News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New portion of US 62/68 opens in KY

Started by hbelkins, December 20, 2012, 02:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

US 62 in general is a fairly slow route through central Kentucky and Ohio. US 68, on the other hand, has been substantially improved in Kentucky and Ohio on new alignments. It makes sense that US 62 is routed through downtown Maysville - but Business US 68? I see no point in that. Just do what has been done elsewhere - US 68X.

NE2

In Kentucky, US 68X is US 68 Business.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2013, 02:30:23 PM
In Kentucky, US 68X is US 68 Business.

There is actually a milemarker with a "62X" plate above it somewhere along the route. I saw it yesterday.

Those US 31EX signs have to be an anomaly, as the only other place I've actually seen a "xxX" route marker is for KY 15X in Whitesburg, and that was a contractor installation.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

KY 8X is signed for the Carl D. Perkins Bridge approach as well.

hbelkins

That's a new one on me. Might have to add it to the meet tour.  :-D

That really should be 8S, since the route's officially known as KY 8 Spur.

seicer

Drove the new alignment for US 68 today. Here are my text notes, photos coming soon:

a. Took AA SB to US 68 SB, which is a sharp ramp. If this bypass will be part of the AA Highway's limited-access bypass around Maysville, this right-turn ramp will prove to be inadequate.
b. The four-lane US 68 ends just south of the AA. The four-lane segment has what seems to be 10' right shoulder and a 4' left shoulder, with a grassy 40' median. It transitions to two-lanes on a four-lane right-of-way with 4' shoulders and gravel berms. There are "DIVIDED HIGHWAY ENDS," etc. signage in place.
c. The bridge for US 62, which spans US 68, has no connection and is built for eventual four lane widening of US 68.
d. US 68 ends at US 68 Business just south of Washington. There are some wooden poles supporting caution lights.

In general, signage is improving in this district - and in northern and central Kentucky. I'm not sure if there are new standards that are being enforced, but it's much nicer. On US 68's bypass and westward on the AA, there are larger regulatory and caution signs on more sturdy posts, some embedded in concrete. I wish that more interstate-style guide signs are used, but it's a start. Around Lexington, and throughout - e.g. US 27/68 bypass of Paris, US 68 south of Lexington, US 27 in Garrard/Jessamine counties, larger, more permanent signage is used.

That's in contrast to the malady of signs I found while traveling in southeastern Kentucky last weekend!

hbelkins

District 9 has really done a good job with its signage in recent years. In contrast, our district has been engaged in what they call "inventory reduction" and I think the result is much poorer route signage.

hbelkins

Add another listing to Steve's "I hate it when roads are named after people who are still alive."

This route is going to be dedicated as the Heather French Henry Highway tomorrow. She is a former Miss America who grew up in Maysville and married former Lt. Gov. Steve Henry while he was still in office.

seicer

Seriously? WTF. Can we remove her gaudy signs on the AA Highway already? No one cares about the capitalistic and horrific pageants and whorehouses that includes Miss America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.