News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

One of a kind radio station song mix

Started by roadman65, February 16, 2015, 06:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing back when WPLJ in NYC was a Rock Station, they managed to do a mix with Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall's Three different parts.  They mixed Parts one, two, and three together as one song which other stations I have never heard do so.

They would play part one, then as the instrumental outro began, would bring in part two, then as the song part of part two (just before the man saying "Come on We're Tricked again" would go into Part three.   Other stations would play either the single version of Part two or play Happiest Days of Our Lives(song preceding it) along with it.  I have not heard WPLJ's mix ever done elsewhere.

Of course, WPLJ also was the only one that did not play Empty Spaces along with Young Lust as many stations do.  They would play the last two lines of Empty Spaces starting with "How should I build the final places, How should I complete the wall" which then blended in with Young Lust as Pink Floyd never had dead air between songs on their recordings as they used to like to run them together.  Sometimes this would cause the DJ to cut the song too early or too late, as some stations feature the sigh at the beginning of Mother when ending Another Brick Part Two.  I am a lover of the song Mother and it is so teasing to hear that sigh which is not the actual end of the previous song played, but the beginning of that particular track.

Any stations past or present who have a song mix that no one else has ever done before?

BTW the PLJ mix did not include the kid screaming and the men hollering in it, as parts 2 and 3 transitioned smoothly.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

In Lady Gaga's "You And I", "Nebraska" is replaced with "Texas" on radio stations in DFW.

spooky

Quote from: Brian556 on February 16, 2015, 08:14:18 PM
In Lady Gaga's "You And I", "Nebraska" is replaced with "Texas" on radio stations in DFW.

Inserting the city name or call letters seemed to be more common in the '80s.

I remember "Hot In The City" by Billy Idol. The last verse builds to a crescendo where the single version exclaims "New York!" Growing up in southern New England, I was treated to both "Providence!" and "Boston!" versions.

The local rock station also inserted their name "94 HJY" into a couple '80s rock songs.

One was "Turn Up The Radio" by Autograph. The chorus says "Turn up the radio, I need the music, gimme some more." The local version inserted 94 HJY for "I need the music". Note this was not just a slogan slapped into the song, it actually sounded like the original singer. I suspect they did countless local versions to get radio play.

"Save Your Love" by Great White was another one. There's a verse that says "I wake from a dream, and find you by my side." Locally it was "I wake from a dream, with 94 HJY." Great White and 94 HJY would be tragically tied together years later when a concert by the band sponspored by 94 HJY ended in a nightclub fire that killed 100 people, including the band's guitarist and the station's own overnight DJ "Dr. Metal".

golden eagle

Quote from: Brian556 on February 16, 2015, 08:14:18 PM

A radio station here has its name inserted into at the beginning on Gaga's first hit "Just Dance".

roadman65

I forgot about those local changes to music where they insert a city name into the song as Z100 in New York when Starship's We Built This City was popular, they inserted the station name Z100 during the first time We Built This City on Rock and roll was sung replacing rock and roll with Z100 to sound:  We built this city on Z100.

Then a friend of mine heard (unfortunately I did not hear it myself) on WPLJ in New York change the line in the song Power Of Love by Huey Lewis that said "Power of love" to "Power 95" as that was the station's nickname at that time that particular song was popular.

Sheryl Crowe

apjung

Back in 1990, "I Wanna Be Rich" by Calloway, instead of "I spend my money on lottery, my favorite number is 1-2-3", B-97 WEZB in New Orleans had the special lyrics "I spend my money on lottery, 97 is the one for me"

roadman65

I noticed that on WMMO in Orlando that they do a terrible job in editing out the "G D" word in The Eagles Life In The Fast Lane.  In fact this is the first time I ever heard that common phrase eliminated from that particular song ever!

WMMO is also a Cox Radio Station, which is one of the big guys and you would figure they would not do something like that, but they do here.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.