News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BBC Suspends Jeremy Clarkson, Host of ‘Top Gear,’ After String of Warnings

Started by cpzilliacus, March 11, 2015, 09:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 20, 2015, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 20, 2015, 05:26:09 PM
Seriously.  Hire someone who acts like the oldest 16 year old in the world, and surprise!  he acts like a 16 year old.
It's ludicrous to compare a hit with pedophilia.

I saw images of the aftermath...it was just a busted lip, i've had worse happen with a basketball hitting my face in gym class.

Hell, the presenters have had worse done to them on accident at the producers' request.  May and Clarkson have been thrown off horses and broken ribs for pete's sake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SteveG1988

Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2015, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 20, 2015, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 20, 2015, 05:26:09 PM
Seriously.  Hire someone who acts like the oldest 16 year old in the world, and surprise!  he acts like a 16 year old.
It's ludicrous to compare a hit with pedophilia.

I saw images of the aftermath...it was just a busted lip, i've had worse happen with a basketball hitting my face in gym class.

Hell, the presenters have had worse done to them on accident at the producers' request.  May and Clarkson have been thrown off horses and broken ribs for pete's sake.

And several hits to the plums
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SteveG1988

And also hammond's jet car incident, trying to drive cars full of water around the track, where if they go too fast around a bend it could tip over and drown them, etc.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

GCrites

having them stay in horrible hotel rooms in Africa that were covered in fecal matter

DAL764

Or having them drive the Death Road in Bolivia (including one particular close call for Clarkson where he got very dangerously close to the edge of the road/cliff).

Or having Clarkson drive a truck into a brick wall full force.

Seriously, the producers have made the trio do a whole damn lot of stupid and dangerous stuff, and even they get paid to do it, with some things I'm still surprised they went along with everything and at no point ever said "F U, you can do that yourself".

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cpzilliacus

Quote from: US71 on March 25, 2015, 01:10:07 PM

IMO, big mistake.

AP via WTOP Radio: BBC decides not to renew "˜Top Gear' host Clarkson's contract

QuoteThe BBC decided Wednesday not to renew the contract of "Top Gear"  host Jeremy Clarkson after a fracas with his producer, ending his connection to the immensely popular program built around macho banter, off-color jokes and cars.

QuoteBBC Director-General Tony Hall concluded that Clarkson struck and launched a 30-minute verbal attack on a producer, Oisin Tymon, while they were filming on location, leaving him with a swelling and bloody lip. The producer went to a hospital for treatment.

QuoteHall acknowledged that lifting the presenter of the program "will divide opinion."  But he said a line had been crossed in Clarkson's often controversial behavior – even if he is a big star.

Quote"There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations,"  Hall said.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kkt

How long do you think it'll take before some other British TV network starts producing the show, hiring a producer with thicker skin and/or the ability to get the stars their damn lunch on time?  Or maybe Top Gear US will hire him?

english si

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 25, 2015, 02:13:40 PMIMO, big mistake.
Big mistake financially (but the BBC never care about that - they don't particularly have to, aren't really allowed to, and are proud not to), but ethically they were right.

If they had sacked Clarkson for another political correctness violation (to appease the idiots who don't realise that it's part satire, part court jester, part seeing what he can get away with, part stupidity), then absolutely it was a stupid thing to do.

Certainly Clarkson shouldn't have been on last warning before the fracas. However, the 30 minutes of verbal abuse on its own would have put him there, with the mitigating circumstances of him trying to apologise directly to the producer, and that it was he himself who reported the incident to the BBC that would have saved him from being sacked.

If it was because of a single punch (ignoring the verbal abuse, with it then there's too much to keep him and keep a straight face) then sure, perhaps, just about (John Prescott, footballers, etc get away with it), but it was a 30 second physical attack (after a 30 minute verbal one) that needed intervention to stop. He absolutely needed to be sacked.

Quote from: US71 on March 25, 2015, 01:10:07 PM

Interesting to see that the BBC boycott has begun with the picture of the guy with the dead chipmunk on his head. Jezza's a Brit, and therefore it's this guy who'd say it:

But his version airs on the BBC...

Quote from: kkt on March 25, 2015, 05:28:14 PM
How long do you think it'll take before some other British TV network starts producing the show, hiring a producer with thicker skin and/or the ability to get the stars their damn lunch on time?  Or maybe Top Gear US will hire him?
The other networks have rejected working with him, his career is over unless he goes to the States or something. Which might be hard to do if he gets an assault conviction - difficult to get a Visa. Which is looking likely, given that the police are now stepping in.

english si

Oh, BTW, James May has hinted that he'd be leaving the show, and possibly Richard as well.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: english si on March 25, 2015, 05:36:46 PM
The other networks have rejected working with him, his career is over unless he goes to the States or something. Which might be hard to do if he gets an assault conviction - difficult to get a Visa. Which is looking likely, given that the police are now stepping in.

Was Clarkson convicted of assault in court or just generally acknowledged to have done it?  Doesn't the BBC have anything better to do than press charges against someone who's not disputing his firing for cause?

Yes, I'm thinking all three of them could go as a package to another network, possibly in another country.

6a

I don't know about Top Gear US. One thing the BBC has going for it is no advertising. Clarkson going off about how the new Chevy truck (or whatever) is shit might have a huge impact in that department.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Maybe Putin could give him a job driving that road in Siberia he wants to build... forever.

Quote from: english si on March 25, 2015, 05:36:46 PM
Interesting to see that the BBC boycott has begun with the picture of the guy with the dead chipmunk on his head.
Dead?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GCrites

The only real recourse that Brits have is to not renew their TV license.

02 Park Ave

On the BBC News app, it is stated:  "Top Gear, which is one of BBC Two's most popular programmes, will continue without Clarkson, who will now become the subject of a bidding war by other broadcasters."

Additionally, BBC Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans has said that he will not be joining the show
C-o-H

english si

Quote from: kkt on March 25, 2015, 05:53:57 PMWas Clarkson convicted of assault in court or just generally acknowledged to have done it?
The incident is worthy of investigation as to whether a crime (Actual Bodily Harm being the most likely, says a top cop) had been committed. It's generally acknowledged, including by Clarkson, that the incident took place. I gather that the police want to investigate it, but waited until the disciplinary hearing had occurred as then their investigative work is made easier as already done.
QuoteDoesn't the BBC have anything better to do than press charges against someone who's not disputing his firing for cause?
The BBC isn't not pushing charges nor asking for the police investigation to take place, merely assisting in the investigation. I don't believe in the UK, even Auntie Beeb has the power to demand the police investigate something, or the Crown Prosecution Service take something to court.

North Yorkshire Police have chosen to investigate the incident and it would be the CPS (ie the State), if anyone, who will be the ones pressing charges (as it's a criminal case).
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 25, 2015, 11:08:24 PM
On the BBC News app, it is stated:  "Top Gear, which is one of BBC Two's most popular programmes, will continue without Clarkson, who will now become the subject of a bidding war by other broadcasters."
Although the other UK broadcasters had rejected the idea almost as soon as the news was made official yesterday.

The BBC has made an article about who might replace him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32064440, though they haven't ruled out a return: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32062579. I want Alan Partridge to do it.

english si

I should point out that Clarkson wasn't actually sacked (which should have happened), but merely that his contract won't be renewed. And he'll be paid in full for the little time remaining on it.

Thus, even if he wanted to (and he doesn't), he couldn't sue for unfair dismissal, as he wasn't dismissed - merely they won't rehire him.

SidS1045

Or maybe Top Gear US will hire him?

Clarkson has been repeatedly and widely quoted as saying he'd rather drop dead than live in America or work for an American company.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on March 26, 2015, 08:23:52 AM
The incident is worthy of investigation as to whether a crime (Actual Bodily Harm being the most likely, says a top cop) had been committed. It's generally acknowledged, including by Clarkson, that the incident took place. I gather that the police want to investigate it, but waited until the disciplinary hearing had occurred as then their investigative work is made easier as already done.

I hope the North Yorkshire Police will conduct their own and independent investigation.  Without help from the BBC.

Does the CPS have the same broad discretion as its counterparts in the U.S., state and federal prosecutors to not charge someone?

Quote from: english si on March 26, 2015, 10:03:20 AM
I should point out that Clarkson wasn't actually sacked (which should have happened), but merely that his contract won't be renewed. And he'll be paid in full for the little time remaining on it.

Thus, even if he wanted to (and he doesn't), he couldn't sue for unfair dismissal, as he wasn't dismissed - merely they won't rehire him.

That is fair enough. 

Though (as you said upthread) even though the BBC is not nearly as revenue-driven as most U.S. television is, I still presume that airing the BBC's Top Gear in the U.S. (with commercials) brings in a decent amount of revenue, some of which finds its way back to London.

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 26, 2015, 11:51:42 AM
Or maybe Top Gear US will hire him?

Clarkson has been repeatedly and widely quoted as saying he'd rather drop dead than live in America or work for an American company.

No need for Clarkson (and May and Hammond) to move to the U.S.  At least on Top Gear, they visited pretty frequently anyway.

But I could certainly see one or several of the U.S. TV operators getting interested, including (unfortunately) Murdoch's FoX (or Sky in the UK); Disney (a Clarkson show could presumably air on ESPN or on ABC) or maybe even NBC or CBS (I think all of them are well-known enough that a show hosted by them would do well in the U.S.). 

And there's Canada's CBC, which could greatly boost its profile outside of the Dominion by hiring those guys.

Finally, consider Russia's RT (though I doubt Clarkson would want to work for an ex-KGB agent) and Al Jazeera - both of these have pockets deep enough to hire all three.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

...or The Celebrity Apprentice :P. (yes I know its on hiatus, but it'll likely be back).

english si

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 26, 2015, 12:31:43 PMI hope the North Yorkshire Police will conduct their own and independent investigation.  Without help from the BBC.
Why shouldn't they have help from the BBC, who have obtained interview testimony, etc. Sure they will reinterview and so on, but the BBC has evidence that would be useful.
QuoteDoes the CPS have the same broad discretion as its counterparts in the U.S., state and federal prosecutors to not charge someone?
Of course.

QuoteThough (as you said upthread) even though the BBC is not nearly as revenue-driven as most U.S. television is, I still presume that airing the BBC's Top Gear in the U.S. (with commercials) brings in a decent amount of revenue, some of which finds its way back to London.
I believe, after a fight (not of the Clarkson sort), the execs mostly work in Salford rather than London now*.

The BBC gets over £100 million a year (from a billion pound turnover) from BBC Worldwide, which is their commercial subsidiary (merchandising, selling rights abroad, etc).

In the UK, BBC Worldwide owns 50% of UKTV, which has several genre-specific channels (Watch for populist tat of a variety of kinds, G.O.L.D. for Comedy, Dave for 'Men and Motors' (it's original name), Really for 'Womens Lifestyle', Drama for Drama, Alibi for crime drama, Yesterday for history documentaries/antiques shows, Eden for nature programmes, Home for home and garden programmes, and Good Food for cooking shows) that mostly air reruns of BBC shows, though other stuff - some original programming, some imported, mostly Channel 4 (Commercial network 49% owned by the BBC) reruns (and the odd ITV crime drama) - gets in. While Dave has reruns of TopGear (weekday daytimes), not having new episodes won't harm their revenue much as its not like people haven't seen them all before several times (they burn through about 2 season's worth of episodes a week, airing them twice, so the whole series airs twice each quarter. and it used to be more episodes per day!).

The loss of Top Gear and the loss of the license fees of a few people (who'd have to give up television or face a civil lawsuit from the BBC. Plus the threatening letters about detector vans...) will cost the BBC quite a bit, but not a huge amount given the size of the business they operate. There's quite a bit of fat being cut already, though, so it's not like they can just pull a making BBC3 (the youth orientated channel that spends more than half of its air time repeating programming from other times in the week) online-only out of the hat to make up the shortfall. Local Radio having more shared programming? More repeats on BBC2 and BBC4?

*If you remember, Top Gear did some race at the empty 'Concrete Doughnut' that used to be the main studios and offices of the BBC in London.

SidS1045

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 26, 2015, 12:31:43 PM
But I could certainly see one or several of the U.S. TV operators getting interested, including (unfortunately) Murdoch's FoX (or Sky in the UK); Disney (a Clarkson show could presumably air on ESPN or on ABC) or maybe even NBC or CBS (I think all of them are well-known enough that a show hosted by them would do well in the U.S.).

Not a snowball's chance in Hades.

Given Clarkson's open hatred of most things American, including American cars, an American network would likely place such burdensome restrictions on what he could say that he wouldn't bother even signing the contract.  The appeal of Top Gear UK in the US stems, IMO, from the fact that it's so much the opposite of the PC pap propagated by the American networks and cable stations.  When they didn't like something, they said so and never, that I can recall, held back.  I don't see Clarkson (or Hammond or May, for that matter) agreeing to put themselves in such a restrictive situation on a US-based network or cable station.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.