Roads in Kentucky that need to be improved or widened

Started by iBallasticwolf2, May 12, 2015, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

I decided to make a general topic about any road in Kentucky that you think should be improved or widened.

I would like to start this off with the AA highway and its spurs probably needing widening in the future. There are already proposals for parts of it. http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/KY%209%20-AA%20Highway-%20Widening%20Study%20-%20complete.pdf

There is also the Mountain parkway widening project.

Another one would be multiple Interstate highways in KY that need 6 laning such as I-71 inside the I-265 loop. As well as I-265 itself.

Possibly the Cylde T Barbour parkway.

Also KY 627 between US 25 and Winchester
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

hbelkins

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on May 12, 2015, 05:53:43 PM
I decided to make a general topic about any road in Kentucky that you think should be improved or widened.

I would like to start this off with the AA highway and its spurs probably needing widening in the future. There are already proposals for parts of it. http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/KY%209%20-AA%20Highway-%20Widening%20Study%20-%20complete.pdf

There is also the Mountain parkway widening project.

Another one would be multiple Interstate highways in KY that need 6 laning such as I-71 inside the I-265 loop. As well as I-265 itself.

Possibly the Cylde T Barbour parkway.

Also KY 627 between US 25 and Winchester

I don't think the Mountain Parkway needs the widening that it's getting. The road is fine for the amount and type of traffic it carries. Some spot improvements, adding a few passing lanes and straightening some curves would be fine.

Not all the AA needs widening, either. There are sections along the route with fairly light traffic counts.

Also KY 627. It's perfectly fine.

What does need to be finished is the London-to-Ashland corridor. KY 30 from Tyner to Levi, KY 11 from Levi to Beattyville, KY 715 from Zachariah to Pine Ridge, and KY 7 from north of West Liberty to Sandy Hook and a short section near Grayson Lake. Part of KY 7 in Elliott County is now under construction.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

These are more like extensions than widenings and improvements, but I would say extending the Bluegrass Parkway east to I-64 and extending the Cumberland Parkway east to KY 80 would be worthwhile projects. I would say I-65 between Bowling Green and Elizabethtown, but that is well underway.

Is traffic really bad enough on I-265 right now to justify widening it? Maybe it would get heavier once the East End bridge is finished.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Captain Jack

U.S. 41 through Henderson.

Yes, I understand if and when the 69 bridge is built, it will alleviate some of this, but there are several things that should be done regardless.

1. Eliminate left turns at Wolf Hills Road, Ellis Park and Waterworks Road. There are numerous accidents and all are pretty much not needed. Traffic on Wolf Hills can use Watson, Marywood or U.S. 60, Southbound to Ellis can easily be handled by exiting right and going under the bridges. Same for southbound traffic leaving the track. There is nothing on Waterworks that can't be reasonably reached by using Veterans Parkway.

2. Elevate it over Watson and Marywood and create a type of urban freeway, similar to U.S.231-431 in Huntsville. It will be tight, but it should be able to be achieved without too much property acquisition.

Doing both of these could buy this route several years as a "Temp 69" until the bridge funding can be worked out.

tidecat

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 15, 2015, 07:32:43 AM
These are more like extensions than widenings and improvements, but I would say extending the Bluegrass Parkway east to I-64 and extending the Cumberland Parkway east to KY 80 would be worthwhile projects. I would say I-65 between Bowling Green and Elizabethtown, but that is well underway.

Is traffic really bad enough on I-265 right now to justify widening it? Maybe it would get heavier once the East End bridge is finished.
The area between I-65 and Bardstown Road (US 31E) seems to have a high number of collisions.  The interchange with I-64 could stand some improvement as well, as it backs traffic up nearly 2 miles every day during the mornings and evenings.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 15, 2015, 06:31:07 PM
U.S. 41 through Henderson.

Yes, I understand if and when the 69 bridge is built, it will alleviate some of this, but there are several things that should be done regardless.

1. Eliminate left turns at Wolf Hills Road, Ellis Park and Waterworks Road. There are numerous accidents and all are pretty much not needed. Traffic on Wolf Hills can use Watson, Marywood or U.S. 60, Southbound to Ellis can easily be handled by exiting right and going under the bridges. Same for southbound traffic leaving the track. There is nothing on Waterworks that can't be reasonably reached by using Veterans Parkway.

2. Elevate it over Watson and Marywood and create a type of urban freeway, similar to U.S.231-431 in Huntsville. It will be tight, but it should be able to be achieved without too much property acquisition.

Doing both of these could buy this route several years as a "Temp 69" until the bridge funding can be worked out.

I love the idea of the elevated US 41, even after I-69 is built through there it would serve as a great short bypass of probably the busiest part of US 41 in Henderson
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

billtm

Quote from: tidecat on May 15, 2015, 07:09:23 PM

The area between I-65 and Bardstown Road (US 31E) seems to have a high number of collisions.  The interchange with I-64 could stand some improvement as well, as it backs traffic up nearly 2 miles every day during the mornings and evenings.
They're currently reconfiguring Spaghetti Junction (65 & 64) while also doubling I-65's bridge capacity over the Ohio.

hbelkins

Quote from: tidecat on May 15, 2015, 07:09:23 PMThe interchange with I-64 could stand some improvement as well, as it backs traffic up nearly 2 miles every day during the mornings and evenings.

My understanding is that a project to eliminate the cloverleaf there is on the drawing board.

These are more like extensions than widenings and improvements, but I would say extending the Bluegrass Parkway east to I-64

Needed, but will never be done. The NIMBYs in Woodford County won't allow it.

Quoteand extending the Cumberland Parkway east to KY 80 would be worthwhile projects.

This one's supposed to happen, but I don't know the timetable on it.

JMoses24

The problem I see with 6-laning I-71 inside I-265 is, it ends 9 miles later at the "Spaghetti Junction" I-64/65/71 interchange. Right now, the two main lanes of 71 default to I-65, one ramp for each direction with a ramp for I-64 West. Now, with that being re-done, it may be possible to expand I-71.

I-265, I absolutely would expand it.

As for what else needs work? Besides the Brent Spence Bridge (painfully obvious), I would say safety improvements to the AA.

Also, KY 20 near its eastern intersection with KY 8 in Boone County. That road is frequently closed due to landslides, so some drainage work would be a major benefit. It is the main access from the airport to Anderson Ferry, which at rush hour can be a faster route between the airport and the west side of Cincinnati than going I-275 to I-75 to US 50.

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 18, 2015, 02:33:00 AMI would say safety improvements to the AA.

Like what, and where? They've done all sorts of safety improvements over the years, from oversized signage at intersections to traffic lights not supported by engineering studies. You can't prevent stupid drivers.

keithvh

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 18, 2015, 02:33:00 AM
Also, KY 20 near its eastern intersection with KY 8 in Boone County. That road is frequently closed due to landslides, so some drainage work would be a major benefit. It is the main access from the airport to Anderson Ferry, which at rush hour can be a faster route between the airport and the west side of Cincinnati than going I-275 to I-75 to US 50.

That's a remarkably steep distance KY 20 climbs there --- I agree, area definitely needs some drainage work.

Point Pleasant Road also climbs the hill (eventually to Minola Pike), starting very near the Anderson Ferry access point.  Doesn't seem like too many people know about that, but fortunately it exists, another way for West Siders to get to the Airport.

keithvh

Kentucky roads --- on the whole --- I find to be pretty good.  But a couple I've encountered recently:

(1) US-460 between Mt. Sterling and Paris: simply awful, incredibly narrow.  Doesn't need to be 4 lanes, but needs a significant upgrade.  This portion of road is part of the US-27 "corridor" from Cincinnati to the Bluegrass/I-64/Red River Gorge area, as that "corridor" is.

(2) I was down there just last weekend: KY-90/US-25W intersection down SW of Corbin is very poorly constructed, I don't get it.  Seems like accidents from KY-90 East to US-25W North would happen all the time.  And there's quite a bit of that traffic, coming from the Cumberland Falls park. 

hbelkins

Quote from: keithvh on May 22, 2015, 09:20:28 PM
(2) I was down there just last weekend: KY-90/US-25W intersection down SW of Corbin is very poorly constructed, I don't get it.  Seems like accidents from KY-90 East to US-25W North would happen all the time.  And there's quite a bit of that traffic, coming from the Cumberland Falls park.

That's still a classic "Y" intersection, isn't it?

keithvh

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2015, 04:17:19 PM
Quote from: keithvh on May 22, 2015, 09:20:28 PM

That's still a classic "Y" intersection, isn't it?

Yep, it's definitely a "classic Y intersection" --- very shallow angle at the stop sign from KY-90 East to US-25W North, so you have to really crane the neck back (all the while noting any oncoming traffic too).  I get the "idea" behind the Y, but there's little development there, seems a "T" is just easier.

Sidenote --- I've been all-around the Commonwealth (117 of the 120 counties), but last weekend was my first time to actually see Cumberland Falls: it is pretty cool!!  I'm glad I made the visit.

keithvh

Quote from: hbelkins on May 15, 2015, 10:10:13 PM

My understanding is that a project to eliminate the cloverleaf there is on the drawing board.

Bumping this ---- you were talking about potentially improving the I-265/I-64 interchange ..... but are there any possibilities for improvements of the I-265/I-71 interchange?  That one is also a mess with the cloverleaf!  I did the Cincinnati to Louisville drive this afternoon and re-remembered how bad that one is.

Buck87

On the topic of the original question...

How about I-75 between Berea and London? Are there any plans to complete the widening in that section? There are two 4 lane sections in that stretch that have 6 lane sections on either side of them, so I'm assuming the idea is to eventually fill in those gaps.

As for the remaining 4 lane section from south of London to the TN state line, are there any plans for widening that as well? I suppose going all the way to the state line itself wouldn't really be worth it unless Tennessee actually had plans to widen their part (very unlikely)....but how about going as far south as Corbin or Williamsburg? Exit 11 seems like a good target to shoot for IMO.

hbelkins

Quote from: keithvh on January 29, 2016, 10:46:05 PM

Bumping this ---- you were talking about potentially improving the I-265/I-64 interchange ..... but are there any possibilities for improvements of the I-265/I-71 interchange?  That one is also a mess with the cloverleaf!  I did the Cincinnati to Louisville drive this afternoon and re-remembered how bad that one is.

I actually think that project was supposed to go to bid this month.

Quote from: Buck87 on January 30, 2016, 11:13:44 PM

How about I-75 between Berea and London? Are there any plans to complete the widening in that section? There are two 4 lane sections in that stretch that have 6 lane sections on either side of them, so I'm assuming the idea is to eventually fill in those gaps.

Included in the governor's road plan submitted to the legislature this week.

ukfan758

Quote from: hbelkins on January 30, 2016, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: keithvh on January 29, 2016, 10:46:05 PM

I actually think that project was supposed to go to bid this month.

Quote from: Buck87 on January 30, 2016, 11:13:44 PM

Included in the governor's road plan submitted to the legislature this week.
When driving I-65 to Nashville and elsewhere, I notice that the Natcher Parkway and I-65 interchange utilizes a separated lane for cars wanting to get on the Natcher Parkway and for those merging onto I-65. Could this work with the I-71/I-265 interchange with the separated lane on I-71 by squeezing the 4 travel lanes to the center or is there not enough space?
Here's pictures of the Natcher interchange:
http://imgur.com/Jxo3yrs
http://imgur.com/yd5klOD

As for widening in the Louisville area, I would like to see 64 east widened to three lanes after the tunnel in (west would have to stay at 2 because the tunnel is protected to my knowledge); I-71 widened to six lanes from the Spaghetti Junction to at least exit 14, preferably exit 17 or 22 due to development in Oldham County.   

dvferyance

Simple answer I-64 between I-71 and I-264 way long over do. At least widen it to the Grinstead exit that's the last exit before the tunnels that everyone thinks is historic.

Buck87

Regarding I-75 widening, here are the "Value Engineering Study Reports" for the planned widening in Rockcastle County (MP 55.3 to 69.0)

55.3 to 60.1 & 60.1 to 64.5: http://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201603.pdf
64.5 to 69.0: http://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201602.pdf

In one of these, it mentions the projects are due to let  on the following schedule:
64.5 to 69.0 - Fall of 2016
55.3 to 60.1 - Spring of 2017
60.1 to 64.5 - Spring of 2018

...though I can't find whether or not the one set for 2016 actually happened 

Stephane Dumas

Quoteand extending the Cumberland Parkway east to KY 80 would be worthwhile projects.

This one's supposed to happen, but I don't know the timetable on it.

A guy on Wikipedia jumped the gun by saying, the Cumberland extension is completed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Parkway#Eastern_extension

codyg1985

Quote from: Buck87 on February 14, 2017, 10:38:15 AM
Regarding I-75 widening, here are the "Value Engineering Study Reports" for the planned widening in Rockcastle County (MP 55.3 to 69.0)

55.3 to 60.1 & 60.1 to 64.5: http://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201603.pdf
64.5 to 69.0: http://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201602.pdf

In one of these, it mentions the projects are due to let  on the following schedule:
64.5 to 69.0 - Fall of 2016
55.3 to 60.1 - Spring of 2017
60.1 to 64.5 - Spring of 2018

...though I can't find whether or not the one set for 2016 actually happened 

Street View from December 2016 seems to show that major construction has not started.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Buck87

Just drove through there on 75 south. While no work has started yet, they do have "road work ahead" signs posted leading up to mp 69, where there is a sign saying road work next 5 miles. Then at mp 64 there are end road work signs.

There was also tree clearing going on at exit 62.

VS986

Buck87

I was through there again on Nov. 19 and the construction was in full swing on the MM 69 to 64.5 portion, with the southbound lanes being divided into two separate lanes for most of the work zone. It was dark, so I couldn't really make out what kind of progress was being made, though one thing I did notice was a lot of heavy earthwork being done along the west side of the road near the south end of the work zone just north of exit 62.

Anyone know if the letting for the MM 55.3 to 60.1 section actually happened this year as it was scheduled to in one of the links I posted upthread?

Buck87

Things are progressing nicely. As of today, most of the MM 69 to 64.5 section looks like the first pic, and most of the MM 64.5 to 60.1 section looks like the 2nd pic

VS988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.