions:

Signage projects along the Taconic
NJ/NY/PA tripoint (if any of us haven't been there yet)
Old US 9W alignment (forgot where - I believe north of the Palisades in New Jersey)

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 25, 2015, 07:57:44 PM
Here's my 2 cents of suggestions:

Signage projects along the Taconic
NJ/NY/PA tripoint (if any of us haven't been there yet)
Old US 9W alignment (forgot where - I believe north of the Palisades in New Jersey)

Not heading east, so Taconic is out. Tripoint has been on at least two past meets, so I don't see a need - people can visit on their own if desired. Old 9W would be a good add-on in warmer weather, but I have limited daylight as well.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 25, 2015, 07:57:44 PM

It's in and around State Line Lookout in Alpine, New Jersey.

dgolub

If we're on the topic of extra stuff to add, it looks like there's a switchback on NY 17A just west of where we'll be turning east onto it.

Pete from Boston

There is a terrific view of the whole Ramapo Pass and the 87/287/17 interchange that now sits in its midst from the mountaintop Mt. Fuji Steakhouse parking lot in Hillburn.  There should be few enough leaves on April 2 to allow a decent view.

signalman

Quote from: dgolub on September 26, 2015, 10:33:21 AM
If we're on the topic of extra stuff to add, it looks like there's a switchback on NY 17A just west of where we'll be turning east onto it.
Yes there is.  You climb a hill, with a switchback, then climb some more.  At the top, named Mount Peter, the Appalachian Trail crosses 17A.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 26, 2015, 11:27:09 AM
There is a terrific view of the whole Ramapo Pass and the 87/287/17 interchange that now sits in its midst from the mountaintop Mt. Fuji Steakhouse parking lot in Hillburn.  There should be few enough leaves on April 2 to allow a decent view.
Nice. I'll add it.
Quote from: dgolub on September 26, 2015, 10:33:21 AM
Been there. Not much of a switchback, just a gentle sloping curve. Nothing really of note. (NJ 5, now that's a switchback.)

noelbotevera

froggie

Quote from: noelboteveraUS 9 - weird freeway here:

Not weird when taken in the context of what it was intended to be...

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2015, 04:58:46 PM

And much less weird than prior to reconstruction through Peekskill.

iPhone

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2015, 03:16:53 PM
Been there. Not much of a switchback, just a gentle sloping curve. Nothing really of note. (NJ 5, now that's a switchback.)

Yeah, NJ 5 rocks!  I did it back in the spring.

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2015, 04:58:46 PM

Also, while this doesn't show up too well on Google Maps due to them coloring both yellow, the major through route for traffic at the south end of that freeway is not to stay on US 9, but rather to take NY 9A. This segment of 9A, officially known as the Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway, is built to standards typical of older NY Parkways. It has a couple lights, a few unsignalized intersections, some tight curves, narrow lanes, and a nasty hill, but it's a road where one can certainly move much faster than traveling through towns.

What's funky is that trucks are permitted to use it, unlike most NY parkways.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on September 26, 2015, 10:22:58 PM
Also, while this doesn't show up too well on Google Maps due to them coloring both yellow, the major through route for traffic at the south end of that freeway is not to stay on US 9, but rather to take NY 9A. This segment of 9A, officially known as the Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway, is built to standards typical of older NY Parkways. It has a couple lights, a few unsignalized intersections, some tight curves, narrow lanes, and a nasty hill, but it's a road where one can certainly move much faster than traveling through towns.

What's funky is that trucks are permitted to use it, unlike most NY parkways.

They can also use the Bear Mountain Parkway, but only during nighttime hours for trucks over 5 tons. Basically, it serves as a Peekskill bypass by continuing the route of US 9. If trucks were allowed full time, you'd likely see US 6 and 202 rerouted into it, with only NY 35 serving downtown.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Alps on September 24, 2015, 09:14:22 PM

It is my esteemed privilege to announce the forthcoming April 2 Tuxedo Road Meet, in honor of the perennial April Fools Day commemoration. This is no joke - there will, in fact, be a road meet in Tuxedo, NY, and it will, in fact, feature attendees wearing tuxedos.

Yes, tuxedos are required. If you don't have one, do your best impression (black suit and bowtie, suit and tie, worst case and you're female and lack a suitable suit (see what I did there?), some other sort of formalwear).

You may view the proposed itinerary at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/tuxedo.pdf. I welcome anyone who may provide us a more advantageous position for viewing construction of the New NY Bridge.

How does one skin a penguin? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: US71 on September 27, 2015, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 24, 2015, 09:14:22 PM

How does one skin a penguin? ;)
You have to get down off the duck first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.