News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Fort Pitt "Tunnels" and the Squirrel Hill "Tunnels"

Started by ixnay, December 06, 2016, 07:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

In Pittsburgh, the traffic reporters on KDKA and KQV refer to the Fort Pitt "Tunnels" (plural).  Ditto for the Squirrel Hill "Tunnels" (and I assume the Liberty "Tunnels").  Although the portals are lettered in the singular.  Is this a 'Burgh thing?  Imagine WCBS starting referrring to the Lincoln "Tunnels"...

ixnay

coatimundi

Fort Pitt, Liberty and Squirrel Hill are all twin bores. So they appear to be two separate tunnels. Mount Washington is a single bore, so that is probably referenced as "tunnel."
I guess this just depends on how you define "tunnel." Is it the tunnel complex, including all tubes, as to which the Lincoln Tunnel seems to be referred, or do the individual tubes represent individual tunnels? The Lincoln Tunnel's Wikipedia page refers to each tube as an individual tunnel, so it seems like the Pittsburgh terminology is more correct. It should be "Lincoln Tunnels." However, the "Lincoln Tunnel" was originally a single tube, and its name was likely carried on. Conversely, the Pittsburgh tunnels were all opened as twin tubes.

VTGoose

Quote from: ixnay on December 06, 2016, 07:46:29 AM
In Pittsburgh, the traffic reporters on KDKA and KQV refer to the Fort Pitt "Tunnels" (plural).  Ditto for the Squirrel Hill "Tunnels" (and I assume the Liberty "Tunnels").  Although the portals are lettered in the singular.  Is this a 'Burgh thing?  Imagine WCBS starting referrring to the Lincoln "Tunnels"...

Yeah, it's a 'Burgh thing. It's also Liberty Tubes (or at least it was when I was growing up near the 'Burgh in Moon Township).

Bruce in Blacksburg (but a native of the 'Burgh)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

coatimundi

rickmastfan67

Quote from: VTGoose on December 06, 2016, 02:38:42 PM
It's also Liberty Tubes (or at least it was when I was growing up near the 'Burgh in Moon Township).

Still is. ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.