News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speaking languages other than English

Started by national highway 1, December 10, 2014, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

English (native), decent Italian from having lived there for two years - trouble finishing sentences without a dictionary, though.

vdeane

Pretty much just English, at least as far as languages I can actually use.  I took Spanish in high school, but don't remember enough to do anything with it.  I know a rather small amount of French from a combination of driving in Quebec and being an Alizée fangirl in high school, but not enough to be functional beyond reading road signs.  I also picked up the odd word/phrase of Japanese (such as "in the name of the moon I shall punish you") due to watching way too much Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

As for languages I want to learn, I wish I knew French, and Russian intrigues me for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

I took a semester of Russian.  I would imagine it could put one off learning languages forever if it was the first second language one attempted.

JakeFromNewEngland

I learned Spanish in elementary and middle school and know a decent amount. I recently started taking Latin this year.

kkt

I took Spanish in high school, but I don't remember enough to have a conversation.  With the aid of a dictionary, I can make out the romance languages and German in writing, but not fast enough to speak.

pumpkineater2

Come ride with me to the distant shore...

jwolfer

Laura

I took French in high school and undergrad (and even got to use it in Quebec when I was 19) but have lost the majority of it from years of not speaking it. I was never fully fluent, but I did write and illustrate a storybook in French in my senior year of high school, so there's that. (I need to find it.)

iPhone

cpzilliacus

Quote from: riiga on December 11, 2014, 11:09:35 AM
Swedish is my native language, so I speak it fluently. I can also understand Norwegian and Danish. Apart from that I still remember a bit of my school French, but it's getting worse by the year.

I can read Norwegian and Danish pretty well.  I understand spoken Norwegian reasonably well, but have a pretty tough time with spoken Danish.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vtk

Quote from: Laura on December 12, 2014, 08:03:02 PM
I took French in high school and undergrad (and even got to use it in Quebec when I was 19) but have lost the majority of it from years of not speaking it. I was never fully fluent, but I did write and illustrate a storybook in French in my senior year of high school, so there's that. (I need to find it.)

That sounds a lot like me and Spanish.  I also wrote and illustrated a storybook, El Autopista.  How I managed to get so far thinking "autopista" is a masculine noun is a mystery.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadrunner75

Thanks to Sesame Street, I can count to 10 in Spanish.  I can confidently order combination "cinco" at my local Mexican restaurant, getting eyes to roll in the process.

Four years of high school German didn't get me anywhere either.

CNGL-Leudimin

English is only a second language for me. My native language is Spanish from Spain, which is different from what is spoken in The Americas. I can also speak Catalan, which I haven't spoke for a long time due to that independence thing, and some French. I can also understand Portuguese and Italian.

Quote from: vtk on December 13, 2014, 06:33:56 AM
That sounds a lot like me and Spanish.  I also wrote and illustrated a storybook, El Autopista.  How I managed to get so far thinking "autopista" is a masculine noun is a mystery.

Which is wrong, 'autopista' is feminine (La autopista).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Desert Man

My native language is American English from southern CA, also knows a good amount of Spanish I picked up, and some French I've learned from my French-born father and HS French class. I know a few Cherokee and Osage words like "O-si-yo" (hello) and "Wa-do" (thanks) which are Cherokee from my maternal grandfather who is part-American Indian from OK. I like to learn different languages which can be useful in world travels and business opportunities. I had a few relatives in northern France who spoke Flemish, a variant language of Dutch spoken in northern Belgium and nearby towns in France historically a part of the Flanders region.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

kphoger

My second language is Spanish, the Mexican variety. I used to use it daily a lot more than I do now. Back then, I had roommates and coworkers from Latin America; now, I have occasional, brief conversations with customers by phone, and they're all about cable.

I once spent ten minutes trying to figure out what language some tourists were speaking at a hot tub in Utah, then realized they were from New Zealand speaking English. I once spent fifteen minutes on Chicago's L trying to figure out what language the folks in front of me were speaking; they were from Asturias and had been speaking Spanish the whole time.

I can pronounce many written languages but don't understand the meaning of the words... including Polish, Russian, and Greek. I used to have the Arabic alphabet memorized, but I forgot it shortly thereafter.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.