News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest US city/metro area you have not been in

Started by hotdogPi, May 26, 2017, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Using recently-released 2016 estimates (you're welcome):

Largest US cities that I have not visited:
10) San Jose 1,025,350
20) El Paso 683,080
22) Boston 673,184

Largest MSAs that I have not visited:
18) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater 3,032,171
25) Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 2,424,955
27) Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade 2,296,418
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

doorknob60

Top MSAs not visited:
#3 Chicago
#4 Dallas
(#5 Houston if airport connections don't count)
#6 Washington
I could go on and on, I'll spare you :P (the next one down I have been to is #11 San Fran/Oakland)

Smallest MSAs I have visited:
#382 Carson City, NV (hey this is the smallest overall! I never knew this was its own MSA; far enough removed from Reno and a state capital so it makes sense I suppose)
#380 Lewiston, ID
#379 Walla Walla, WA (odd how geographically close this is to Lewiston, being next to each other on the list)
#371 Pocatello, ID
#368 Grants Pass, OR

Also worth nothing that some MSAs seem silly, such as the fact that the city of North Salt Lake, UT (which is like 7 miles from downtown SLC, and the city limits border each other), is not in the Salt Lake City MSA, but instead is in the Ogden MSA (much farther away). Yes there is a CSA encompassing all that, but CSAs are overly large sometimes, as the SLC CSA includes Provo (reasonable, though still somewhat far away) and the Portland CSA includes places like Corvallis (WTF?)!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 26, 2017, 04:20:32 PM
Top MSAs not visited:
#3 Chicago
#4 Dallas
(#5 Houston if airport connections don't count)
#6 Washington
I could go on and on, I'll spare you :P (the next one down I have been to is #11 San Fran/Oakland)

Smallest MSAs I have visited:
#382 Carson City, NV (hey this is the smallest overall! I never knew this was its own MSA; far enough removed from Reno and a state capital so it makes sense I suppose)
#380 Lewiston, ID
#379 Walla Walla, WA (odd how geographically close this is to Lewiston, being next to each other on the list)
#371 Pocatello, ID
#368 Grants Pass, OR

Also worth nothing that some MSAs seem silly, such as the fact that the city of North Salt Lake, UT (which is like 7 miles from downtown SLC, and the city limits border each other), is not in the Salt Lake City MSA, but instead is in the Ogden MSA (much farther away). Yes there is a CSA encompassing all that, but CSAs are overly large sometimes, as the SLC CSA includes Provo (reasonable, though still somewhat far away) and the Portland CSA includes places like Corvallis (WTF?)!

MSAs are comprised of counties.  Apparently, the county containing NSL (Davis) has more people commuting to the county containing Ogden (Weber) than to the county containing SLC (Salt Lake), even though the city of NSL itself likely has more people commuting to Salt Lake.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Brandon

NYC for me.  Been to LA, and live near Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jp the roadgeek

Of the top 10 metro areas I have not visited:

2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston

I consider 4 to be within driving distance (NY, Boston, Philly, DC), and I lived for 8 months in one (Philly).  The NYC combined statistical area borders my town.

Atlanta is the only of the top 10 that I've visited and not left the airport.  Miami and Atlanta are the only 2 I have visited and not driven in.

Smallest I passed through in a car is Ocean City, NJ (#363).  Smallest I've spent time and driven in is Gettysburg (#349)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

leroys73

NYC except to the airport awaiting a transfer.

Driven and/or ridden motorcycle in all others except Atlanta proper.  I sort of "skirted it".

Oh, sorry, Baltimore is another never been to yet.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

1995hoo

I've never been to California, so Los Angeles is an easy call here for me. Grew up visiting New York regularly, although I'm a little surprised to realize I haven't been there in almost seven years now.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

empirestate

Looks like it's Fresno for me, too; everything else I've at least touched or driven through (and I'm not 100% sure I haven't driven through Fresno, frankly).

But there are a few on the list I don't really feel I've visited: no real time spent in the city proper, nor even an overnight in the suburban area, that sort of thing. Largest of these is Houston, with Minneapolis/St. Paul, Indianapolis and Portland, OR also being notable. Even so, I've flown into PDX, spent a lunch hour at the Mall of America, and made several road trips through downtown Indy.

iPhone

Buffaboy

Houston and the rest of Texas

I went to LA when I was 7.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

roadgeek01

Probably NYC.  I always have wanted to go, but never had the time. 
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

sparker

I'd have to say that the only U.S. metro areas I have yet to visit or traverse are mostly in south Texas: the McAllen/Harlingen/Brownsville general area (I-2's on my bucket list to clinch); this would also include Laredo & environs and the Corpus Christi metro area.  One other to mention:  Bangor, ME.  Was going to visit there (along with Acadia N.P.) back in 1989, but car trouble stuck me in Portland (ME) for a couple of extra days, so I had to cut that leg of my trip short.  Again, bucket list.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

wanderer2575

I have never been in any part of New York City and have no desire to do so.

intelati49

Jeez. Out of the top ten, I'm missing NYNY, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Boston.

I really need to head east more often. (Have stayed in every state west of the Mississippi except for Oregon, Idaho, and Montana)

Sykotyk

Largest MSA I haven't been to: #54 Honolulu, HI

Of the 48 states, the largest I haven't been to is.... not on the list. So far, I haven't been to a few parts of northern Michigan, parts of South Dakota and North Dakota, some places in northeast Michigan, a few stray counties of Maine, Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard in MA, and a few stray independent towns in Virginia.

And out of all of them, can't find one that is an MSA I haven't been in. Which surprised me but I guess northern Minnesota is taken by Grand Forks, St. Cloud, and Duluth, and I've been across US2, so even Bemidji would be taken. Though International Falls is notable, it's hardly big enough to be an MSA unto itself.

empirestate

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 27, 2017, 05:08:47 PM

I'm always a little surprised to hear this from a roads enthusiast (especially one with "wanderer" in his name). ;-)

Is the city's infrastructure just not your scene roads-wise? Is it because the place has become so genericized recently?

And do others of you find that your interest in roads doesn't necessarily translate into an interest in travel?

Buffaboy

Quote from: empirestate on May 28, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 27, 2017, 05:08:47 PM

I'm always a little surprised to hear this from a roads enthusiast (especially one with "wanderer" in his name). ;-)

Is the city's infrastructure just not your scene roads-wise? Is it because the place has become so genericized recently?

And do others of you find that your interest in roads doesn't necessarily translate into an interest in travel?

I have a gas guzzling SUV and live with parents who would wonder why I would drive 6 hours to explore roads and sightsee, so it's not in the cards for me anytime soon.

At the same time, I've been to NYC, but AFAIK nowhere east of Manhattan, and nowhere in Manhattan but the cruise terminals and tunnels anyway.

Outside of that I've been up and down I-87 before Latham, but not above this.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

TheHighwayMan3561

I have never been to New York City, but of the top 10 the only other two I've never set foot in are Philadelphia and San Jose.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

plain

The farthest west I've ever been is San Antonio so I guess my answer would be Los Angeles
Newark born, Richmond bred

theline

Houston for me.

Although I can barely count my visit to NYC. My father wasn't a big fan of the Big Apple, so on our trip up the East Coast in the sixties Dad didn't stop the car at all while passing through from NJ to Connecticut. It was a foggy morning, so I didn't even get to see the skyline.    :-(

It's odd that I never got back there in all these years.

SSOWorld

Houston,

oh wait that's it.

for 11-100:
Charlotte,
Miami metro (3),
Tampa/St Pete (2),
Honolulu,
Corpus Christi,
Cincinnati,
Anchorage,
Fort Wayne,
Hialeah (FL)
Richmond (VA)
Boise
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

slorydn1

I've never been to Los Angeles or Houston so that's 2 of the top 4 right there.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.