News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/roadwork/s_636269.html

Apparently they're breaking ground today on the projects that will finally complete the W.V. section.

Still no design illustrations of how the interchange will look, and the closest thing to a description doesn't sound accurate:

QuoteThe expressway will connect with I-68 near Lakeview Resort. Construction will include a four-lane ramp and a small bridge, according to Walker.

I doubt there will be "a ramp" that is 4-lanes.

Guess this might be something else to see next time there is a meet in the Uniontown, PA area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PAHighways

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2009, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/roadwork/s_636269.html

Apparently they're breaking ground today on the projects that will finally complete the W.V. section.

Still no design illustrations of how the interchange will look, and the closest thing to a description doesn't sound accurate:

QuoteThe expressway will connect with I-68 near Lakeview Resort. Construction will include a four-lane ramp and a small bridge, according to Walker.

I doubt there will be "a ramp" that is 4-lanes.

Guess this might be something else to see next time there is a meet in the Uniontown, PA area.

Aren't you getting a little bit ahead of yourself on that, HB?

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

Apparently, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and the State of West Virginia are talking about tolling WV's portion of the Mon-Fayette.

See http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4298

Of course, as no agreements have been signed, it may come to nothing.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Hmmm...that picture with Governor Casey in it looks familiar.

The PTC can't fund construction of the 51 to 376 section, now they have to pay for West Virginia's section as well?  That is a bigger travesty than changing the name!

If West Virginia can't pay their own costs, then they should do I was suggested earlier.

mightyace

QuoteThe PTC can't fund construction of the 51 to 376 section, now they have to pay for West Virginia's section as well?  That is a bigger travesty than changing the name!

Maybe they're planning on using the I-80 tolls.  :-D :sombrero:  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

They had a story about the Mon-Fayette and the Southern Beltway earlier tonight on KDKA.  Here's the video about it:
http://kdka.com/video/?id=64883@kdka.dayport.com

SP Cook

This road has no WV purpose whatsoever.  Of course WV should toll it.  I cannot think of a reason any WVian would drive on it.

hbelkins

Quote from: HighwayMaster on November 29, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
I say, if RTE-43 is only a few miles away from I-68, then extend it!

Quite a bit of it is already done, but bridges and the I-68 connection are needed to complete it.

CanesFan27

A WVDOH official indicated that the WV portion of the Mon-Fayette Expressway could be open by the end of the year.

The I-68/Bower's Lane interchange project should be completed by November.  The northern half of the interchange which connects to Bower's Lane is 40 percent complete.  The southern half of the interchange - a direct tie in to Interstate 68 - is 25 percent finished.

http://wvgazette.com/ap/ApTopStories/201001110176
http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/792-mon-fayette-expressway

Alps

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 13, 2010, 09:28:16 PM
So when's the Mon Valley roadmeet?

Jeff had one in Uniontown, Pa. back in December 2007.

They will really have to hustle to get the I-68 interchange finished by the end of the year. But I saw in the video that they were out working in the snow.

Mr_Northside

Back in December I had reason to drive that stretch of I-68... It was already dark when I was headed east, so I couldn't see anything off-highway, and was expecting to see a lot of "work-zone" related signs and such on the highway, but saw no real signs anything was happening [eastbound]

Heading back westbound it was daylight, but the crappy weather dictated that most all of my attention was focused on what was right in front of me.  There were construction signs referencing construction for the ramp to Cheat Lake.

I certainly wouldn't bet money on the interchange with I-68 being done by the end of the year.  

It's a shame that this project doesn't seem to have its own website.

AlpsROADS: fixed annoying apostrophe
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

CanesFan27

With West Virginia nearing completion of their portion of the Mon-Fayette Expressway, PennDot is looking to moving US 119 onto it, once the Mon-Fayette is completed, to Interstate 68.  According to the minutes of the August 20, 2009 meeting of the Morgantown Metropolitan Planning Organization, PennDot "...wishes to [ask] AASHTO to resign that section of the Mon-Fayette Expressway as U.S. 119. Pennsylvania wishes to immediately place U.S. 119 signage on the interstate and overlap from Exit 1 on I-68, across Cheat Lake."

Under the Pennsylvania proposal, US 119 would no longer leave the freeway at Morgantown Road (un-numbered exit; mile 12), but it would now continue on the toll road south into West Virginia and then west on Interstate 68 until Exit 1.

However, West Virginia prefers that US 119 leave I-68 at Exit 7 and continue to run through downtown Morgantown.

For some more details (including a map scan) head to the blog:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/pennsylvania-wants-to-move-us-119-onto.html

PAHighways

If any route changes should take place, PA 857 should be decommissioned.  US 119 should just remain on its current alignment as it deviates farther from the MFE than 857 which parallels it all the way.

xonhulu

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 14, 2010, 04:30:16 PM
Under the Pennsylvania proposal, US 119 would no longer leave the freeway at Morgantown Road (un-numbered exit; mile 12), but it would now continue on the toll road south into West Virginia and then west on Interstate 68 until Exit 1.

However, West Virginia prefers that US 119 leave I-68 at Exit 7 and continue to run through downtown Morgantown.

For some more details (including a map scan) head to the blog:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/pennsylvania-wants-to-move-us-119-onto.html

As noted on the blog, how likely is AASHTO to approve a US Highway on a toll road?  Otherwise, it would be the most direct route, keeping with AASHTO dictates.  Current 119 could become ALT 119.

froggie

Per AASHTO policy, US routes can follow a toll road if a toll-free alternative exists and remains on the U.S. route system.  So there's a pretty good chance AASHTO will approve US 119 along the Mon-Fayette, as long as existing US 119 (or a comparable toll-free route) remains on the system.....ALT US 119 anyone?

shoptb1

Quote from: froggie on February 15, 2010, 07:01:26 AM
Per AASHTO policy, US routes can follow a toll road if a toll-free alternative exists and remains on the U.S. route system.  So there's a pretty good chance AASHTO will approve US 119 along the Mon-Fayette, as long as existing US 119 (or a comparable toll-free route) remains on the system.....ALT US 119 anyone?

Yes, this is what was done in NE Oklahoma when the US-412 was routed along the tolled Cherokee Turnpike...the old alignment was signed as 'US-412 Scenic'.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 15, 2010, 07:01:26 AM
Per AASHTO policy, US routes can follow a toll road if a toll-free alternative exists and remains on the U.S. route system.  So there's a pretty good chance AASHTO will approve US 119 along the Mon-Fayette, as long as existing US 119 (or a comparable toll-free route) remains on the system.....ALT US 119 anyone?

West Virginia has already said it wants to keep US 119 through downtown Morgantown. Here's a compromise: route US 119 along County 857, which is the new route (Pierpont Rd.) connecting US 119 to I-68, then run US 119 concurrently with I-68 down the hill and across Cheat Lake, then onto the new route. This allows US 119 to stay in Morgantown yet satisfies PennDOT's desire to put it on the new route. I have only driven US 119 from Morgantown to the state line and not on up to Uniontown, but if it's as crappy a road in PA as it is in WV, it ought to be downgraded from a primary through route. I think most through traffic takes County 857 from I-68 north into Pennsylvania as it is now, not US 119.

CanesFan27

HB,

That's pretty much what the Morgantown MPO has suggested.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2010, 10:10:59 AM
West Virginia has already said it wants to keep US 119 through downtown Morgantown. Here's a compromise: route US 119 along County 857, which is the new route (Pierpont Rd.) connecting US 119 to I-68, then run US 119 concurrently with I-68 down the hill and across Cheat Lake, then onto the new route. This allows US 119 to stay in Morgantown yet satisfies PennDOT's desire to put it on the new route. I have only driven US 119 from Morgantown to the state line and not on up to Uniontown, but if it's as crappy a road in PA as it is in WV, it ought to be downgraded from a primary through route. I think most through traffic takes County 857 from I-68 north into Pennsylvania as it is now, not US 119.

I'd imagine if they do anything with this idea, that this will be what happens.  Except for the real cheapskates, I'm sure this will be what the majority of Morgantown <-> Uniontown traffic will do anyhow.  (And the cheapskates will probably use 857 anyway)
Though, I'll admit, even though I don't think it's ever been considered as a serious option (or at all), I always liked the idea of an I-x68 spur to Uniontown (and possibly the rest of the highway if it never makes it north of Jefferson Hills).  I figure it would be I-68's best chance at having a useful "child" route.  That said, it's not something I'm gonna lose any sleep over.

I'm also fine with this idea, it will extend US-119's 4-lane nature further southward from Uniontown.  PA could get real crazy, and if they're gonna put a US route over a toll Rd anyway, they could replace/duplex it up the Hutchinson bypass with PA Tpk-66 to US-22 (and extend that duplex), creating a 4-lane US-119 corridor (with a couple of 1-lane ramp exceptions) from north of Indiana (PA), to Morgantown.

treichard

Here's what AASHTO says regarding tolled US highways:

http://cms.transportation.org/sites/route/docs/USRN_Checklist_Dec2009.pdf

Quote15. Any toll highway facility may be included in the U.S. Numbered System
when it meets all the criteria for inclusion, and when the request
for the marking originates with the official authority having
jurisdiction over the toll facility and the request is directed to
AASHTO and supported by the appropriate Member Department. The word
"Toll" shall appear over the official U.S. Route Marker and a toll-free
routing between the same termini shall continue to be retained and
marked as a part of the U.S. Numbered System.

Though next I saw here
http://us-highways.com/tollus.htm
that all present Toll US Highways are "not signed as TOLL", and the free alternatives don't need to have the same number as the toll road.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2010, 10:10:59 AMI have only driven US 119 from Morgantown to the state line and not on up to Uniontown, but if it's as crappy a road in PA as it is in WV, it ought to be downgraded from a primary through route.

It is about the same.  You can see it on the VidLog; however, it could keep the original US 119 designation and let the toll road get the first green-on-white US PA Turnpike 119 shield.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2010, 10:10:59 AMI think most through traffic takes County 857 from I-68 north into Pennsylvania as it is now, not US 119.

Definitely since it is a quick jaunt up 68 to CR 857 then a short ride to the Mason-Dixon Line and then onto either 43 or PA 857.  WVDOT recognized the heavy usage of the route by installing warning signage for the curves to alert truckers even before the MFE opened but it became even more important after wards.

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.