News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How telecommuting killed the snow day

Started by ZLoth, March 06, 2015, 05:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Marketwatch:

How telecommuting killed the snow day
At this writing, Boston is just 1.9 inches away from a record snowfall after the Northeast U.S. was hit with four major snowstorms in a month's time.

The storms have shut down businesses repeatedly, but the recent spate of cancellations has had far less of an economic impact than would have occurred in years past. The reason, which has macroeconomists smiling and everyone else grumbling into their hot chocolates, is simple: Telecommuting has killed the snow day. White-collar workers can now perform many or all of their duties from their snowed-in domiciles. Meanwhile, businesses, many of which have been forced by the weather to experiment with telecommuting for the first time, are paying close attention to whether telecommuters get the job done at home.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

Why do I think a similar article is written every time there's a major event that keeps workers at home?

In today's age, nearly everyone who sits at a desk and works on a computer can work from home.  But businesses prefer to keep their employees at the office.  There's a strong feeling that employees at home tend to goof off a bit more than if they're at the office.  And with an increasing need with keeping computers and information secure - something which is much more easily done on office computers, it's easier to keep that information secure in an office. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.