News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on June 22, 2017, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
The VA 92 replacement bridge over the Staunton River shows up in the revised Virginia 6-year plan...
http://syip.virginiadot.org/Pages/lineitemDetails.aspx?syp_scenario_id=233&line_item_id=1498338
$12M with construction starting in 2022.

I believe that was old US-360 before the relocation was built between Clover and Wylliesburg.

That bridge is old and decrepit.  Doesn't carry much traffic.  Wonder if they are going to keep part of the old truss structure on display.

Yes...was US 360 until the late 1960s.

The traffic count the last year the old bridge was open (2006) was 440.  It was a whopping 490 in 2001.

IMO it borders on a waste of money to rebuild the bridge because it is shorter and faster to reach Clover via US 360 across the river.  However, the Clover Power Station probably has truck traffic that the town of Clover would rather not see as they have to while there is no VA 92 bridge, so that may justify the expenditure....

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2017, 09:56:26 PM
The VA 92 replacement bridge over the Staunton River shows up in the revised Virginia 6-year plan...
http://syip.virginiadot.org/Pages/lineitemDetails.aspx?syp_scenario_id=233&line_item_id=1498338
I believe that was old US-360 before the relocation was built between Clover and Wylliesburg.
That bridge is old and decrepit.  Doesn't carry much traffic.  Wonder if they are going to keep part of the old truss structure on display.

The traffic count the last year the old bridge was open (2006) was 440.  It was a whopping 490 in 2001.

IMO it borders on a waste of money to rebuild the bridge because it is shorter and faster to reach Clover via US 360 across the river.  However, the Clover Power Station probably has truck traffic that the town of Clover would rather not see as they have to while there is no VA 92 bridge, so that may justify the expenditure....

Looks to me like the rural population along parts of VA-92 would have a long detour if the bridge was closed.  Those volumes are more like a major secondary road.  That is probably why the bridge is being replaced... $12 million but almost any project is really expensive nowadays.

Is the bridge closed?  I thought I drove over it a couple years ago.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on June 22, 2017, 10:37:06 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2017, 09:56:26 PM

Looks to me like the rural population along parts of VA-92 would have a long detour if the bridge was closed.  Those volumes are more like a major secondary road.  That is probably why the bridge is being replaced... $12 million but almost any project is really expensive nowadays.

Closed in 2008 for safety reasons.  VA 92 detour posted on US 360 so long that there have been error SR 92 shields and correct shields replacing them...

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2017, 11:17:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 22, 2017, 10:37:06 PM
Closed in 2008 for safety reasons.  VA 92 detour posted on US 360 so long that there have been error SR 92 shields and correct shields replacing them...

Interesting ... closed for almost 10 years so the local population should be used to it.  The $12 million does seem like a lot to spend in that situation.  Wonder what the official justification is?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on June 22, 2017, 11:42:04 PM
Interesting ... closed for almost 10 years so the local population should be used to it.  The $12 million does seem like a lot to spend in that situation.  Wonder what the official justification is?

I do not know the geography there at all, but  could it be due to public safety reasons? 

In particular fire/rescue/EMS responders (perhaps law enforcement too) needing to be able to cross there?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

It's not that much farther to the US 360 crossing.  In point of fact, for anyone in Clover proper and up to about where SR 600 splits off, it's shorter to go to the US 360 crossing than it is the old VA 92 crossing.

Mapmikey

According to this article, Halifax County in Sept 2016 was going to consider whether to ask for a connector road between US 360 and VA 92 so that a new bridge wouldn't be necessary.

http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_news/deadline-looms-for-financing-decision-on-courthouse/article_c60bd2d2-72d3-11e6-a368-af2684f04bcd.html

I haven't so far been able to find anything related to the justification to replace the bridge.  Perhaps the connector road cost was such that replacing the bridge wasn't much more expensive.  Some info from when the bridge abandonment was coming can be found here which had opposition - http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Misc/misc.transport.road/2008-02/msg02132.html - in 2005 the estimate for a new bridge was $5M plus $1M to tear down the old one.  Repairs to restore it back to the 17-ton weight limit it had would've been nearly as expensive as a new bridge.

I believe the key is the Clover Power Station which may be better served if worker and truck traffic can come/go from the east.  This plant opened right before they closed the bridge.

VTGoose

Danville is pushing "Future I-785" as the way to prosperity. Officials see the "Future" signs as the first step to convert U.S. 29 into a interstate highway.

U.S. 29 will become an interstate stretching all the way from Blairs, Virginia to Greensboro, North Carolina. It's just a matter of time before the signs are switched over.

"This sign is a symbol of a promise, a promise that needs to become a commitment," Senator Bill Stanley said.

The news story states "As it stands, the road fits interstate standards, there are just a few areas that need upgrades before the interstate signs go up." but doesn't go into detail about who has determined that the Danville Bypass (and other parts of the road) is ready for real interstate signs.

See http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/New-interstate-to-bring-business-to-Southside-431189073.html

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

LM117

Quote from: VTGoose on June 28, 2017, 03:03:56 PMThe news story states "As it stands, the road fits interstate standards, there are just a few areas that need upgrades before the interstate signs go up." but doesn't go into detail about who has determined that the Danville Bypass (and other parts of the road) is ready for real interstate signs.

Hell, if the road fits interstate standards, then it wouldn't need any upgrades, now would it? :pan: The only part of the bypass that meets interstate standards is the shoulders. Most of the ramps at the interchanges will need lengthening since they're woefully substandard and the at-grade Elizabeth Street access will need to be either closed off or grade separated.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: VTGoose on June 28, 2017, 03:03:56 PM
Danville is pushing "Future I-785" as the way to prosperity. Officials see the "Future" signs as the first step to convert U.S. 29 into a interstate highway.

U.S. 29 will become an interstate stretching all the way from Blairs, Virginia to Greensboro, North Carolina. It's just a matter of time before the signs are switched over.

"This sign is a symbol of a promise, a promise that needs to become a commitment," Senator Bill Stanley said.

The news story states "As it stands, the road fits interstate standards, there are just a few areas that need upgrades before the interstate signs go up." but doesn't go into detail about who has determined that the Danville Bypass (and other parts of the road) is ready for real interstate signs.

See http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/New-interstate-to-bring-business-to-Southside-431189073.html

Bruce in Blacksburg

There'll be a wait.  As best I can tell no part of the Virginia side requiring upgrades is in the 6-year STIP and the one NC project I found didn't score well enough to get any funding (NC 150 to US 29 Bus)

LM117

To add to what WDBJ missed, the local newspaper here says that interstate designation is being requested for US-29.

http://www.godanriver.com/work_it_sova/news/future-i--corridor-signs-return-to-danville-as-a/article_8af01a36-5b90-11e7-a9a8-0b69d7a4ec4c.html#comments

QuoteHighways signs reading "Future I-785 Corridor"  have been reinstalled along the U.S. 29 bypass from the Virginia-North Carolina border to its intersection at U.S. 58.

State and local officials unveiled the sign during a ceremony Tuesday morning at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research.

Officials who spoke at the event emphasized the importance of highway accessibility for attracting new industries.

"There are a lot of pieces of the economic development puzzle, but highway accessibility is ranked No. 1 by chief executive officers, or CEOs, who determine where to locate or expand their business,"  Del. Danny Marshall said. "What is important to CEOs should be important to us."

The designation as a future interstate corridor would let CEOs know the region is connected with good highways, Marshall said.

Danville, with support from Greensboro, and Guilford, Rockingham and Caswell counties in North Carolina, began an effort in 1996 to obtain interstate designation for U.S. 29 from I-85 in Greensboro.

Signs were installed along the route identifying it as the "Future I-785 Corridor"  in 1998. The signs disappeared from that portion of the highway in Danville a few years ago, likely because of snow removal.

Danville Mayor John Gilstrap called the reinstallation of the signs "a project that offers the promise of a better tomorrow."

"These signs make a valuable statement for Danville and Pittsylvania County when we drive prospects around the region,"  Gilstrap said.

To be able to see an interstate sign, even if it says "future,"  "is something that contributes to the overall story about why Danville/Pittsylvania County is a good location for the project being pursued,"  Gilstrap said.

Marshall, Del. Les Adams and state Sen. Frank Ruff requested that the Virginia Department of Transportation reinstall the signs.

"The ability to move goods in and out is extremely important,"  Ruff said. "The designation as a future interstate corridor, along with our efforts in workforce development training, makes for a great economic development package."

State Sen. Bill Stanley called the sign reinstallation "a symbol of a promise that needs to bring a commitment."

Stanley went on to highlight the gap between spending for interstate projects in Northern Virginia compared to that for projects in Southside. Over the past 20 years, more than $10 billion has been spent in the northern part of the state, compared to $900 million in this region, he said.

"This infrastructure is critical, but if we want it, we must fight for it,"  Stanley said.

During an interview after the event, Marshall told the Danville Register & Bee that federal designation is being sought for the interstate. Marshall said he has talked with U.S. Rep. Tom Garrett, R-5th District, about getting the designation.

Danville Economic Development Director Telly Tucker said the signs and designation would give the region "more visibility for an industry with specific infrastructure needs."

"This allows us to market the region as having interstate designated highways,"  Tucker said.

The Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. – of which Southside is a part – is within a 24-hour drive of two-thirds of the country's population, Tucker added. Getting products to consumers as quickly as possible is paramount, he said. The signs add attractiveness to the region from a marketing standpoint, he said.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 28, 2017, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on June 28, 2017, 03:03:56 PM
Bruce in Blacksburg
There'll be a wait.  As best I can tell no part of the Virginia side requiring upgrades is in the 6-year STIP and the one NC project I found didn't score well enough to get any funding (NC 150 to US 29 Bus)

The Danville Expressway upgrades would be fairly modest.  It is a freeway and Elizabeth Street does not have a median crossover and there are three designed but unbuilt ramps that could be built to Interstate standards.  Not sure of how much demand there is to bridge Elizabeth Street over US-29.

NC US-29 has about 15 miles of nonlimited-access highway that would need -serious- upgrades in order to provide a freeway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

New subject; I-95 Rest Areas.

There seems to be this dirt road that starts where the truck/bus/towed vehicles re-entry ramp merges with the cars re-entry ramp at the northbound Ladysmith rest area, that runs parallel to northbound I-95 for relatively less than a mile and has a dead end just before "Stevens Mill Run." Anyone know what this was for?

davewiecking

Google Earth shows it leading to a structure off in the woods. Sewage treatment??

Mapmikey

Quote from: davewiecking on June 29, 2017, 05:36:23 AM
Google Earth shows it leading to a structure off in the woods. Sewage treatment??

Historic Aerials show a retention pond immediately adjacent to the rest area that was removed between 1994-2002.  There were structures next to it that were also removed.  The extension of the frontage road and structures at the end appeared between 1994-2002 and at least one looks like a water tank of some sort, so sewage treatment is still a viable answer.

plain

WTVR (Richmond) posted a very interesting story & video today, the 25th anniversary of the toll removal on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike

http://wtvr.com/2017/06/29/25-years-ago-the-last-toll-paid-on-interstate-95-in-virginia/
Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 17, 2017, 09:18:45 PM
The upcoming southbound I-95 Rappahannock River crossing project has a new design concept
http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/transportation/new-concept-for-rappahannock-river-crossing-project-on-interstate/article_78f3edd0-b7d4-5004-861a-e0afd5ba9c4c.html
Overall I like this idea and think its an improvement over the original. My only concern is that I hope there is still enough room left in the I-95 median for a theoretical I-95 HOT lanes extension to Spotsylvania if necessary. Its always good to plan ahead.

This new design apparently has no impact on the project's cost.

There was a public meeting Wednesday Night about the updated design.  Currently construction is scheduled to start next year.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Jmiles32

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 30, 2017, 06:57:18 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 17, 2017, 09:18:45 PM
The upcoming southbound I-95 Rappahannock River crossing project has a new design concept
http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/transportation/new-concept-for-rappahannock-river-crossing-project-on-interstate/article_78f3edd0-b7d4-5004-861a-e0afd5ba9c4c.html
Overall I like this idea and think its an improvement over the original. My only concern is that I hope there is still enough room left in the I-95 median for a theoretical I-95 HOT lanes extension to Spotsylvania if necessary. Its always good to plan ahead.

This new design apparently has no impact on the project's cost.

There was a public meeting Wednesday Night about the updated design.  Currently construction is scheduled to start next year.
Even though a large portion of traffic gets off at VA-3(Exit 130) and the project's southern merge area will be "long", I still don't like the idea of six lanes choking back down to three. IMO there needs to be at least one or two auxiliary lanes that stretch from the project's southern terminus to the US-1/US-17 exit(126).
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on June 29, 2017, 05:15:54 PM
WTVR (Richmond) posted a very interesting story & video today, the 25th anniversary of the toll removal on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike

http://wtvr.com/2017/06/29/25-years-ago-the-last-toll-paid-on-interstate-95-in-virginia/

Thanks for sharing this.  Having driven all of the  RPT when  it was a real turnpike, it brought back memories.  Mostly  I drove the northern section, as far south  as Broad Street (Exit 74C today). I think  the coin drop toll there might have been 10¢ or maybe 25¢ (not sure now), but I also drove the entire Pike sometimes, as far as the last toll plaza on I-85 in Petersburg (IIRC, the toll on I-85 was a little higher than the other mainline barriers (at some point maybe 30¢ instead of 25¢)).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 30, 2017, 10:05:00 AM
Even though a large portion of traffic gets off at VA-3(Exit 130) and the project's southern merge area will be "long", I still don't like the idea of six lanes choking back down to three. IMO there needs to be at least one or two auxiliary lanes that stretch from the project's southern terminus to the US-1/US-17 exit(126).

I would love to see the managed lanes end at the last I-95 interchange in Spotsylvania County, at VA-606 (Exit 118, Thornburg).

Beltway

It didn't cost $230 million for the 1992 RPT toll plaza removal project.

From my website --
The I-95 Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike became toll-free on July 1, 1992, and the 3 mainline toll plazas (each 10-12 lanes wide) were demolished, underground foundations removed, unneeded pavement removed, and approach pavement removed and replaced.  VDOT's projects cost a total of $2.5 million and did everything necessary to completely convert each toll plaza section to a full freeway design.  A collection of ramp toll plazas were removed too.  The Turnpike Authority administration building at the VA-10 interchange near Chester remained in place, but it was unoccupied after the toll removal until it was completely renovated in 1994 to be used as a major VDOT training center, which is what it is currently used for.

Portions at either end of the RPT became toll free in 1987 and 1989, and those respective toll plazas were removed then.

From my website --

The Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike's I-85 portion become toll-free in 1986, when Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funds were used to finance most of the project for the new interchange between Squirrel Level Road and I-85 (completed in 1987) in the City of Petersburg; and the mainline Dinwiddie County Toll Plaza near US-1 west of Petersburg was removed then.  The 1989 CTB toll increase decision also provided for the removal of the I-95 Washington Street toll plaza in Petersburg, thereby making toll-free the I-95 portion of the Turnpike south of the Ivey Avenue interchange (completed in 1987, built to help support the Southpark Mall that was built then) in the City of Colonial Heights; this interchange is less than a mile south of the VA-144 Temple Avenue interchange.  Actually Ivey Avenue was not connected to the interchange, and the connecting road into the mall was later named Southpark Boulevard.  The 1989 CTB toll increase decision also provided for the removal of the ramp toll plazas in the City of Richmond at the I-95/I-64/I-195 Bryan Park interchange and at VA-161 Boulevard, thereby making toll-free the I-95 portion of the Turnpike north of Boulevard.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 30, 2017, 12:19:57 PM

Thanks for sharing this.  Having driven all of the  RPT when  it was a real turnpike, it brought back memories.  Mostly  I drove the northern section, as far south  as Broad Street (Exit 74C today). I think  the coin drop toll there might have been 10¢ or maybe 25¢ (not sure now), but I also drove the entire Pike sometimes, as far as the last toll plaza on I-85 in Petersburg (IIRC, the toll on I-85 was a little higher than the other mainline barriers (at some point maybe 30¢ instead of 25¢)).

It brought me back to that time as well, I was a kid when I rode on the turnpike many times with my pops in the 1980s and still remember certain aspects of the road. The highest the I-85 toll booth got was 25 cents, as that toll point was the first to be eliminated.. we actually came through there when it became toll free but the plaza wasn't dismantled yet. The Broad St ramps were never tolled, as this exit (as well as the Franklin St ramp SB) was a "halfway point" between one tolled section and the next. You are spot on with the 10 cents number though as most ramp tolls along the 'pike cost just that, with a couple costing 25 cents before the 1992 detolling. I'm not sure how much the I-95 ramp toll (the "Washington St toll" Beltway mentions on his site) at the I-85 split was though as we always continued on 85 to Henderson, NC.

There is something I think I also remember, maybe someone can help me out with this: wasn't there for a short time in the late 80's/early 90's a RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP at the Belvidere toll plaza SB?

I'm always looking for old pics and vids of turnpikes because I love the unique signage on them, and the RTP is no different (well at least the pre 1970's RTP). The video WTVR provided gave me a glance at such signage, and also a look at the ramp from the turnpike NB to Broad St EB (obviously no longer there because of VA 195).

@Beltway: I kinda went WTF myself when they threw that $230 million number out there for toll removal. I agree that that number is way too high.

Beltway

Quote from: plain on June 30, 2017, 01:02:46 PM
There is something I think I also remember, maybe someone can help me out with this: wasn't there for a short time in the late 80's/early 90's a RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP at the Belvidere toll plaza SB?

Yes there was and I wish I had taken a photo of it, although it looked unremarkable from ground level.

Basically about 1,000 feet long and rising to a height of about 10 feet at the end and with retaining walls on the side and end.  Not meant for high speed trucks, probably 25 mph or less, as a few trucks had lost their brakes and crashed into a toll booth.  There is a long grade to the north of the toll plaza of about 2%.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

Quote from: Beltway on June 30, 2017, 01:25:20 PM
Quote from: plain on June 30, 2017, 01:02:46 PM

Yes there was and I wish I had taken a photo of it, although it looked unremarkable from ground level.

Basically about 1,000 feet long and rising to a height of about 10 feet at the end and with retaining walls on the side and end.  Not meant for high speed trucks, probably 25 mph or less, as a few trucks had lost their brakes and crashed into a toll booth.  There is a long grade to the north of the toll plaza of about 2%.

Ahh thanks!!! There was a discussion last month on a Facebook page about I-95 and someone brought up the  RPT. So I mentioned the truck ramp and this dude on there (ironically he said he's been driving trucks for over 30 years) denied that it ever existed. I was like I KNOW WHAT I SAW! I wish you had a picture of it too.. If I'm not mistaken this could very well have been the only truck ramp to exist anywhere on I-95. Or are there any in Maine or something?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.