News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on September 08, 2016, 07:53:24 PM
They'll wait until they build the bridge and connect the Barling segment, which uses the new I-49 mileage.

That is what I'm thinking, as well.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2015, 08:37:15 AM
Rumor is that the next section of I-49 between Greenwood and Texarkana will be a bypass of Mena. Has this been confirmed? There would be exits at AR 8 and 88, CR 70, and some sort of interchange where it meets US 71 southwest of Mena. How are the CR 70 and the southwestern interchange going to be configured?
(above quote from I-49 Mena bypass thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 03, 2016, 09:25:09 PM
This June 27 article reports that representatives from three Arkansas cities met recently to discuss the next steps for I-49, Texarkana, Fort Smith, and Mena. 
They agreed that initial focus should be on finishing the Arkansas River bridge, and then the initiation of acquiring rights of way  for the furtherance of I-49 in Arkansas

Sort of reading tea leaves, but a Mena state representative says build the I-49 Arkansas River bridge first, then the rest of I-49 will follow. Which means that a Mena bypass will not happen soon.  This article reports:

Arkansas State Representative Marcus E. Richmond spoke at the Mena Lions Club on Friday where he talked on Medicaid issues and Interstate 49. He represents District 21, including parts of Polk, Scott, Perry, Garland, Yell, Crawford and Sebastian counties ....
Richmond also discussed the next step that he believes needs to be taken in order to complete the long-awaited I-49 and the benefits it could bring to the district. "The next big step is finishing the bridge there at Alma across the Arkansas River," Richmond said. "Once that's done there are very few excuses to keep postponing the competition of Interstate 49."
Richmond said he is in favor of legislation that would incentivize businesses to bring and keep local employment in his district and acknowledged some people will be concerned I-49 will change the community. "I don't think it will have that much of an impact on who we are, but what it may do is be that large artery that allows businesses that are already here to expand and hire more people," he said. "In my opinion it would encourage new industries and maybe some of the smaller businesses to start up and expand as well. It would have beneficial economic impact on our area."

KamKam

Quote from: Road Hog on September 08, 2016, 07:53:24 PM
They'll wait until they build the bridge and connect the Barling segment, which uses the new I-49 mileage.
That makes Sense since AR 22 Exit # is 193 and U.S. 71 Exit is 187 on AR 549 (Future I-49)

O Tamandua

1. On the 18th of August, Chaffee Crossing's Ivy Owen says the AHTD has started its engineering studies of the I-49 bridge and never does such a study without intending to finish the project within 10 years.
2. On September 4th, Dick Trammell says he doesn't believe construction on the Bella Vista Bypass will stop until its "finished and four-laned", and we get newspaper confirmation that Missouri is slated to start their section of that I-49 in 2020. Then yesterday:
3. State Rep. Marcus Richmond told the Mena Lions' Club: "The next big step is finishing the bridge there at Alma across the Arkansas River,...Once that's done there are very few excuses to keep postponing the competition of Interstate 49."  (Thanks, Grzrd.)

Talk is cheap, but BOY is there a lot of talk about Arkansas I-49 now within the space of less than a month.  It is truly foolish now NOT to think about finishing that road.  I guess we've reached the point where "reasons" start to become "excuses", per Rep. Richmond.

intelati49

Quote from: O Tamandua on September 15, 2016, 08:12:05 PM
1. On the 18th of August, Chaffee Crossing's Ivy Owen says the AHTD has started its engineering studies of the I-49 bridge and never does such a study without intending to finish the project within 10 years.
2. On September 4th, Dick Trammell says he doesn't believe construction on the Bella Vista Bypass will stop until its "finished and four-laned", and we get newspaper confirmation that Missouri is slated to start their section of that I-49 in 2020. Then yesterday:
3. State Rep. Marcus Richmond told the Mena Lions' Club: "The next big step is finishing the bridge there at Alma across the Arkansas River,...Once that's done there are very few excuses to keep postponing the competition of Interstate 49."  (Thanks, Grzrd.)

Talk is cheap, but BOY is there a lot of talk about Arkansas I-49 now within the space of less than a month.  It is truly foolish now NOT to think about finishing that road.  I guess we've reached the point where "reasons" start to become "excuses", per Rep. Richmond.

As a Missourian who have taken US71 many many times.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on September 15, 2016, 08:12:05 PM

Dick Trammel talks a lot like a cheerleader crossed with a slick politician.

Road Hog

Should be noted that Richmond represents the area where the bridge will be built, as well as Mena and all points in between, so an all-of-the-above approach benefits him the most.

Grzrd

Quote from: galador on August 18, 2016, 09:46:01 PM
There was an interesting comment by Ivy Owens (FCRA director) about the I-49 bridge in Talk Business today:
Owen offered updates on the I-49 bridge and the relocation of Highway 255 to Frontier Road as well as the widening of Frontier to five lanes. Concerning the I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River, Owen said engineering on the estimated $350 million project has been approved.
"The Highway Department has a policy that once they start the engineering on a project, they will complete it within 10 years, so some of the people in this room will be driving on that bridge in 10 years, and we couldn't have said that three or four years ago,"  Owen revealed to the Board. "It's still at the top of the Governor's priority list to get that done. That's one thing that spearheaded this along, and our Highway Commissioner has been right on top of it."

I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but this article reports that AHTD is studying whether to toll the thirteen-mile Arkansas River bridge section of I-49:

The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department is commissioning a study on the feasibility of not only using tolls to help build a new section of Interstate 49 in western Arkansas, but also to have someone else operate and maintain the tollway.
The Arkansas Highway Commission last week approved an order to solicit consultants to study using tolls and a public-private partnership to complete a 13-mile section of I-49 from Interstate 40, where I-49 ends now, south to Arkansas 22 in Barling.

If built as envisioned, it would be the first example of a public-private partnership on a roadway project in Arkansas, state highway officials said.
"The thought, if the money part works out, is that a private entity would design, build, operate and maintain the facility until it is paid for and can become a 'free' route," Scott Bennett, the department director, said last week. "Many times, with facilities such as this, there is a shortfall between the revenue generated from tolls and what is needed to build the facility.
"From this standpoint, it could actually be a design-build-finance-operate-maintain project. Part of the study should also evaluate the costs and benefits of operations and maintenance by a third party versus operations and maintenance by the department." ....
The estimated price tag of the 13.7-mile segment between Barling and Alma is $380 million. The estimate includes $110 million for a new bridge over the Arkansas River.
The bridge cannot be built without connecting I-49 between Alma and Barling.
"You've got to connect the bridge on either side to make it usable," Bennett told the commission last week.
Bennett briefed local leaders about a month ago on the possibility of looking at tolls to build the new segment ....
The consultant will have to reassess the environmental impact statement for the project because it is outdated. The Federal Highway Administration approved it in 1997.
The consultant also will develop a "conceptual and preliminary design for more accurate cost estimating ... explore tolling as a feasible funding option and ... determine if the project is a candidate for the design/build/maintain project delivery method," state highway officials said.
From the time it takes to hire the consultant to completion of all aspects of the study, it could take two years, Bennett said.
"We need some design to know actually how much it is going to cost," Bennett said. "And this is one from the standpoint of public-private partnerships. You have tolling and the possibility of having ... design build-finance-operate-maintain. This could be a possibility.
"But we won't know unless we have the numbers, so what we're saying is we'll carve out a little of that $10 million for the tolling study so we'll know whether it's viable as a public-private partnership. A lot of that will tell us whether it's viable as a design-build project also."

Scott5114

That would be extremely shunpikable with I-540, wouldn't it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Private entity builds and maintains tollway. Like that worked so well for Texas.

bjrush

Woo Pig Sooie

mvak36

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2016, 06:55:54 AM

Yes it would. That stretch of 540 and the little stretch of 71 is going to see a lot of traffic if that happens lol.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

What the hell kind of bridge are they thinking about building that it takes 2 years just to come up with a design to determine costs (and then presumably wait a few more years to build the thing and meanwhile let price inflation make it even more expensive)?

This isn't the freaking Golden Gate Bridge or some other signature crossing like that. It's just a conventional highway bridge over a river with nothing bigger than small barge traffic on it. It's not like a Disney Princess cruise ship is going to ever come steaming through Fort Smith. There's lots of other conventional bridges crossing barge traveled rivers all over the country. What makes this one bridge such an engineering feat to build? It's not like the Great River Bridge proposed to cross the Mississippi.

45 years ago this nation was putting men on the moon and laying down 1000 miles of Interstate highway per year. Now we can't do squat.

bjrush

Quote from: mvak36 on September 21, 2016, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2016, 06:55:54 AM

Yes it would. That stretch of 540 and the little stretch of 71 is going to see a lot of traffic if that happens lol.

No more than it already sees, I imagine
Woo Pig Sooie

codyg1985

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 21, 2016, 01:27:16 PM
What the hell kind of bridge are they thinking about building that it takes 2 years just to come up with a design to determine costs (and then presumably wait a few more years to build the thing and meanwhile let price inflation make it even more expensive)?

This isn't the freaking Golden Gate Bridge or some other signature crossing like that. It's just a conventional highway bridge over a river with nothing bigger than small barge traffic on it. It's not like a Disney Princess cruise ship is going to ever come steaming through Fort Smith. There's lots of other conventional bridges crossing barge traveled rivers all over the country. What makes this one bridge such an engineering feat to build? It's not like the Great River Bridge proposed to cross the Mississippi.

45 years ago this nation was putting men on the moon and laying down 1000 miles of Interstate highway per year. Now we can't do squat.

It looks like the area around the river at that location looks marshy, so long approach spans may also be required, which would drive the cost of the bridge up.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Gordon

They are looking at spending maybe 670 million on I-30 in Little Rock to upgrade it over the Arkansas River but can't find the money to build this one at Fort smith. 1/2 cent sales tax was passed mainly for Little Rock.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on September 21, 2016, 06:46:07 PM
They are looking at spending maybe 670 million on I-30 in Little Rock to upgrade it over the Arkansas River but can't find the money to build this one at Fort smith. 1/2 cent sales tax was passed mainly for Little Rock.

And NW Arkansas, but LR first (like the Broadway Bridge)

O Tamandua

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 21, 2016, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 21, 2016, 01:27:16 PM

It looks like the area around the river at that location looks marshy, so long approach spans may also be required, which would drive the cost of the bridge up.

(Yes, I know it would add to the cost but...with something like this, I partially wish they'd build a smaller version of the majestic bridge between Lake Village and Greenville, MS, and atop it, fly a big American flag on the highest point like that above the Kansas City Southern railway bridge between Vicksburg and Louisiana, just north of I-20.  If you're going to diddle around and build an expensive bridge, build an expensive (memorable) bridge!  :love:  (Imagining how beautiful that sight would look as one comes out of the Boston Mountains above Alma on I-49 and sees the flag-bearing bridge structure in the distance with the Ouachitas beyond, beckoning to south Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and the Gulf Coast.  :love: ))

bjrush

Quote from: O Tamandua on September 22, 2016, 05:33:20 PM

(Yes, I know it would add to the cost but...with something like this, I partially wish they'd build a smaller version of the majestic bridge between Lake Village and Greenville, MS, and atop it, fly a big American flag on the highest point like that above the Kansas City Southern railway bridge between Vicksburg and Louisiana, just north of I-20.  If you're going to diddle around and build an expensive bridge, build an expensive (memorable) bridge!  :love:  (Imagining how beautiful that sight would look as one comes out of the Boston Mountains above Alma on I-49 and sees the flag-bearing bridge structure in the distance with the Ouachitas beyond, beckoning to south Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and the Gulf Coast.  :love: ))

I say put a bonnie blue flag on it
Woo Pig Sooie

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: bjrush on September 23, 2016, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: O Tamandua on September 22, 2016, 05:33:20 PM

I say put a bonnie blue flag on it

Some historian would surely get wise.

LM117

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 21, 2016, 01:27:16 PM45 years ago this nation was putting men on the moon and laying down 1000 miles of Interstate highway per year. Now we can't do squat.

Nailed it! :rofl:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Quote from: LM117 on October 03, 2016, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 21, 2016, 01:27:16 PM45 years ago this nation was putting men on the moon and laying down 1000 miles of Interstate highway per year. Now we can't do squat.

No one wants to pay for them, anymore.

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on October 03, 2016, 08:12:21 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 03, 2016, 07:50:35 PM

No one wants to pay for them, anymore.

We've accumulated $15 trillion in debt as a nation over the last two presidencies. How much infrastructure could that money have built? What the tarnation did it go to?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Plutonic Panda

Doesn't Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump have some huge spending plan for our infrastructure? It was one of them, but I can't remember which.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.