News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Commercials that are popular that you ignore

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2014, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2014, 09:08:20 PM
That one is by far the worst, though here it airs with the 877-241-LUNA number. I'd comment on that particular ad except I'm not sure how the moderators would react to what I'd call the "husband" (another term for a bundle of sticks).

A lot of local ads are not good.  Ever see Eagleman?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Can't say as I have. When I said "the worst," I meant "the worst of the Luna ads." The worst ads I ever saw were the Joe Jacoby ads for Theatervision (cpzilliacus likely recalls those). Unfortunately, nobody I know can find any of them anywhere online. Hard to believe how bad they were!

BTW....the following ad is totally fake, but totally best ever. It fits Maryland perfectly, too.

Posting solely as a link because there is a lot of NWS language.....you have been warned....

http://youtu.be/4sZuN0xXWLc
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

I guess we all need to go to Spatula City.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2014, 09:08:20 PMThat one is by far the worst, though here it airs with the 877-241-LUNA number. I'd comment on that particular ad except I'm not sure how the moderators would react to what I'd call the "husband" (another term for a bundle of sticks).

not well.  the fact that you have the desire to call anyone at all a bundle-of-sticks speaks worse of you than of any cartoon character in any ad.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2014, 07:45:43 PM
Only $20 for a huge gold Buffalo nickel. (Real ones exist and are worth around $1337. This one is fake and only has 13 milligrams of gold.)

there are no "real" buffalo nickels, in the sense that the US government issued them.

there may be some with real gold in them.  I have no idea.  I don't think they'd be worth much more than the melt value.

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

They have the buffalo nickel design on them, and that's why I called them that. I believe the real gold ones (one ounce) say "fifty dollars".

But the ones in the commercial have milligrams, not one ounce.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Pete from Boston

Most of what I watch is MeTV, Cosi, this™, and the like, so the ads I see are for life insurance, medical aids, lawyers looking to represent sick retirees, and predatory reverse mortgage schemes.  I am way too young for any of them, but the caliber of washed-up actors is high so I keep watching. 

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 13, 2014, 10:11:25 PM
there are no "real" buffalo nickels, in the sense that the US government issued them.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

DaBigE

- Insurance companies* in general -- especially GEICO and Progressive...Flo and the pig can't go off the air soon enough
- Any and all local car dealers
- Any and all bottom-feeders...ahem, trial lawyers
- ASPCA ads around the holidays
- That damned Toaster Strudel commercial with the kid and the horrible German/Swedish/Danish fake accent.  :banghead:

* As a Packer fan, I do enjoy the State Farm discount daa-ble checks. :)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

agentsteel53

how about commercials for the station itself?  we're already watching, but you're really risking it.

also, I don't generally care about insurance companies, but I do note how frequent they are.  almost as frequent as food and beer.  I buy food and beer regularly.  I haven't changed my insurance company in years.

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

The thing I find hard to believe about the Progressive ads is that a friend of mine actually thinks Flo is hot.

I guess there's no accounting for taste....

BTW, regarding agentsteel53's comment about the frequency of insurance ads, I've thought several times recently that GEICO is the new McDonald's. Recall how in the 1970s/1980s McDonald's advertised constantly to the point where some of their jingles were pretty much ubiquitous (e.g., "You deserve a break today" or the Big Mac jingle). I don't see nearly as many McDonald's ads as I used to, and it seems like GEICO ads have taken their place in terms of frequency.

agentsteel53

could be worse; apparently there's an entire underground industry depicting the Esurance cartoon woman in less than family-friendly scenarios!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/esurance-axes-erin-after-the-secret-agent-took-on-an-x-rated-life-of-her-own/

(probably work-safe though you may get a "the Hell is wrong with people!?" from your boss.)

jake@aaroads.com

DaBigE

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 14, 2014, 10:38:31 AM
The thing I find hard to believe about the Progressive ads is that a friend of mine actually thinks Flo is hot.

Does he think that way all the time or only when under the influence? I can find her attractive...until I sober up :cheers:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

1995hoo

Quote from: DaBigE on February 14, 2014, 11:03:23 AM

Does he think that way all the time or only when under the influence? I can find her attractive...until I sober up :cheers:

Heh. I assume he was sober. Haven't seen him drunk in years, although that time was quite the legendary episode as he was somehow unable to find Scott Stadium for a Thursday night football game due to having consumed so much at our tailgate!

elsmere241

If you've seen a picture of Stephanie Courtney without all that makeup . . .

texaskdog

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 14, 2014, 12:18:17 PM

If you've seen a picture of Stephanie Courtney without all that makeup . . .

Flo is ungodly ugly.  I thought that was her gimmick.

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on February 14, 2014, 03:24:49 PM
ungodly ugly

I think that exaggerates it just a bit.  the makeup is a bit over-the-top, yes, but - both with and without makeup - she's basically average looking. 

"ungodly ugly" can be reserved for the Brian Peppers types of the world.

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 14, 2014, 03:28:46 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 14, 2014, 03:24:49 PM
ungodly ugly

I think that exaggerates it just a bit.  the makeup is a bit over-the-top, yes, but - both with and without makeup - she's basically average looking. 

"ungodly ugly" can be reserved for the Brian Peppers types of the world.

She an average looking woman they make look ugly, like Amy on Big Bang Theory.

Alps

How about Wendy? Now that's better! I'd do what tastes right. Tastes great, open late.
(More commercials should use redheads. All of them, really.)

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on February 14, 2014, 06:07:02 PM
How about Wendy? Now that's better! I'd do what tastes right. Tastes great, open late.
(More commercials should use redheads. All of them, really.)

You're not flying Delta enough.

Takumi

You know she's not really a redhead, right?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

I am a redhead. Does that mean I should appear in a commercial?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on February 14, 2014, 08:25:42 PM

Wendy or Deltalina? ...doesn't really matter, honestly.

Never seen these Luna ads; even though I travel, I don't watch much TV. I do tend to pay attention to vehicle ads (oh,  the new car/truck/SUV is out) and get a chuckle out of pharmaceutical ads, waiting to see of the side-effect is worse than the ailment.

SP Cook

Quote from: Jardine on February 13, 2014, 01:27:06 PM
We get quite a few medical center, hospital, and health care ads.  Seems like most hospital admissions are whichever is closest for the ambulance, or a referral from your physician.  So what's the point in spending boocoo bucks on commercials ?

I never thought of that, but that is an excelent point.  We got a lot of those, between 10 or 15 hospitals (my TV market is geographically large and lacks a true core city).  All the same, more or less.  People go where the ambulance takes them or wherever their "gatekeeper" GP tells them to go.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on February 15, 2014, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 14, 2014, 08:25:42 PM

Wendy or Deltalina? ...doesn't really matter, honestly.
Wendy. The actress who plays her is naturally blonde. (Strawberry blonde, but still...)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.