News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kenton County KY won't accept responsibility for its ROADS

Started by bandit957, March 26, 2014, 03:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Here's an article about a county with a completely broken, hapless, incompetent government that won't take responsibility for its roads...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/northern-ky/2014/03/25/latonia-lakes-garbage-roads-kenton-county/6897967

A few comments: The "private" roads in that neighborhood are actually public. I checked a map on a local website to confirm that they are indeed public roads.

It's an average-income neighborhood where the roads have practically deteriorated beyond all hope because the county won't maintain them.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

I'm coming from a different perspective (Illinois).

Do the counties in Kentucky take care of all roads outside municipalities and those that are state-maintained?  I know that in Illinois, such roads are the responsibility of the township if they are not county highways.  Most streets like this would be considered township roads in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on March 26, 2014, 10:12:26 AM
Do the counties in Kentucky take care of all roads outside municipalities and those that are state-maintained?

As long as it's a public road, then probably yes (except in a national park or other federal jurisdiction). Kentucky doesn't have anything like townships that are actually functioning.

hbelkins

From reading the story, it appears that residents were told back when they voted to dissolve the city that the county would not be responsible, and was not legally responsible, for maintaining the roads, yet they went ahead and dissolved their city anyway.

Just because a road shows up on a map doesn't mean it's a public road. And there is a difference between a privately-owned road that is open for public use, and a road that is owned by the public (i.e., a government agency).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

The street name signage looks county, but it could be because of E911 regulations. That said, these do not show up as county maintained roads on their logs. It appears that when they voted to dissolve their city, they knew that their roadway system would need to be upgraded to minimum county standards. Were they under the assumption that it would just happen?

vdeane

Why would a public road become private just because the city was dissolved?  Why didn't Kenton County just grandfather them in?  New York may have many layers of bureaucracy, but at least here you know that somebody owns the road no matter what!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2014, 12:57:00 PM
From reading the story, it appears that residents were told back when they voted to dissolve the city that the county would not be responsible, and was not legally responsible, for maintaining the roads, yet they went ahead and dissolved their city anyway.

Some of the residents said they never got to vote on that, because the county gave them a ballot for Covington instead of Latonia Lakes.

iBallasticwolf2

Kenton county roads are well maintained... I live in Kenton county near a less than 10 year bypass of my local town. Both the original and new roads are in pretty good shape
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.