News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Band, album, and song name all the same

Started by Pete from Boston, March 01, 2015, 04:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

These music topics are getting too easy.  Let's try something a little harder.

Can you think of a song whose name is the same as both the album it's on and the band itself?  I can think of two off the top of my head —

Tin Machine

Bad Company

But I know there are others. I've noticed them, but can't remember any at the moment.

geocachingpirate

I got close. The song "Yesterday and Today" on Yes' eponymous album.   :nod:
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

J Route Z

Black Sabbath on the Black Sabbath album.

Brandon

"Take Me Back To Chicago" on Chicago XI, by Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

golden eagle

hbelkins

Black Sabbath and Bad Company were the ones I was thinking about first and foremost.

But also Blue Murder, a band most of you have probably never heard of.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

At one time in the 1980s, we had Talk Talk with an album and a given single with the same name. Their later hit was "It's My Life" and Gwen Stefani had her own version of it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 01, 2015, 07:56:02 PM
At one time in the 1980s, we had Talk Talk with an album and a given single with the same name. Their later hit was "It's My Life" and Gwen Stefani had her own version of it.

Oh, so close.  "Talk Talk" (which I didn't know was a song) is on the album The Party's Over.  Lots of bands have an album sharing their name and not a song, but this is a rare anomaly.

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2015, 07:50:24 PM
Black Sabbath and Bad Company were the ones I was thinking about first and foremost.

"They're screaming Blue Murder, I'm scheming toooo survive"

"They call him Billlllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaayy!"
Love John Sykes. He's a big influence on me as a guitarist.

Iron Maiden

Metal Church

A lot of the '80s metal bands started had "announcing songs" where they sang about how much they were going to kick your ass. "Iron Maiden" and "Metal Church" had the same names of the band and LP, but Metallica's "Hit the Lights", Armored Saint's "March of the Saint" (also the name of the record) and Megadeth's "Rattlehead" also accomplished this. All are the spiritual successors to "Black Sabbath". By the late '80s bands stopped doing this.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2015, 07:50:24 PM
I remember Blue Murder - If I recall they had a hit called Jelly Roll or something like that.  I used to be into King's X a long time ago, and I remember going to see a Billy Squier show so I could catch King's X as the opening act, and Blue Murder was the other opener.

Pete from Boston

I have to say, I'm impressed that there are even this many.  But rock is all about hubris, and this phenomenon is hubris at it's best.

usends

Anyone remember the song "Icehouse", by the band Icehouse, on the album Icehouse?
Then there was also Book of Love, same deal.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

dfwmapper

There are more than a few in the punk genre. Bad Religion, Pennywise, Minor Threat, and Meat Puppets were all songs by the band of the same name on the album of the same name. Close but not quite with Green Day's Green Day on 39/Smooth.

hbelkins

roadman65

I know one group where two out of the three is correct.

Big Country with a song called Big Country, however the album did not get the title though.

Usually its the band name and album not the band name and a song.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 05:13:10 PM
I know one group where two out of the three is correct.

Big Country with a song called Big Country, however the album did not get the title though.

Usually its the band name and album not the band name and a song.

Actually it's only one of three, since the song was actually called "In A Big Country".

roadman65

Interesting.  Well I did come close to two out three, anyway.  How often does any part of a band name come into the title in any form.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 05:25:56 PM
Interesting.  Well I did come close to two out three, anyway.  How often does any part of a band name come into the title in any form.

More often than one would think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

The aforementioned "Take Me Back To Chicago" by Chicago.

"Love Theme From Kiss" by Kiss.

Probably plenty of others.

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on March 01, 2015, 07:34:30 PM
"Take Me Back To Chicago" on Chicago XI, by Chicago.
My signature roadtrip song!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

spooky

"My Name is Prince" by Prince.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.