News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rental car: Trunk taped shut?

Started by briantroutman, March 13, 2015, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on March 24, 2015, 03:03:38 PM
.... Any vehicle legally parked on the street would have the REAR plate facing traffic, not the front. ....

For what it's worth, that isn't always the case, though in most cases you're correct. I am aware of places where there is on-street diagonal parking and you are required to back into the space, so in that case the rear plate is facing away from traffic. But for enforcement purposes that would only be an issue if the parking were up against a wall (such as the way some people back into spaces in underground parking garages). Most on-street parking doesn't face that issue.

Just in case it wasn't clear from my other comments, I see little need for two plates, but since not displaying the front plate is a good way to get a ticket around here I see no reason not to comply with the requirement that I have one (I do know people who refuse to mount the front plate and they invariably wind up getting ticketed).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

The added benefit of front plates is limited because they are not required to be illuminated, and they can be a significant source of aerodynamic drag depending on the car model and plate mounting design.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Kentucky doesn't require front plates, but just about every vehicle I ever owned had a spot for one. I always kept some sort of personal expression plate on them (my name on an airbrushed plate, or a UK or Dale Earnhardt-themed plate). My Saturn Vue doesn't have the front plate holder. And that didn't stop PTC from sending me a violation notice when my E-ZPass didn't get read a few years ago because the camera got a photo of my rear plate, they looked up my registration, and sent me the notice.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2015, 08:58:17 PM
Kentucky doesn't require front plates, but just about every vehicle I ever owned had a spot for one. I always kept some sort of personal expression plate on them (my name on an airbrushed plate, or a UK or Dale Earnhardt-themed plate). My Saturn Vue doesn't have the front plate holder. And that didn't stop PTC from sending me a violation notice when my E-ZPass didn't get read a few years ago because the camera got a photo of my rear plate, they looked up my registration, and sent me the notice.

So was the violation notice only for not having a front plate?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on March 24, 2015, 09:11:42 PM

No, the E-ZPass didn't read and the violation was for supposedly using an E-ZPass lane without having an E-ZPass. All I had to do was send a copy of my statement (showing other transactions on the PTC system that day) and the violation was rescinded.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2015, 04:46:15 PM

No, the E-ZPass didn't read and the violation was for supposedly using an E-ZPass lane without having an E-ZPass. All I had to do was send a copy of my statement (showing other transactions on the PTC system that day) and the violation was rescinded.

Odd.  You'd think they'd already realize that from the other transactions on that plate from that day.  Here, in Illinois, you see "V Toll" by that transaction without even getting so much as a letter if the system read the transponder at the other locations.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on March 25, 2015, 05:01:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2015, 04:46:15 PM

Odd.  You'd think they'd already realize that from the other transactions on that plate from that day.  Here, in Illinois, you see "V Toll" by that transaction without even getting so much as a letter if the system read the transponder at the other locations.

Lazy operator syndrome. 

By chance the plate wasn't registered (I seriously doubt this option), or they couldn't look up registrations/tags from his state. 

But I'll go with my first choice.

J N Winkler

Quote from: oscar on March 17, 2015, 12:43:18 PMTammy Darvish was also a well-known female name among local car dealers, as an executive VP and front person for the local Darcars dealership network, but that went away after she sued her father over ownership of the company.

More on that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-good-daughter-tammy-darvish-and-the-darcars-family-drama/2015/04/01/70bb0834-d158-11e4-a62f-ee745911a4ff_story.html
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.