News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdmoss88

Went through Centreville this weekend and came here to report it was open but seems that I was beat to the punch.  :rolleyes:
It looks as though the old section is going to be County Rd 20 as the intersection near the east end of the four lane has both east and west County Rd 20 signs. Also AL219 which had crossed US82 just west of the Cahaba River now follows US82 across the river to the AL25 exit. The old part of 219 between 82 and old 82 must have gone over to the city?

BamaZeus

I found this article this morning from late July, concerning the 20/59 bridge replacement project.  I went back and didn't see it posted, unless I'm completely blind.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/aldot_announces_start_of_i-205.html

and the ALDOT page for the project
http://rp.dot.state.al.us/I59_20/

The Ghostbuster

How long before the Interstate 85 Montgomery Bypass is completed? It seems to be taking forever.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 19, 2015, 02:44:03 PM
How long before the Interstate 85 Montgomery Bypass is completed? It seems to be taking forever.

Decades? As far as I know the only active construction is on the section down to AL 110. Even something vaguely useful like extending it to US 231/82 seems a long way off.

BamaZeus

A multi-car wreck including an overturned 18-wheeler plowed into one of the sign gantries on 20/59 at Arkadelphia.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/09/at_least_1_dead_in_crash_on_i-.html#incart_river_home

Henry

Quote from: lordsutch on August 19, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 19, 2015, 02:44:03 PM

Decades? As far as I know the only active construction is on the section down to AL 110. Even something vaguely useful like extending it to US 231/82 seems a long way off.
And it might take even longer for the pipe dream that is the I-85 extension to Meridian, which I feel is pointless anyway. If anything, they should've found a way to extend I-16 from Macon, or failing that, made it I-14 or I-18.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

msunat97

I-85 to Meridian????  They can't get 80 4 laned from Montgomery to the Mississippi State line.  How long has that been under construction?  My parents say they've been working on it since I was very little...I'm 41 now & it's still not done.

freebrickproductions

The new exit on I-65 in Cullman is nearing completion.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mvcg66b3r

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 09, 2015, 12:06:17 PM
The new exit on I-65 in Cullman is nearing completion.

What's the exit number?
James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland

Charles2

I'm guessing it will be either 306 or 307.  SR-69 North is 304, and US 278 is Exit 308.  The new exit is about halfway between the two.

noelbotevera

If Alabama can finish I-22 and make a new I-65 exit, then when hell freezes over they're STILL working on a stretch of US 80 that's 143 miles long to get 4 laned? Hmm, I now doubt moving to Alabama.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

brownpelican

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 09, 2015, 09:27:28 PM
If Alabama can finish I-22 and make a new I-65 exit, then when hell freezes over they're STILL working on a stretch of US 80 that's 143 miles long to get 4 laned? Hmm, I now doubt moving to Alabama.

East of Selma, it is four lanes...west of there is another story, though Rand McNally does show it four lanes to Demopolis.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: brownpelican on October 09, 2015, 10:25:50 PM

East of Selma, it is four lanes...west of there is another story, though Rand McNally does show it four lanes to Demopolis.
Actually it is 4 lanes all the way to 20 but no town bypasses.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

bdmoss88

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on October 10, 2015, 08:46:29 AM
Quote from: brownpelican on October 09, 2015, 10:25:50 PM

Actually it is 4 lanes all the way to 20 but no town bypasses.
Uniontown is the only place it isn't four laned.

cjk374

Quote from: Charles2 on October 09, 2015, 09:21:37 PM
I'm guessing it will be either 306 or 307.  SR-69 North is 304, and US 278 is Exit 308.  The new exit is about halfway between the two.

Which ever milepost is south of the overpass for the new exit will be the new exit number.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

freebrickproductions

Carriger Road bridge in Hazel Green to reopen this week
http://whnt.com/2015/11/04/carriger-road-bridge-to-reopen/

The bridge on Carriger Road in Hazel Green remains closed, causing a long detour for drivers. (Photo: WHNT News 19)

HAZEL GREEN, Ala. (WHNT) — After months of circuitous driving for commuters in northern Madison County, a change bringing long-awaited relief.

District One Commissioner Roger Jones announced the bridge is set to reopen Thursday afternoon.

A hole in the bridge closed it to traffic over the summer. The Madison County Commission declared it an emergency situation to speed up repairs, but further inspection from state officials delayed its reopening.

County officials say it will be repaved Thursday morning and, should weather permit, the Road Closed signs that have taken up residence will be removed.

Traffic pattern has changed on County Line Road in Madison
http://whnt.com/2015/11/05/traffic-pattern-has-changed-on-county-line-road-in-madison/

MADISON, Ala. — Madison Police want you to be aware of traffic pattern changes on County Line Road. There is no longer a center turn lane in the construction zone.

The change is for the portion of County Line Road between Dock Murphy Drive to the northern city limits.

The change has been implemented to provide adequate lane widths on during construction.

The speed limit in the area is posted as 40 m.p.h. Please observe that posted limit.

If you have any questions or comments, you may contact the City of Madison Engineering Department at 256-772-8431.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

barcncpt44

ALDOT has put up new BGS signs at the exit 188 interchange in Oxford.  The big news, the Anniston Eastern Bypass will carry US 431 and be leaving Quintard Ave.  And, US 431 will soon travel Interstate 20 between exits 188 and 191 instead of taking US 78.  The signs have the US 431 covered up for now.  As for the opening of the bypass, the Anniston Star said it would open by the end of 2015, but I am not buying that.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

Those style signs have been going up in Gadsden lately, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

Georgia

I just dont see how the extension would help that much except you would be able to travel from Wallace to Meighan faster without any lights; it's still going to put you out on that busy stretch of Meighan near the Wal-Mart and the new shopping options.  The new bridge on Meighan and additional lanes on 411 from Rainbow City to downtown would be more of a priority to me.

codyg1985

Quote from: Georgia on November 17, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
I just dont see how the extension would help that much except you would be able to travel from Wallace to Meighan faster without any lights; it's still going to put you out on that busy stretch of Meighan near the Wal-Mart and the new shopping options.  The new bridge on Meighan and additional lanes on 411 from Rainbow City to downtown would be more of a priority to me.

The extension is supposed to go east to end at the US 278/431 intersection. You would, in theory, be able to bypass any stretch of Meighan between I-59 and US 278 east. It would work best for through traffic on US 278 or US 431.
Cody Goodman

Georgia

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 17, 2015, 05:26:01 PM

The extension is supposed to go east to end at the US 278/431 intersection. You would, in theory, be able to bypass any stretch of Meighan between I-59 and US 278 east. It would work best for through traffic on US 278 or US 431.

yea, that is what i was looking at too, there is almost no way it can go straight east to the 278/431 split as there will be a lot of environmental justice complaints as that residential neighborhood isn't exactly the best.

codyg1985

Quote from: Georgia on November 17, 2015, 05:40:15 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on November 17, 2015, 05:26:01 PM

yea, that is what i was looking at too, there is almost no way it can go straight east to the 278/431 split as there will be a lot of environmental justice complaints as that residential neighborhood isn't exactly the best.

That, along with weak traffic relief justifications at the time, may have been why the project got canned in the first place.
Cody Goodman

The Ghostbuster

What is the likelihood of Interstate 759 being extended in any direction?

codyg1985

Probably not very high, at this point. The greater push is to extend it east, so that would probably be the top priority.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.