News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Misheard song lyrics

Started by golden eagle, December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0n4WXHQqBo

Uptown Funk has some misheard stuff even though its really Funk you can mistake it for Uptown Fuck in some parts.

bandit957

Quote from: bing101 on February 08, 2015, 09:53:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0n4WXHQqBo

Uptown Funk has some misheard stuff even though its really Funk you can mistake it for Uptown Fuck in some parts.

I worked at the college radio station when I was in college, and this was in the era of the song "Get The Funk Out" by Extreme. One day, somebody called the station to complain because they thought the song was "Get The Fuck Out". One of our station managers argued with the person on the phone about it for about a half-hour.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brian556

In Taylor Swift's new song "Blank Space", according to AZLYRICS.com, it says "Got a long list of ex-lovers". I swear it sounds like she's saying "come on you Starbucks lovers".

Logically, I thought, no, she's saying "star-crossed lovers", because that saying would fit well with the theme of the song and video, so I was surprised by what azlyrics.com said it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

hbelkins

Saw a replay of the Grammys last night which featured Jeff Lynne of ELO singing their old hit, "Medieval Woman."  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Nature Boy

In Blake Shelton's "Maybe She Wouldn't Be Gone," I keep hearing "All I want to do is fix my Mustang" instead of "All I want to do is fix my mistakes." Totally changes the tone of the song.

bandit957

I remember when I thought Diamond Rio was singing, "It's a long cold swim up against the Kermit."

Brian556

Quote from the nature boy:

QuoteIn Blake Shelton's "Maybe She Wouldn't Be Gone," I keep hearing "All I want to do is fix my Mustang" instead of "All I want to do is fix my mistakes." Totally changes the tone of the song.

Both are understandable sentiments.

Also, if your woman just left, I could understand wanting to work on a car to get your mind off your problems. 

bandit957

I used to think the song "Long Tall Glasses" by Leo Sayer was about eyeglasses.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

The comments about the word "gay" in the General Highway Talk thread about "Things never said by roadgeeks" prompted me to think of this thread. Back when I was in high school, I knew at least five different people who heard "Give Peace a Chance" and thought John Lennon was saying, "Everybody's talking about faggots, faggots..." over and over again. Apparently (this is based on looking up the lyrics online since I can't understand what he's singing either!) he's rattling off a list of "-isms" (bagism, shagism, dragism, who knows what else). But for the past 25+ years, every time I've heard that song I can't help but hear "faggots."

I suppose it's fair to note Lennon used to make fun of Brian Epstein (who was indeed homosexual) by changing "Baby, You're a Rich Man Too" to "Baby, You're a Rich Fag Jew," so the notion of him using the full form of that word isn't totally implausible.

(BTW, I haven't censored this post, and I've worked around the board software, because the word in question isn't being used as a slur, but if the moderators want me to change it, I will.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Thread bump, as I don't know if there has been another newer thread about this or not...

There's a Jonas Brothers song with a line, "dance in the living room." It was on one of the New Year's Eve specials last night. My wife said she and her sister heard it when they were out some time ago and it sounded like "ants in the living room."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I use to think that I wanna hold your hand by The Beatles they were singing I get high instead it was I can't hide.

Buck87

"Rock and Roll Heaven" by the Righteous Brothers

Actual lyric: If you believe in forever
What I thought: If you be leavin' forever

Also, on this topic, when I was a kid our public library had these little books that were nothing but misheard lyrics. Some seemed kinda forced. A few random ones I can still remember: 

"When a Man Loves a Walnut" - Percy Sledge 
"I'm Your Penis" - Shocking Blue
"We Built This City on the Wrong Damn Road" - Starship

Brian556

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 07:01:49 PM
"Rock and Roll Heaven" by the Righteous Brothers

Actual lyric: If you believe in forever
What I thought: If you be leavin' forever

Also, on this topic, when I was a kid our public library had these little books that were nothing but misheard lyrics. Some seemed kinda forced. A few random ones I can still remember: 

"When a Man Loves a Walnut" - Percy Sledge 
"I'm Your Penis" - Shocking Blue
"We Built This City on the Wrong Damn Road" - Starship

I always understood "If you believe in forever,..." "When A Man Loves A Walnut" seems like a stretch to me, then again, I knew Michael Bolton's version first, which probably helped.  When I was in elementary school in the 80's, Bananarama's version of "Venus" was popular. The kids would always sing "I'm your penis" during recess.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 18, 2014, 08:10:12 PM

I knew a fellow who thought "More Than a Feeling" went "I see that derrière walking away." I think I like that better than the real words too.

I thought it was "I see Librarians walking away" until I realized it was "I see Maid Marian walking away".  I don't know the obsession with Robin Hood.

texaskdog

Quote from: bandit957 on February 14, 2015, 11:50:32 PM
I remember when I thought Diamond Rio was singing, "It's a long cold swim up against the Kermit."

For a laugh look at Kermit's video of "Once in a Lifetime"

kphoger

I always sing "Take me down to the prairie dog city, where the grass green and the girls are pretty."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Buck87

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2020, 03:20:55 PM
I always sing "Take me down to the prairie dog city, where the grass green and the girls are pretty."

PHLBOS

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 07:01:49 PM"I'm Your Penis" - Shocking Blue
Nice to know to know that I wasn't the only one who thought that song said that when I was a toddler.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

"I'm your penis!...It's on fire!...You, have perspired!"?  :-D (OK...something like that!)

When I first heard "Sledgehammer" (1986) by Peter Gabriel, I misheard one line. He sings "Show me round your fruit cage". I thought he was saying fruit cake. Not unless the lyrics about sex was for the holidays.  :-P

renegade

Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:43:19 PM

I knew a fellow who thought "More Than a Feeling" went "I see that derrière walking away." I think I like that better than the real words too.

I thought it was "I see Librarians walking away" until I realized it was "I see Maid Marian walking away".  I don't know the obsession with Robin Hood.
You may want to listen to it again.

"I see my Mary Ann walking away."
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

dcharlie

You may have heard of the great Beatles song - Take the Back Right Turn (Paperback Writer) :banghead:  Oh to be a kid again....

texaskdog

Quote from: renegade on January 03, 2020, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:43:19 PM

You may want to listen to it again.

"I see my Mary Ann walking away."

Oops, Gilligan's Island, sorry!

texaskdog

CCR's Bad Moon Rising "There's a Bathroom on the Right".  On Fogerty's new live CD he even sings it once.

texaskdog

Quote from: wxfree on January 17, 2015, 11:33:32 PM
Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
Actual lyrics: a flood of tears That no one really ever heard fall at all
Somehow misheard as: a flood of T&A...

Just like the one winged dove

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.