News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2015, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: riiga on February 27, 2015, 12:50:29 PM
This is why you should use a pictogram rather than text, it removes the ambiguity and need to argue about semantics.

Any of these would make it completely clear:

Except that the green circle sometimes means "you must do this" and sometimes means "you are permitted to do this".

That's also why that type of sign doesn't exist yet (green is too ambiguous (based on current regulation)). That doesn't negate Riiga's reasoning, however. It makes more sense to tell drivers what they must do rather than what they can't do, status quo be damned.

Perhaps instead, a couple of these:

1995hoo

Maybe the reason for not having those at that particular location is that they have the single traffic light for both lanes on a short mast arm and most DOTs seem to prefer having one of those signs for each lane?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: jakeroot on February 27, 2015, 04:18:28 PM
Perhaps instead, a couple of these:

I have a suspicion some people might take that as having the same meaning as a "ONE WAY" sign, and not realize that it prohibits turns.  After all, a "ONE WAY" sign for a crossroad is very similar, and it doesn't require drivers to turn that way.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PHLBOS

Copied from the Redesign This thread:
The street itself is VT 9; if one scans through GSV, one can see several trailblazer/reassurance signs indicating such in the immediate vicinity.

The right BGS should include 9 EAST legend and the middle BGS can be narrower sans the misleading TO Vt. 9 EAST legend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

Those "9"s in the I-91 shields got hit with an ugly stick!   :-D

Zeffy

Quote from: thenetwork on February 27, 2015, 06:51:18 PM
Those "9"s in the I-91 shields got hit with an ugly stick!   :-D

Actually, I think that's the "LeHay" font.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Just replace the 'to' with a 'bypass' and all is good.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 27, 2015, 11:16:21 AM
Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2015, 11:10:50 AM
NO TURNS means no turns. It's not incorrect at this location.
That is your opinion.  To me and many others (maybe not on here as I just learned) NO TURNS means left and right and not LEFT and U.

http://goo.gl/maps/j10sM

Throughout the state this sign is found at the base of nearly every ramp as one enters a highway.  Are you saying that one can't turn left across the highway into the median; can't turn right into the woods, but making a U-turn is perfectly fine???

jakeroot

Funny. My redesign was the only one that put "VT-9" on the through portion:

Quote from: jakeroot on February 15, 2015, 02:59:50 PM

Quote from: vtk on February 27, 2015, 04:39:13 PM
I have a suspicion some people might take that as having the same meaning as a "ONE WAY" sign, and not realize that it prohibits turns.  After all, a "ONE WAY" sign for a crossroad is very similar, and it doesn't require drivers to turn that way.

Maybe. Sometimes I've seen an "Only" sign next to a prohibition sign to prevent this confusion.

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2015, 04:35:22 PM
Maybe the reason for not having those at that particular location is that they have the single traffic light for both lanes on a short mast arm and most DOTs seem to prefer having one of those signs for each lane?

Perhaps.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on February 27, 2015, 07:10:59 PM
Funny. My redesign was the only one that put "VT-9" on the through portion:

It's also worth noting that VT 9 intersects US 5 in downtown Brattleboro (it also is multiplexes with it to the north); so the TO US 5 references on the I-91 BGS', while not 100% incorrect can be misleading as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NE2

Perhaps there was a 'trucks over x tons' or somesuch on the bottom.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Even if right turns are prohibited, the double arrow would still let me know to watch for traffic coming from both directions.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I never see this kind of screwup in Washington...US-395 is incorrectly labelled as SR-395 on street blades at three different signals near downtown Kennewick:

Now technically, US-395 is legislated as SR-395 for maintenance purposes or something, but to the general public, this might be a bit misleading.

Kacie Jane

One of the I-5/US 12 interchanges had a street blade on the overpass that says "SR 12".

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 03, 2015, 01:15:51 AM
One of the I-5/US 12 interchanges had a street blade on the overpass that says "SR 12".

Hmm. Perhaps more common than I thought. Can you think of any other mis-labels like this?

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on March 03, 2015, 01:19:56 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 03, 2015, 01:15:51 AM

Hmm. Perhaps more common than I thought. Can you think of any other mis-labels like this?
I've seen a ton of SR 99s...

PHLBOS

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 02, 2015, 07:53:14 PM
Found this on Facebook:

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 08:08:51 PM
Perhaps there was a 'trucks over x tons' or somesuch on the bottom.
Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2015, 08:26:16 PM
Even if right turns are prohibited, the double arrow would still let me know to watch for traffic coming from both directions.
The AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY sign posted to the right of the double-arrow sign might shed some light regarding that intersection; but if the intended restriction is applied to those turning right (as well as those continuing straight on the main road), IMHO, that sign should be placed near or below that No Right turn sign.  The sign's current location is a bit confusing/misleading.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

djsinco

This is an "only in NJ" moment.

3 million miles and counting

freebrickproductions

This should be US 31 and not US 72. US 72 doesn't even run through Decatur (although US 72 Alt. does).
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@34.603843,-86.980522,-240.77h,-0.39p,3z
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 03, 2015, 01:08:44 AM
I never see this kind of screwup in Washington...US-395 is incorrectly labelled as SR-395 on street blades at three different signals near downtown Kennewick:

Now technically, US-395 is legislated as SR-395 for maintenance purposes or something, but to the general public, this might be a bit misleading.

I'm struggling to imagine a person actually being misled by that sign.

A thought that will never happen: "Oh, look, here's highway 395, which is where I need to turn. Oh, crap, wait a minute, this road is STATE route 395 but I'm looking for U.S. 395, so I guess I'd better keep driving until I find my junction."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 04, 2015, 11:51:09 AM
This should be US 31 and not US 72. US 72 doesn't even run through Decatur (although US 72 Alt. does).
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@34.603843,-86.980522,-240.77h,-0.39p,3z

I'm guessing AL 24 ran along Moulton Street and ended at US 31, until it was routed along Beltline Avenue/AL 67. "TO" signs weren't as widespread as they are now...but US 72 (Alternate) is just a few blocks away.

vtk

Quote from: djsinco on March 04, 2015, 04:21:29 AM

Stop sign, "no stopping", and traffic signal – any two of those are contradictory.  And the stop sign is hinged...  Got an explanation for any of this?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

djsinco

Quote from: vtk on March 04, 2015, 03:05:47 PM

Stop sign, "no stopping", and traffic signal – any two of those are contradictory.  And the stop sign is hinged...  Got an explanation for any of this?
My friend who live in the area told me that Sunday morning they flip the sign down, and there is a police officer directing traffic.

Good catch, this makes it a little less humorous, but, to me, I still got a kick out of it...
3 million miles and counting

6a

Quote from: djsinco on March 04, 2015, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: vtk on March 04, 2015, 03:05:47 PM

My friend who live in the area told me that Sunday morning they flip the sign down, and there is a police officer directing traffic.

Good catch, this makes it a little less humorous, but, to me, I still got a kick out of it...

That wouldn't be bad in case of a power outage, either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.