News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: dfwmapper on July 20, 2015, 06:13:19 PM
Yes, they announced a few days ago that it's coming back in early August, and also that they're planning to shift primary review duties to the community with only certain things needing review by them (no specifics provided on where the dividing line will be).

Maybe Google found out about Roadgeeks and want to rely on them now.  :bigass:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

SignGeek101

Another error from Google:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6333575,-81.1311251,17z?hl=en

Hwy 70 was decommissioned in 1997. It no longer exists. Shouldn't be in a map that was made years later.

Highway63

Not a highway error, but the Iowa River is marked as the Lowa River from Steamboat Rock to Albion.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on July 26, 2015, 12:44:26 AM
Not a highway error, but the Iowa River is marked as the Lowa River from Steamboat Rock to Albion.

Bet this is another one of those 'India Mods Strike Again'.

iBallasticwolf2

dfwmapper

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 26, 2015, 03:00:13 AM

Bet this is another one of those 'India Mods Strike Again'.
Yep. Google disabled editing of rivers by mappers on January 29, and the change was made on January 30. In the default font Google uses, a lowercase l looks like an uppercase I, so if you're a dumbass from the wrong side of the world and don't know basic US geography and state names, you might fuck that up.
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 27, 2015, 12:43:21 PM
A second Interstate 45?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@31.7657528,-106.4498422,18.14z
Apparently so!
The Federal Highway 45 name was extended north over the bridge into the US. Mexico's Federal Highways have the same classification internally as Interstates, and the icon is automatic based on the classification+country. It's now on my list of stuff to fix once Map Maker reopens.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 27, 2015, 12:43:21 PM
A second Interstate 45?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@31.7657528,-106.4498422,18.14z
Apparently so!
The Federal Highway 45 name was extended north over the bridge into the US. Mexico's Federal Highways have the same classification internally as Interstates, and the icon is automatic based on the classification+country. It's now on my list of stuff to fix once Map Maker reopens.
[/quote]

That makes sense. It seems to even show a I-45 shield on the Mexico Side of the bridge.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@31.7640953,-106.451138,19.67z

dfwmapper

It's not actually the physical location of the segment, it's the country in the address associated with the segment, which may not match the actual location, and is not pleasant to try and fix. The segment of northbound lanes immediately south of the border has a Texas address, and the segment of southbound lanes immediately north of the border has a Chihuahua address.

Pete from Boston

Not highways, but there's a systemic failure to map Martha's Vineyard roads properly.  Countless private dirt roads that are little more than driveways (many marked "no trespassing") are drawn equal to local public through streets.  Worst overall results I've had from using Google Maps in quite a while.

dfwmapper

Driveways get into a very gray area in the map rules. Driveways that serve 3 or more houses are explicitly permitted on the map, as are driveways that are useful in navigation if a destination is well back from the main road and directions get the location wrong (usually when the driveway curves or slants so the house isn't aligned to where the driveway meets the road). There is a public/private attribute that can be set to Private for roads inside gated communities or with posted "no trespassing" signs, and that changes the rendering so the road is gray instead of white. But, it's rarely set correctly for posted but ungated roads because of the difficulty in identifying the signs in street view. It's easy enough to fix specific ones (once MM is reopened), but it looks like street view in that area is pretty old so being able to systematically identify them without actually being there might be difficult.

formulanone

We bought a wooden puzzle set for our children which included a map of the US. Iowa was also spelled "Lowa".

Mysterious America Puzzle by formulanone, on Flickr

Pete from Boston

Quote from: formulanone on July 28, 2015, 08:04:57 PM

We bought a wooden puzzle set for our children which included a map of the US. Iowa was also spelled "Lowa".

The shapes of those states are making me queasy, never mind their approach to the four-color map problem.  We were not consulted up here as to whether we even wanted Connecticut or Rhode Island.

I am grateful, though, for them shortening my trip to New York.  I always did wish Boston was where Hartford is.

Also, what state is Maui part of?

Zeffy

Trenton is now where Newark is. Great. The state shape for New Jersey as a whole is fucking vomit-inducing too.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

tdindy88

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 05, 2015, 08:31:26 PM

I believe it's a part of the state of "Hawaii Islands." Now back to shaking my head at that puzzle.

iBallasticwolf2

The shapes of those states are making me queasy, never mind their approach to the four-color map problem.  We were not consulted up here as to whether we even wanted Connecticut or Rhode Island.

I could have put up with this at first but when they spelt Cincinnati wrong (They spelled it Cincinanti) that was the last straw. Also Topeka is south of Kansas City now. Also the Maryland and Delaware borders are REALLY screwed up. They used that cow insert 5 times and the Ohio River is so straight it made Kentucky smaller. Also it seems Toas, NM is large enough to display on this map even though it is smaller than 10,000 people.

Big John

^^ Add Winsconsin

And the I in Iowa is in Sait Lake City\

And don't go to Indianpous or Dailas

hotdogPi

Not mentioned yet:

1. Massachusetts touches Maine.
2. Idano. Does it mean "I don't know"?
3. Dailas.
4. Reno, Carson City, and Las Vegas are all capitals.
5. Minneapous. Indianapous is the same.
6. Harrisburg and Philadelphia are the same city.
7. New Hamshire, no P.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Pete from Boston

Bruce

Seattle seems to be tucked right under Mount Baker. Olympia has decided to move onto the Olympic Peninsula and into the Olympic Mountains.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 08, 2015, 07:56:46 AM
Not an erroneous highway, but knowing where Google is from, I'm not surprised North Korea appears as 북한 (Bukhan) instead of 조선 (Joseon).

I can't believe they have corrected this one, it now appears as 조선 민주주의 인민공화국 (Joseon Minjujueui Inmin Gonghwaguk, lit. DPR Korea).

Also, look what Google came up with when I searched 'Chinese Taipei' (i.e. Taiwan): https://www.google.es/maps/place/China+Taipei/@39.5685408,-104.902878,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x876c84382c3edfc1:0xa66ad458898ef3
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

noelbotevera

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 06, 2015, 05:04:15 AM
Not an erroneous highway, but knowing where Google is from, I'm not surprised North Korea appears as 북한 (Bukhan) instead of 조선 (Joseon).

I can't believe they have corrected this one, it now appears as 조선 민주주의 인민공화국 (Joseon Minjujueui Inmin Gonghwaguk, lit. DPR Korea).

Also, look what Google came up with when I searched 'Chinese Taipei' (i.e. Taiwan): https://www.google.es/maps/place/China+Taipei/@39.5685408,-104.902878,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x876c84382c3edfc1:0xa66ad458898ef3
Well, time to go to Colorado. Clearly that's where Taiwan is, right!? (sarcasm)
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 06, 2015, 01:16:35 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 06, 2015, 05:04:15 AM

Well, time to go to Colorado. Clearly that's where Taiwan is, right!? (sarcasm)

In fairness, Chinese Taipei is not a geographic name, but rather a political compromise of nomenclature solely within the activities of the International Olympic Committee.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 05, 2015, 08:42:42 PM

I could have put up with this at first but when they spelt Cincinnati wrong (They spelled it Cincinanti) that was the last straw. Also Topeka is south of Kansas City now. Also the Maryland and Delaware borders are REALLY screwed up. They used that cow insert 5 times and the Ohio River is so straight it made Kentucky smaller. Also it seems Toas, NM is large enough to display on this map even though it is smaller than 10,000 people.
I'm pretty sure Alabama ain't supposed to look like that and that Tallahassee, FL is supposed to be a bit farther to the east.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.9736002,-78.8954793,15z?hl=en

Hold on Google, this freeway isn't supposed to open until the end of the year (if not later).

dfwmapper

Map Maker has partially reopened (Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, India, Philippines and Ukraine only for now). Thousand Islands Parkway is now fixed, county road 78 has been fixed for a while, and the 407 freeway is pending.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.