News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95 gap in NJ

Started by Roadman66, October 13, 2011, 01:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: MrDisco99 on February 18, 2012, 03:13:14 PM
There's plenty of room to put a double trumpet there.  If they wanted to, they would've done it already.  I figure they haven't for much the same reasons they never finished I-95, i.e. to keep as many cars on the Turnpike as possible.
Not to mention that NJTPA totally redid Exit 6A (US 130 interchange) about a decade ago.

Quote from: Steve on February 18, 2012, 10:48:12 PM
Maybe they'd want to have ramps from 295 NB-Turnpike NB and 295 SB-Turnpike SB only... that'll keep the shunpikers away (:
That could work.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Sansbonsang

Quote from: qguy on October 18, 2011, 09:21:01 AM
Raymond Marton's site is very good, even if the most recent info is becoming a little dated. His pages on the I-95 gap and solution start here:
www.njfreeways.com/Interstate_95_Gap.html

He researched a *ton* of info for that history. (I was one of the contributors; therefore it must be good.  :-D )

The long and short of it is that NIMBYs in central NJ fought the construction of I-95 no matter *where* it was proposed to be built. The state proposed it one place–they fought it. The state said, "OK then, howzabout over here?"–they fought it. The state proposed, "Perhaps in this location then?"–"Nope, we're a-gin' it!" Enough vocal opposition just didn't want it anywhere, no matter what. They were only going to be satisfied with complete abandonment.

And in the end, that is what they got.

It has been much noted among the roadgeek population that there is no direct all-highway connection between New York City and Philadelphia. What doesn't get noticed as much is that direct and all-highway or not, there is not–and even when the I-95/PATP connection is built there will not be–an alternate highway route between the two largest cities on the east coast. The NJTP is and will be the only highway route between the two.

It's been a while since posts were added to this discussion, which I have found through Google searches using "I-95 New Jersey gap" as query. As a Canadian who has driven through the "gap" several times, through various routes, on our way to Virginia Beach from Quebec City, I was very interested in this discussion thread. I would like to share my thoughts on this issue.

First, I was a bit surprised that the solution reached by the DOT authorities for closing the gap is to build a high-speed interchange between I-95 and I-276 in Bristol, PA. It seems like the only reason for building this costly interchange is to have I-95 shields all along the way from Philadelphia to NYC. If the need to have I-95 signs all along the way was indeed the primary concern, why not simply renumber the section of I-295 between I-95 and I-195 as I-95, then renumber I-195 between current I-295 and NJ Tpk as I-95, then confirm numbering of the NJ Tpk section between current I-195 and GWB as I-95? In other words, making changes to the numbering of existing expressways would allow motorists to stay on I-95 all along the way. Admittedly, current I-195 interchanges with I-95 and NJ Tpk are not high-speed, but perhaps that could be done? In addition, it is obvious that this solution would not be the shortest path in terms of distance. I leave it up to you, the taxpayers, to decide whether this planned investment will be worthwhile.

The second important point, eloquently expressed by qguy, is that the only expressway going from Trenton to New Brunswick is, and will remain, NJ Tpk. Now imagine the increased traffic to the NJ Tpk section between Trenton and New Brunswick brought about by a high-speed connection between I-95 and I-276? That expressway section, which currently sees heavy traffic, is bound to be clogged solid. It does not make sense to me that three expressways or so (I-95, I-295, and NJ Tpk) allow to go from Trenton to the Delaware Memorial Bridge - Wilmington area, yet for a ~25 mile gap between Trenton and New Brunswick, the only option is and will be NJ Tpk. This section will likely become a nightmare for motorists. Good luck! The same bottleneck effect occurs between Wilmington, DE and Baltimore, albeit to a lesser extent since a fraction of southbound traffic heads to Delaware via DE-1 expressway. From Baltimore going northbound, I presume it is, and will remain, difficult.

Last point. Looks weird to me that long stretches of NJ Tpk are not numbered - the "numberless" expressway  :hmmm:. As others have mentioned before, a simple solution to the I-95 gap is to assign I-95 for the entire length of NK Tpk, and renumber current I-95 in PA to something like I-695 or another connecting number. Still, that does not solve the Trenton-to-New Brunswick single-expressway issue mentioned above. The ultimate solution would be to continue I-95 way north of the original Somerset County path. For NJ Tpk authorities who worry that they would lose motorists and money if I-95 were to be extended to connect with I-287, I do not think it is a valid concern: the steady increase in traffic would very likely compensate for the loss in motorists and money very quickly.

Last comment, I promise: I am not the one who is paying, so my suggestions are free! Don't worry: we have enough traffic problems in Montreal, Quebec City, etc., to pay for!

Looking forward for comments and feedback...

Amicalement,

JF, alias Sansbonsang

Alps

Quote from: Sansbonsang on July 21, 2012, 04:24:51 PM

First, I was a bit surprised that the solution reached by the DOT authorities for closing the gap is to build a high-speed interchange between I-95 and I-276 in Bristol, PA. It seems like the only reason for building this costly interchange is to have I-95 shields all along the way from Philadelphia to NYC. If the need to have I-95 signs all along the way was indeed the primary concern, why not simply renumber the section of I-295 between I-95 and I-195 as I-95, then renumber I-195 between current I-295 and NJ Tpk as I-95, then confirm numbering of the NJ Tpk section between current I-195 and GWB as I-95? In other words, making changes to the numbering of existing expressways would allow motorists to stay on I-95 all along the way. Admittedly, current I-195 interchanges with I-95 and NJ Tpk are not high-speed, but perhaps that could be done? In addition, it is obvious that this solution would not be the shortest path in terms of distance. I leave it up to you, the taxpayers, to decide whether this planned investment will be worthwhile.

It probably costs less to do what they're doing now than it would to redo the I-195 interchanges to make it more of a through route. Also, the I-276/I-95 connection should have been built decades ago, and still should be built with more movements than it will have (NB/SB 95 only).

The second important point, eloquently expressed by qguy, is that the only expressway going from Trenton to New Brunswick is, and will remain, NJ Tpk. Now imagine the increased traffic to the NJ Tpk section between Trenton and New Brunswick brought about by a high-speed connection between I-95 and I-276? That expressway section, which currently sees heavy traffic, is bound to be clogged solid. It does not make sense to me that three expressways or so (I-95, I-295, and NJ Tpk) allow to go from Trenton to the Delaware Memorial Bridge - Wilmington area, yet for a ~25 mile gap between Trenton and New Brunswick, the only option is and will be NJ Tpk. This section will likely become a nightmare for motorists. Good luck! The same bottleneck effect occurs between Wilmington, DE and Baltimore, albeit to a lesser extent since a fraction of southbound traffic heads to Delaware via DE-1 expressway. From Baltimore going northbound, I presume it is, and will remain, difficult.

This is why the Turnpike is widening from Interchanges 6-9. By the time PA completes its portion, the NJ Turnpike will be 6 lanes in each direction all the way from the Penn Tpk. Extension, so there will be absolutely no issues with traffic.

Last point. Looks weird to me that long stretches of NJ Tpk are not numbered - the "numberless" expressway  :hmmm:. As others have mentioned before, a simple solution to the I-95 gap is to assign I-95 for the entire length of NJ Tpk, and renumber current I-95 in PA to something like I-695 or another connecting number. Still, that does not solve the Trenton-to-New Brunswick single-expressway issue mentioned above. The ultimate solution would be to continue I-95 way north of the original Somerset County path. For NJ Tpk authorities who worry that they would lose motorists and money if I-95 were to be extended to connect with I-287, I do not think it is a valid concern: the steady increase in traffic would very likely compensate for the loss in motorists and money very quickly.
Philadelphia doesn't want to lose its 2-digit N-S interstate. Philly is a very important city, especially historically, and deserves to have the I-95 mainline through there. Why it wasn't an I-95 W/E issue is probably because NJ didn't push very hard to have I-95E - at that time the southern Turnpike was (and still somewhat is) very rural and low-traffic.

Continuing I-95 along the Somerset County path is still necessary. Even with the Turnpike widening, there is a lot of local traffic between those points using US 206, NJ 31, and other hardly-worthy alternates. For example, from the I-287/80 junction to Philadelphia, the best route is to take US 206, not the Turnpike. I actually take other back roads to avoid 206. The Hillsborough Bypass is a start, but not enough. A Somerset Freeway would be less deleterious to the Tpk. than the actually-built I-295 that siphons off traffic from Exits 1-7 or 7A. But at this point, there are enough rich NIMBYs that it will never happen.

Beltway

The need stands for the I-95 / PA Turnpike interchange, for regional and local access, even aside from the issue of I-95 continuity.

Regarding the unnumbered segment of the NJTP south of the PA Turnpike extension, it could be I-695 or I-895, if they really want an Interstate route number.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

YankeesFan

Quote from: Beltway on July 21, 2012, 05:04:00 PM
The need stands for the I-95 / PA Turnpike interchange, for regional and local access, even aside from the issue of I-95 continuity.

Regarding the unnumbered segment of the NJTP south of the PA Turnpike extension, it could be I-695 or I-895, if they really want an Interstate route number.

i think they should make the NJTP south of PA turnpike extension 295 and make the current 295 a southern extension of NJ 29

qguy

Quote from: Sansbonsang on July 21, 2012, 04:24:51 PMalias Sansbonsang

Others have already provided the replies I might've, so I have just one question: What in the world is a bonsang, and why are you without one?

Sansbonsang

Quote from: qguy on July 21, 2012, 07:34:35 PM

Others have already provided the replies I might've, so I have just one question: What in the world is a bonsang, and why are you without one?

"Sansbonsang" is a contraction of a French expression, "sans bon sang". A literal translation would be like "no bloody sense", or "without bloody sense". I work for the blood component supplier serving the hospitals of the Province of Quebec, hence the reference to blood in my nickname.

Thanks to all those who posted sound and sensible replies to my post.

qguy

Quote from: Sansbonsang on July 21, 2012, 10:44:54 PM
Quote from: qguy on July 21, 2012, 07:34:35 PM

"Sansbonsang" is a contraction of a French expression, "sans bon sang". A literal translation would be like "no bloody sense", or "without bloody sense". I work for the blood component supplier serving the hospitals of the Province of Quebec, hence the reference to blood in my nickname.

Thanks to all those who posted sound and sensible replies to my post.

Very interesting. As with most forums, many (if not most) of the posters have monikers with some sort of meaning behind them. Sometimes we can figure them out, but sometimes the meaning is known only to the owner. With my high school French, I knew what sans meant, but the rest was a head-scratcher. (To me anyway. Others may have known.)

swbrotha100

The NJ Turnpike mainline that isn't part of I-95 (south of exit 6) is secret NJ 700. If it wasn't for the desire to keep I-95 in Philadelphia, I think I-95 would have been signed on the entire length of the Turnpike.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the southern section had an official interstate number (most likely an I-x95).

broadhurst04

Quote from: swbrotha100 on July 22, 2012, 08:19:30 PM
The NJ Turnpike mainline that isn't part of I-95 (south of exit 6) is secret NJ 700. If it wasn't for the desire to keep I-95 in Philadelphia, I think I-95 would have been signed on the entire length of the Turnpike.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the southern section had an official interstate number (most likely an I-x95).

I wonder if that's why states such as VA ignore Philadelphia as a control city on 95 and use NYC instead...do other states think that 95 is signed over the entire Turnpike and therefore misses Philly to the east?

Beltway

Quote from: broadhurst04 on July 22, 2012, 09:23:37 PM

I wonder if that's why states such as VA ignore Philadelphia as a control city on 95 and use NYC instead...do other states think that 95 is signed over the entire Turnpike and therefore misses Philly to the east?

All they would have to do is look at a map to see that I-95 goes through DE and PA.

There are probably 2 reasons -- the NJTP and DM Bridge provided the through freeway route before I-95 was conceived, and I-95 still has a missing link in PA.

So there may be a widespread public sense that the entire NJTP and the DM Bridge are the "implicit I-95" between DE and NY.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: broadhurst04 on July 22, 2012, 09:23:37 PM

My guess is that most of the traffic on I-95 in Virginia that's headed north is headed for NYC, not Philly. Of course there are a handful of other control cities between there and Philly, such as DC, Baltimore and Wilmington. Not to mention the good ol' Del Mem Br.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: YankeesFan on July 21, 2012, 05:30:38 PM

i think they should make the NJTP south of PA turnpike extension 295 and make the current 295 a southern extension of NJ 29

29 is a state route, so that would be decommissioning the interstate designation of 295 for 60 miles, which would serve no benefit whatsoever.

Remember - I-295 was supposed to be a large loop around Wilmington, Philadelphia & Trenton, meeting back up with 95 north of Trenton.  Of course, 95 was never completed in NJ.  That, combined with how 295 goes thru NJ away from PA, makes it look and feel like a separate route rather than a loop around a city (or in this case, cities), which is how a 3di is supposed to operate. 

One can argue that since it won't meet up with the parent 95, 295 should become 395 or another odd digit 3di since tehnically it'll be a spur rather than a loop (although it'll continue as another 3di).  One way around that is to cosign 195 between I-295 (Exit 60) and the NJ Turnpike (Exit 6) as 295 also, so it would meet back up with 95!

If they wanted to give the NJ Turnpike below Interchange 6 an interstate designation, they could simply give it 695 or 895, neither of which are used in NJ.

Beltway

<<< My guess is that most of the traffic on I-95 in Virginia that's headed north is headed for NYC, not Philly. Of course there are a handful of other control cities between there and Philly, such as DC, Baltimore and Wilmington. Not to mention the good ol' Del Mem Br. >>>

Maryland does the same as Virginia, they omit Philadelphia as well.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on July 23, 2012, 10:39:02 AM

Correct.

Once the PTC and PennDOT get the missing connection between I-95 and the E-W mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike remediated (still 4 or 5 years away - how slow can they go), it would seem to make sense for VDOT, Maryland SHA, MdTA, DelDOT, PennDOT and the PTC to perhaps reconsider what control cities are used for I-95 northbound from Fairfax County, Va. all the way up to (and including) the Delaware Expressway. Though the New Jersey Turnpike Authority might not like some traffic bound for New York and North Jersey being diverted away from the Turnpike (south of Exit 6) to use "free" I-95 through Wilmington and Philadelphia.

Same thing for I-95 southbound from the George Washington Bridge, including signage on the New Jersey Turnpike itself approaching Exit 6.

A complete I-95 might be the motivation needed by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to seek a 3di (895 or 695, as suggested above) for the section between Exits 1 and 6?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jwolfer

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 23, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

Correct.

Once the PTC and PennDOT get the missing connection between I-95 and the E-W mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike remediated (still 4 or 5 years away - how slow can they go), it would seem to make sense for VDOT, Maryland SHA, MdTA, DelDOT, PennDOT and the PTC to perhaps reconsider what control cities are used for I-95 northbound from Fairfax County, Va. all the way up to (and including) the Delaware Expressway. Though the New Jersey Turnpike Authority might not like some traffic bound for New York and North Jersey being diverted away from the Turnpike (south of Exit 6) to use "free" I-95 through Wilmington and Philadelphia.

Same thing for I-95 southbound from the George Washington Bridge, including signage on the New Jersey Turnpike itself approaching Exit 6.

A complete I-95 might be the motivation needed by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to seek a 3di (895 or 695, as suggested above) for the section between Exits 1 and 6?

The NJ Turnpike Authority does not want to make it obvious that I-95 leaves the road.  Making it a 3di would make the point obvious and more travelers in the year 2020 may choose to take I-95 thru Philadelphia, but i suspect GPS will continue to direct people to take the NJTP no matter what the routing of i-95 is

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jwolfer on July 23, 2012, 04:55:25 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 23, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

Correct.

The NJ Turnpike Authority does not want to make it obvious that I-95 leaves the road.

Once the gap (which was of New Jersey's making - not Pennsylvania's), I don't think they will have much of a choice but to honestly sign I-95 as crossing the Delaware River onto the E-W mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

QuoteMaking it a 3di would make the point obvious and more travelers in the year 2020 may choose to take I-95 thru Philadelphia, but i suspect GPS will continue to direct people to take the NJTP no matter what the routing of i-95 is

Agreed regarding GPS programming.

But a 3di is probably better than "secret" N.J. 700. 

IMO, all roads with a functional classification of freeway should have route numbers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

The current "implicit I-95" bypasses Pennsylvania completely. 

That is likely the main reason why Philadelphia is not noted on I-95 in Maryland and Virginia.

That may change once I-95 is completed in Pennsylvania.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on July 23, 2012, 04:55:25 PM

The NJ Turnpike Authority does not want to make it obvious that I-95 leaves the road.  Making it a 3di would make the point obvious and more travelers in the year 2020 may choose to take I-95 thru Philadelphia, but i suspect GPS will continue to direct people to take the NJTP no matter what the routing of i-95 is
Well, it IS obvious that I-95 leaves the road, because it's going to be blatantly signed up at Exit 6, and NB travelers see it continuing to Philly. I think the main reason it won't happen now is that the NJTA has no reason to go through the trouble of signing another route when they already have a workable shield recognized by travelers all over the country (at least truckers). People know what the NJ Turnpike is, and that won't change regardless of any number that follows it. I don't know why it wasn't originally included in the Interstate system, though, when all the other toll roads were.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on July 23, 2012, 08:07:44 PM
I don't know why it wasn't originally included in the Interstate system, though, when all the other toll roads were.
The 1958 plan did not assign an Interstate number to the Ohio Turnpike in the Cleveland area (I-80 followed SR 18 from Norwalk to Youngstown, and I-80N continued past the current end of I-480 to Edinburg).

The Connecticut, Kansas, and Maine Turnpikes also had non-Interstate portions, and a bit of the New York Thruway is still not an Interstate.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on July 23, 2012, 05:39:28 PM
The current "implicit I-95" bypasses Pennsylvania completely. 

That is likely the main reason why Philadelphia is not noted on I-95 in Maryland and Virginia.

That may change once I-95 is completed in Pennsylvania.

I strongly agree with you. 

I would hope that the subject is reconsidered when I-95 is really completed. 

Might be something that the I-95 Corridor Coalition should discuss.

cpzilliacus

Well, it IS obvious that I-95 leaves the road, because it's going to be blatantly signed up at Exit 6, and NB travelers see it continuing to Philly.

Might the signs approaching Exit 6 southbound actually include Philadelphia as a control city?

I think the main reason it won't happen now is that the NJTA has no reason to go through the trouble of signing another route when they already have a workable shield recognized by travelers all over the country (at least truckers).

Though the N.J. Turnpike shield, famous though it is, is not a route number.

People know what the NJ Turnpike is, and that won't change regardless of any number that follows it. I don't know why it wasn't originally included in the Interstate system, though, when all the other toll roads were.

I don't think that is always a good assumption.  I am sometimes amazed by  how clueless [non-roadgeek] people are on some of these subjects.

deathtopumpkins

Everyone I've ever mentioned the NJTP to in either Virginia or Massachusetts has known exactly what it is immediately. It's easily one of the most famous roads in the country, at least on the east coast. Way more well-known than many interstates. A well-established name like the NJTP is far more recognizable than any number.

And FWIW, my phone (what I'm posting from) autocorrected to NJTP above. Even the acronym came already in my phone's dictionary...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

jeffandnicole

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 24, 2012, 02:06:42 PM
Everyone I've ever mentioned the NJTP to in either Virginia or Massachusetts has known exactly what it is immediately. It's easily one of the most famous roads in the country, at least on the east coast. Way more well-known than many interstates. A well-established name like the NJTP is far more recognizable than any number.

And FWIW, my phone (what I'm posting from) autocorrected to NJTP above. Even the acronym came already in my phone's dictionary...

As famous as it is, many, many people would have never heard of it, or if they heard of it, they paid no mind to it.

There's a reason why Coke and McDonalds advertise even their most basic offerings.  Almost everyone has heard of them, but if they stopped advertising, then people think of something else.  The New Jersey Turnpike is a road most people have heard of, but unless it involves their travel plans, they probably could care less about it.

In my days of working with the turnpike at Interchange 1, more than one person asked what state they were in.  The New Jersey in "New Jersey Turnpike" meant nothing to them.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 24, 2012, 02:23:19 PMIn my days of working with the turnpike at Interchange 1, more than one person asked what state they were in.  The New Jersey in "New Jersey Turnpike" meant nothing to them.

That is just too hilarious! And in no way contradicts my experience. When I worked at PennDOT, I was often stunned into slack-jawed wonder by some of the questions people would ask me every now and again, sometimes by friends of mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.