News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Commercials that are popular that you ignore

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2014, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

We have many businesses with many forms of ads that are either in print, on TV, the radio, or even internet.  Most are popular with fans, but some are so popular you began to hate them and turn the old dial or flick on something else.

What commercials that are so popular that become annoying to you personally that you cannot watch or even listen to that you simply change the channel or turn the on/ off switch to the off position?  For me I have to say certain law ads, especially John Morgan here in Orlando who I think is a man who wants to run for political office in some capacity, but instead uses his annoying commercials to get his ideals heard.  Of course, the Bar Associations no more disbar lawyers anymore for advertising as just thirty years ago no lawyer would have a license if he even did what they do now, but because of change in morals we have them now abundantly.

Morgan & Morgan, a typical lawyer in Florida and Georgia, who has commercials  that are heard almost everyplace in many Florida cities on every radio station (except Z88 in Orlando only because they are listener supported), TV stations, and even highway billboards with his radio ads directed at his personal feelings against local politicians or lawmakers which makes me conclude he is a flunky politician.  However, once in a while his ads can be quite annoying and you can easily turn them off out of weariness especially if you are in bad mood at the time being he has a deep mono tone voice that hits the spot on occasions.  Yes, John Morgan himself is the spokesperson for his firm occasionally done by his wife, sons, and even ex Florida governor Charlie Crist a few times, but mostly by Morgan himself.

That is one of mine, but this thread is to any type of business as there are many that we feel are annoying and "played out" or even old before they're a week old.  It does not have to be one your turn off either, it could be one that is too played that you gossip about later on to others and bug your friends with you bringing up the contents of the ad to them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

I ignore Xfinity / Verizon / DirecTV / Comcast / FiOS.

Also, whenever I hear a Mucinex commercial, I say this along with it (but I reverse what the commercial says):
"Mucus in. Mucinex out."
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

They make no effort to be creative.  Why do we have to wait for the super bowl?  Use comedy or something interesting. I hate flo and that gecko but at least they tried something that worked for them.  I hate boring commercials so much!!!

SP Cook

I pretty much record everything and FF through commercials.  If I have to watch stuff live, the ones that irritate me are the trial lawyers, who are all slime; democrat politicians, who, at least in WV and KY seem to disagree with everything their party believes  :-/  ,and cable companies (suddenlink and comcast around here) who have nothing to say but "dishes are bad" without saying why (I guess "more channels, perfect picture, perfect sound, no service calls ever needed" is somehow "bad").

Urban Prairie Schooner

Any TV advertisement promoting a trial lawyer. They must be the last repository of the commercial jingle on television. Unfortunately the BR media market is saturated with them.

Jardine

We get quite a few medical center, hospital, and health care ads.  Seems like most hospital admissions are whichever is closest for the ambulance, or a referral from your physician.  So what's the point in spending boocoo bucks on commercials ?

We are also, unfortunately, getting a build up of political ads for the primary.  One in particular is especially galling, 49 out of 50 State Attorneys General (I think the 50th was dealing with being indicted for malfeasance) thought one of this bozos legislative proposals was particularly stooopid.  (allowing spam calls on cell phones!, and he is still put out his plan was shot down in flames)  And this idjit is deemed a viable candidate.  And he probably is.

Grrrr.

Katavia

It's not necessarily popular, but The Weather Channel did a spoof of the DirectTv commercials to try to get DTV subscribers to switch to Dish or a similar satellite tv provider, because DTV cancelled TWC's broadcasting for DTV subscribers.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

1995hoo

I don't really have any sense for what commercials are popular or unpopular.

I know I pretty much hate all GEICO and Progressive ads, especially that stupid GEICO pig. I used to hate Luna's annoying jingle, but by now I've heard it so many times I'm kind of immune to it (it's a sad commentary on modern America that I do not know what my wife's work phone number is unless I look it up, but I could tell you Luna's phone number off the top of my head without even thinking about it).

The commercial I like right now (for some inexplicable reason) is the one with the people around the world riding in cars singing along with the radio and someone else in the car changes the channel to stop the singing. For some reason the way the black guy at the end changes it back and starts singing along again always makes us laugh.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

^^ So, does Luna have you dialing the 773 area code (Chicago - non-Loop) in the DC area?  Interestingly enough, they are owned by Empire of 588-2300 fame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on February 13, 2014, 02:40:06 PM
^^ So, does Luna have you dialing the 773 area code (Chicago - non-Loop) in the DC area?  Interestingly enough, they are owned by Empire of 588-2300 fame.

At least out here in the DC area, the Luna number (burned into my brain, too) is 877-241-LUNA.  Not sure where 773 comes in. 

I like some of the Geico commercials, at least if they're without the Geico gecko or worse still Maxwell the pig.  But I can't stand Flo in the Progressive commercials.  And Aaron Rodgers in the "discount daaable-check" State Farm ads has passed his sell-by date (I say that as both a Packers fan and State Farm policyholder). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

I don't know what Luna is.  google was not helpful.

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

agentsteel53

huh.  never heard of 'em.

then again I haven't watched a TV commercial in years.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I think a thread on "commercials you actually don't ignore" would be more fruitful.

Brandon

Quote from: oscar on February 13, 2014, 02:55:44 PM

At least out here in the DC area, the Luna number (burned into my brain, too) is 877-241-LUNA.  Not sure where 773 comes in. 

Here, Luna is 773-202-LUNA with a jingle to boot.

The Chicagoland commercial (with jingle at end):

Never heard of the 877 number for them.  Must be their national number.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEK Inc.

I pay for cable, but I don't watch cable TV. 
Take the road less traveled.

texaskdog

I like the one with the kid who gets his team together with the kid wrestling the bear and the kids weightlifting.  The State Farm commercials with the new boyfriend and girlfriend were pretty good too.

Pete from Boston

The ones in the phone book with the line drawing of your grandmother that read, "Show them you care -- visit them by telephone."

74/171FAN

On the radio there was Heritage for the Blind, which wanted you to donate your car via the number/jingle "1-800-DONATECARS".  In fact, I heard it so often I have the entire jingle memorized.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hotdogPi

Some of these don't exist anymore.

Internet:
"Learn how to have your language professor hate you in 10 days!"
"1 weird tip to cut down on belly fat [picture of banana]"
"Congratulations, you are the 8675309th visitor! Click here for a FREE* iPad!"
"Your flash player is not working" (that one is a virus)
"Are you getting SCROOGLED?"

DO NOT click the fake flash player ads. They are viruses.

TV:
Only $20 for a huge gold Buffalo nickel. (Real ones exist and are worth around $1337. This one is fake and only has 13 milligrams of gold.)

Radio:
How many of you hate this one:
1-877-KARS-4-KIDS

*if you pay $10000
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

andrewkbrown

1-877-Kars-4-Kids.

I must change the radio channel whenever I hear the jingle intro, prior to the actual singing.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

briantroutman

Maybe I'm living in the apocryphal Pauline Kael quote ("I don't know how Nixon won..." ), but how many people are still watching TV? Personally, I haven't had TV service in a decade. And the only people I know who do watch regular, scheduled broadcast or cable TV are in or approaching the Medicare age bracket–and usually Pat Sajak or Alex Trebek is involved.

Molandfreak

Quote from: andrewkbrown on February 13, 2014, 07:48:51 PM
1-877-Kars-4-Kids.
Now I won't be able to get that jingle out of my head!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The geico ones with the annoying camel.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on February 13, 2014, 04:21:11 PM
Quote from: oscar on February 13, 2014, 02:55:44 PM

Here, Luna is 773-202-LUNA with a jingle to boot.

The Chicagoland commercial (with jingle at end):

Never heard of the 877 number for them.  Must be their national number.

That one is by far the worst, though here it airs with the 877-241-LUNA number. I'd comment on that particular ad except I'm not sure how the moderators would react to what I'd call the "husband" (another term for a bundle of sticks).

The 877- jingle is exactly the same as the 773- one.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.