News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: US71 on October 30, 2011, 09:57:24 AM
US 41 got mention on Whad Ya Know: something about an archaeological dig in the way of an upgrade to I-43?

No idea, but I-43 ends at US 41 in the Green Bay area and WisDOT is finalizing plans for a major upgrade to the interchange.

Mike

mgk920

(cues: Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Chorus from Handel's 'Messiah')

No article links handy, but WisDOT has just completed and opened all six lanes on US 41 from the south end of the project (just south of WI 26) to just south of WI 21 in Oshkosh.

See:
http://www.511wi.gov/Web/Cameras.aspx?countyfilter=Winnebago
especially the cameras for US 41 at WI 26, WI 44 and 9th Ave.

:hyper:

:cheers:

Mike

Jordanah1

the girders for the flyover ramp at US41/US45 are almost done. last i saw, they stretched across the last collumn. with the only remaining stretch being to the approach of the flyover. they were also preparing to pour jersey barriers, curbs, and more retaining wall on the approach. ill try to get some pictures tomorow
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Jordanah1

i was lucky enough to be there when they were lifting the last girder into place.
before

after

here is the link to the rest of the album
http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/jordanah1/us45%20interchange%203/

Duke87

It would seem as though as things stand the plan for the northern end of the I-41(or whatever) designation is at the interchange that's also the north end of I-43 in Green Bay.

This... kinda bothers me. First of all, you have two interstates ending at the same spot, which is silly. Second, you have perfectly good freeway continuing further north that will be seemingly arbitrarily left off the designation, which is even sillier.
The north end of I-41 should be at the 41/141 split near Abrams. You know, the end of the freeway, where one might logically expect an interstate designation to end.

Also, WI 172 = I-241 or I-243 and WI 441 = I-441 (yeah, yeah, getting fictional here, I know...).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Jordanah1

i thought that WI172 should be I x41 aswell, probley I 241, if WI 441 in the fox cities would be I 441. i think that I the interstate designation should end at I43, untill perhaps if a freeway on US41 gets extended all the way to I75 thrn it could terminate there. otherwise besides the fact that it technicaly could end at the abrams split, there is no reason that the fed government should commit to another 20 or so miles of interstate highway.

hobsini2

Quote from: Jordanah1 on December 30, 2011, 08:36:53 PM
i thought that WI172 should be I x41 aswell, probley I 241, if WI 441 in the fox cities would be I 441. i think that I the interstate designation should end at I43, untill perhaps if a freeway on US41 gets extended all the way to I75 thrn it could terminate there. otherwise besides the fact that it technicaly could end at the abrams split, there is no reason that the fed government should commit to another 20 or so miles of interstate highway.
Actually I doubt that WI 172 freeway becomes I-241 for the simple reason that Wisconsin does not like to duplicate numbers on the highway system with one exception. There is no WI 43, 90, or 94 for this reason. WI 39 is in exsistance because it predates I-39 and is far enough away from I-39 to not be confused with it. WI 241 already exists in Milwaukee for 27th St.  If anything, more likely to be I-641 or I-443.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

If 172 was going to be a 3di - it would have been x43 a long time ago.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Oh cool beans!
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/neregion/41/index.htm

I was going to post some crap about this 3di dreaming (I'm definitely pro-I-441 & I-243), but this is way more interesting:

QuoteInstallation of Interstate signs anticipated to start in 2014

Interestingly, no number is referred to anywhere.  Just the phrase "Study route designation alternatives" as an ongoing aspect.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Jordanah1

oh...that is cool beans...it is supposed to be from the mitchel interchange, so im guessing numberwise, that is ruling out I57/I55.....
im sure its been talked about before, but why havent(or have they) considered if designating it I41, extend its designation all the way to Chicagoland, giving I94 north-south a proper N-S designation?

mgk920

Quote from: Jordanah1 on January 04, 2012, 09:42:35 PM
oh...that is cool beans...it is supposed to be from the mitchel interchange, so im guessing numberwise, that is ruling out I57/I55.....
im sure its been talked about before, but why havent(or have they) considered if designating it I41, extend its designation all the way to Chicagoland, giving I94 north-south a proper N-S designation?

55 or 57 would fit right in to the Mitchell interchange, especially if one of those numbers is extended northward from Chicago.  Either would give I-94 a proper 'north-south' route number, too (I-94 is signed as 'east-west' between Chicago and Milwaukee).

BTW, the numbers being proposed to AASHTO by WisDOT are '41', '55', '57' and '243'.

Mike

Alps

I didn't consider I-243, but that seems like a nice option, since US 41 and I-43 connect the same two cities.

Revive 755

Quote from: mgk920 on January 04, 2012, 10:34:32 PM
BTW, the numbers being proposed to AASHTO by WisDOT are '41', '55', '57' and '243'.

Mike

There isn't a list of AASHTO voting members out there perhaps, so I can do some lobbying for a particular number?  :sombrero:

hobsini2

Quote from: The Situation™ on January 05, 2012, 09:05:21 PM
I didn't consider I-243, but that seems like a nice option, since US 41 and I-43 connect the same two cities.
One problem with making 172 as I-243. State Hwy 243 already exists by Osceola (admittedly small and on the other side of the state) and WI does not like to make duplicate routes.
More likely as I-443 if going to be a x43.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 05, 2012, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: The Situation™ on January 05, 2012, 09:05:21 PM
One problem with making 172 as I-243. State Hwy 243 already exists by Osceola (admittedly small and on the other side of the state) and WI does not like to make duplicate routes.
More likely as I-443 if going to be a x43.

I-39 and Wis-39, anyone?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Jordanah1

55 or 57 would fit right in to the Mitchell interchange, especially if one of those numbers is extended northward from Chicago.  Either would give I-94 a proper 'north-south' route number, too (I-94 is signed as 'east-west' between Chicago and Milwaukee).

Mike
what i was refering to is that they were planning to start signing of the Ixx from the mitchel interchange to the north, suggesting that it wouldn't be I55 or I57 because they would also at the same time have ro sign it to the south of the mitchel interchange, it doesnt make sense to have I55 or  I57 terminate in chicago, while a new stretch is signed 50 miles to the north in Milwaukee with no signs in between....i think one indication of the p[ossible identity of our Ixx is the fact that as far as i know, illinois has no plans to do signing of any new interstates within the state....my origional statement was i think misunderstood.

Brandon

^^ I-57 would work better, however, than I-55.  I-55 would require one lane ramps to get onto the Ryan or the Tri-State (or I-355 for that matter).  I-57 has a ready-made Merge (and Split) with I-94.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tchafe1978

One question I have, since the new interstate designation will start at the Mitchell Interchange, is what will happen to the current routing of US 41 along Appleton Ave. and the Stadium North Freeway in Milwaukee? Will US 41 move entirely onto the new interstate routing as well? Or will it stay on its present routing? If US 41 is rerouted, will the current routing be renumbered as a state highway? If it is, it would make for a perfect extension of WIS 341, which is currently unsigned along Miller Park Way.

mgk920

Quote from: Jordanah1 on January 06, 2012, 04:24:30 PM

55 or 57 would fit right in to the Mitchell interchange, especially if one of those numbers is extended northward from Chicago.  Either would give I-94 a proper 'north-south' route number, too (I-94 is signed as 'east-west' between Chicago and Milwaukee).

Mike
what i was refering to is that they were planning to start signing of the Ixx from the mitchel interchange to the north, suggesting that it wouldn't be I55 or I57 because they would also at the same time have ro sign it to the south of the mitchel interchange, it doesnt make sense to have I55 or  I57 terminate in chicago, while a new stretch is signed 50 miles to the north in Milwaukee with no signs in between....i think one indication of the p[ossible identity of our Ixx is the fact that as far as i know, illinois has no plans to do signing of any new interstates within the state....my origional statement was i think misunderstood.

How long did it take for IDOT and the ISTHA to post I-39 signs north of the Cherry Valley I-90 interchange after WisDOT marked their part?

Mike

Post Merge: January 08, 2012, 07:42:03 AM

Quote from: tchafe1978 on January 06, 2012, 10:00:24 PM
One question I have, since the new interstate designation will start at the Mitchell Interchange, is what will happen to the current routing of US 41 along Appleton Ave. and the Stadium North Freeway in Milwaukee? Will US 41 move entirely onto the new interstate routing as well? Or will it stay on its present routing? If US 41 is rerouted, will the current routing be renumbered as a state highway? If it is, it would make for a perfect extension of WIS 341, which is currently unsigned along Miller Park Way.

For many years I have been trying to prod WisDOT into marking US 41 to follow the logical routing through Milwaukee County (I-94 -> I-894 -> US 45).  Under that, Appleton Ave and the Stadium Freeway/Miller Park Way would be a natural for a southward extension of WI 175.

Mike

hobsini2

Brandon, I didn't forget about I-39 and Wis 39 both existing. But that was also a case where the state highway existed long before the interstate route. But that is the only exception currently to the duplication rule in Wisconsin.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2012, 01:05:24 AM
Brandon, I didn't forget about I-39 and Wis 39 both existing. But that was also a case where the state highway existed long before the interstate route. But that is the only exception currently to the duplication rule in Wisconsin.
Well we also have I-794 and WI 794, but that's slightly different since they are connected.
I personally don't give a crap about duplicating route numbers. No one's going to mistake a freeway in Green Bay for a bridge to Minnesota, in this case.

I'm curious as to whether or not the new interstate will spell the end of I-894.  It seems pretty logical to me to get rid of 894 thus giving us continuity and eliminating a potential useless duplex.  It's certainly something I'd bring up at a future PIM.
If they do ditch 894, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a sign or two.  ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

While I realize that I-57 would make the most sense coming from the Chicago area, I would assume that it would require a renumbering of WI-57 simply because it is the same number, essentially connecting the same two cities.

What I think they should do is number it I-41 from the Mitchell Interchange north...extending WI-175 south through Milwaukee to the Stadium interchange, and then simply have US-41 unsigned throughout Wisconsin until north of Green Bay.  It's been known for years as "Highway 41"...just keep it that way.

mgk920

Impressive 'after' view of NB US 41 at Mason St in Green Bay, looking north:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=352312674796237&set=a.290084707685701.85975.139159859444854&type=1&ref=nf

:wow:

Enjoy!

Mike

hobsini2

Quote from: mgk920 on January 18, 2012, 03:20:57 PM
Impressive 'after' view of NB US 41 at Mason St in Green Bay, looking north:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=352312674796237&set=a.290084707685701.85975.139159859444854&type=1&ref=nf

:wow:

Enjoy!

Mike

It certainly looks cool but i have one gripe with the signage. 41 North should still have a control city on it say Oconto, Marinette, or Marquette MI. I hope 41 south at the least will have Appleton or Oshkosh with the new signage.

Jordanah1

i could be COMPLEATLY wrong, but i think the only control cities are green bay and milwaukee...and im sure chicago in the millwaukee area....there are new electronic signs...and mabey they will have times to city X on them...but i dont think any other signs do...this is from what i have seen in renderings...and a few signs up here in Oshkosh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.