News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

World of Equal Districts

Started by hotdogPi, February 02, 2015, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

http://worldofequaldistricts.tumblr.com/

The world has been split into areas of 10 million people each. This is NOT my creation. The link has the whole world.

United States (seen on Page 2):

1. Which new state would you live in?
2. What would you rename these states?
3. Assuming that each state gets 14 representatives and 2 senators, which political party would have the majority?
4. Which state or states would be the most corrupt?

My choices for renaming (colors match; most should be fairly obvious which ones they belong to, if not, brackets will be used):

{"Maritimes" took over current Maine}
New England <-- I live here
New York[state, not city]
NYC
Mid-Atlantic
Pennsylvania
Capital District [includes Washington D. C.]
Carolina
Florida
South Florida
Georgia [includes part of Georgia and part of other states]
Appalachians [West Virginia and part of Ohio]
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Central South
Arkansas
Central Midwest
Chicago
Minnesota
Great Plains
Oklahoma
East Texas
West Texas [includes part of Mexico]
New Mexico
Rocky Mountains
Cascadia
California [non-coast section, includes parts of Nevada]
Pacific Coast
Los Angeles
San Diego

México Noroeste ["noroeste" means "northwest"]
Chihuahua
{Part of "West Texas" includes current Mexico, and it would be called "Texas Oeste" in Spanish}
<not continuing the rest of Mexico>

Northern North America [includes Alaska, western Canada, and all of Canada above 60°N]
{Part of "Great Plains" includes a bit of current Canada}
Ontario
Maritimes
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

Would be more useful to split the world into 200+ countries with 32 million or so in each one.
USA-wide, would be more useful to split it up into ~50 states with 6 million in each one.
At the selected scale, there's nothing useful.

oscar

Since the author's stated primary purpose is to illustrate how unevenly the world's population is distributed, ISTM that purpose would be better served with population scattergrams (such as one dot per million people, though that may be too high for low-density areas like most of North America, or too low for high-density areas such as most of China).  That would directly show regions of high and low population density, without getting into how hypothetical districts should be defined, or how much they should disregard existing national and sub-national boundaries.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

I like how Portugal remains intact while my country gets split into 4 districts with the Canaries given to Southern Morocco. I live in the green area that covers most of Northern Spain.

Anyway, if we were to split the world into equal parts, better to do by area :sombrero:. Here is a map with 100 countries of roughly the same area. The US gets split in seven, with Texas given to Northern Mexico.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 03, 2015, 10:17:14 AM
I like how Portugal remains intact while my country gets split into 4 districts with the Canaries given to Southern Morocco. I live in the green area that covers most of Northern Spain.

Anyway, if we were to split the world into equal parts, better to do by area :sombrero:. Here is a map with 100 countries of roughly the same area. The US gets split in seven, with Texas given to Northern Mexico.

Looks like Iran, Niger, Chad, Libya, South Africa, Angola, and maybe Bolivia get to keep their current area in that map. 

algorerhythms

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2015, 02:49:28 PM

The world has been split into areas of 10 million people each. This is NOT my creation. The link has the whole world.

That little yellow thing at the SW corner of Lake Michigan.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Desert Man

Are they new states? nations? or districts of an united world government? I've noticed Los Angeles (county) and southern CA are its' own entities. The CA coast might be the world's most liberal vs. the Central Valley one of the most conservative entities, if there's some kind of political representation in the new USA/NAU (North American Union). I noticed Western Canada is apart, but Quebec (an ethnic French-speaking enclave) is connected with the Atlantic Maritime provinces. And finally New York City-Long Island, except New Jersey-Delaware have their own government. This is designed in regards to population, not by social or cultural means.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

NE2

Quote from: Mike D boy on March 12, 2015, 10:06:52 PM
Are they new states? nations? or districts of an united world government?
Places where Hulkamania will run wild.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2015, 02:49:28 PM

1. Which new state would you live in?
2. What would you rename these states?
3. Assuming that each state gets 14 representatives and 2 senators, which political party would have the majority?

My choices for renaming (colors match; most should be fairly obvious which ones they belong to, if not, brackets will be used):

{"Maritimes" took over current Maine}
New England <-- I live here
New York[state, not city]
NYC
Mid-Atlantic
Pennsylvania
Capital District [includes Washington D. C.]
Carolina
Florida
South Florida
Georgia [includes part of Georgia and part of other states]
Appalachians [West Virginia and part of Ohio]
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Central South
Arkansas
Central Midwest
Chicago
Minnesota
Great Plains
Oklahoma
East Texas
West Texas [includes part of Mexico]
New Mexico
Rocky Mountains
Cascadia
California [non-coast section, includes parts of Nevada]
Pacific Coast
Los Angeles
San Diego

México Noroeste ["noroeste" means "northwest"]
Chihuahua
{Part of "West Texas" includes current Mexico, and it would be called "Texas Oeste" in Spanish}
<not continuing the rest of Mexico>

Northern North America [includes Alaska, western Canada, and all of Canada above 60°N]
{Part of "Great Plains" includes a bit of current Canada}
Ontario
Maritimes

I would go with México Norponiente and Texas Poniente rather than México Noroeste and Texas Oeste, as the former two better reflect the Mexican idiom.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

That big state should probably be Grand Québec (assuming Google Translate didn't do something stupid) rather than maritimes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.