News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Documentary: "Beyond Siberia - Riding the Road of Bones"

Started by Grzrd, March 09, 2015, 02:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 08, 2014, 09:21:00 PM
I think it'd be interesting to travel the Road of Bones to Magadan, but I'm not crazy or stupid enough actually to think I'd ever do it.
(above quote from Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life thread)

Well, if you want to reconsider, it is now possible to ride a motorcycle from London to Magadan, complete with meals, support and accommodations for the entire trip, with an adventure travel company:

Beyond Siberia — Riding the Road of Bones partly recreates the story of the Long Way Round trip Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman took years ago and which brought them from London to Magadan in Eastern Russia, across the Bering Strait in Alaska and crossing the United States.
The movie is the story of a guided adventure trip under the supervision of Compass Expeditions. The 105-day-long adventure visits 16 countries and 11 time zones, along a 28,500 km (16,500 miles) route from London to Magadan.
Such tours actually exist
But if you believe this is just another bunch of crazy people doing something for the kicks, you should know that Compass Expeditions is actually offering such an adventure as a tourist package. Riders can embark on a bike trip to Magadan for $30,990 (€28,495) if they plan to use their own bikes. If they feel like riding a bike provided by the tour organizer, they must fork out $46,215 (€42,600) and will receive a BMW R1200GS. The price includes meals, support and accommodations for the entire trip. Other bikes can be supplied if the R1200GS is not your fav choice, but you will have to settle for a BMW nevertheless.

Here is a trailer for the movie:

1995hoo

Heh. If I were to go from London to Magadan by road, I'd rather do it in the new Mercedes-Maybach or (more realistically) a Land Rover–something somewhat comfortable. (The Maybach is, by all accounts, insanely comfortable, but it'd never be able to deal with the roads in Siberia and the unavailability of fuel would be a problem too.....but hey, it has an optional refrigerator accessible from the rear seat, so you load it up with booze and let someone else drive!)

Motorcycle.....hell no.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

15 or more years ago on MTR someone shared a link to a photo account of a motorcycle trip across Siberia.  Do these generally follow a common road, or are there multiple long-distance routes?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2015, 10:40:56 PM
Heh. If I were to go from London to Magadan by road, I'd rather do it in the new Mercedes-Maybach or (more realistically) a Land Rover–something somewhat comfortable. (The Maybach is, by all accounts, insanely comfortable, but it'd never be able to deal with the roads in Siberia and the unavailability of fuel would be a problem too.....but hey, it has an optional refrigerator accessible from the rear seat, so you load it up with booze and let someone else drive!)

If I had an unlimited budget, I would want a Mercedes Unimog for that sort of a trip. 

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2015, 10:40:56 PM
Motorcycle.....hell no.

Agreed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.