News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Illiana Corridor progress

Started by Rick Powell, February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 22, 2014, 09:33:15 PM
Quote from: US 41 on February 22, 2014, 05:18:26 PM
I think a diamond interchange at US 41 is a dumb move. Then businesses will build on US 41 and create traffic issues. I'm aware this idea would be more expensive but 2 trumpet interchanges (with toll boths between the 2 trumpets would be a better option. Then INDOT could say we're leaving up the fences and frontage roads must be built along Hyw. 41 or businesses have to build on side streets.

Indot doesn't do frontage roads often for some reason, also they probably assume most traffic is on 65 anyway.

US 30 in Merrillville and Hobart has some frontage roads, but there are gaps. These were planned before the area was incorporated and mainly date back from the 1970s. A recent INDOT project improved some of these roads in Merrillville. The US 30 congestion situation in Lake and Porter Counties is far worse than US 31 in Kokomo.

thefro

http://www.in.gov/ifa/2763.htm

These documents on the Indiana Finance Authority's website say they intend for substantial completion of the Indiana portion by 2018.

They are doing a P3 with a private company.

Brandon

Quote from: thefro on February 23, 2014, 08:55:28 AM
http://www.in.gov/ifa/2763.htm

These documents on the Indiana Finance Authority's website say they intend for substantial completion of the Indiana portion by 2018.

They are doing a P3 with a private company.

Not too surprising.  The Will County Board wants dirt turned starting in 2015 and completion in 2018.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Gnutella

I could see the "Illiana" eventually extending east to Fort Wayne, and maybe even to Mansfield, OH and becoming an extension of I-76. It'd help relieve some of the traffic on I-80/I-90, and also give Fort Wayne better Interstate access.

I'm jealous that all Indiana and Illinois have to do to build a highway is shovel some dirt and dig some artificial ponds. It beats having to blow out the side of a hill or mountain, build a bunch of extra-long bridge spans, figure out how to wedge it into a mountain gap next to other critical infrastructure because that's the only place it can go, etc.

Henry

Quote from: Gnutella on March 18, 2014, 09:12:19 PM
I could see the "Illiana" eventually extending east to Fort Wayne, and maybe even to Mansfield, OH and becoming an extension of I-76. It'd help relieve some of the traffic on I-80/I-90, and also give Fort Wayne better Interstate access.

I'm jealous that all Indiana and Illinois have to do to build a highway is shovel some dirt and dig some artificial ponds. It beats having to blow out the side of a hill or mountain, build a bunch of extra-long bridge spans, figure out how to wedge it into a mountain gap next to other critical infrastructure because that's the only place it can go, etc.
That would be nice, too, but US 30 is fine as it is.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on March 20, 2014, 03:29:54 PM

Other than for the STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP.... that one experiences as he or she crosses the state on it, it is fine.

:spin:

Mike

silverback1065

Ya there are way too many traffic lights on that road

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on March 25, 2014, 10:39:53 AM

Other than for the STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP.... that one experiences as he or she crosses the state on it, it is fine.

Mike
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 25, 2014, 10:49:56 AM
Ya there are way too many traffic lights on that road
And the sad part is, IIRC, the IN Toll Road does not want a competing limited-access facility within a certain distance of it, so the proposed Illiana/I-76 extension may not happen anytime soon. But still, it would be nice to have that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

No.
Quote from: NE2 on April 25, 2012, 12:59:13 AM
Quote from: Lightning Strike on April 25, 2012, 12:47:37 AM
I thought that the Illiana Expressway couldn't connect to the I-94 corridor since it would intersect the Indiana Tollroad and thus be considered a "competing" tollroad.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5113.msg111770#msg111770
The approved route is all more than 10 miles from the Tollway. If it heads north then to I-94, it would not have 20 continuous miles within 10 miles of the Tollway unless it goes at a rather shallow angle.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Lyon Wonder

thenetwork

Quote from: mgk920 on March 25, 2014, 10:39:53 AM

For all the times I have driven US-30 across Indiana, I have only had issues with traffic from Valpo west to I-65.  East of Valpo, it's an easy drive except for Fort Wayne* , where you at least have some options on suffering.

* Either plow through Fort Wayne along the old US-30 alignment, or take the looooong I-69/I-269 bypass either north or south of town to continue on US-30 east into Ohio.

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on September 23, 2014, 06:18:04 PM
Building a toll road to nowhere?

http://illinoistimes.com/article-14479-building-a-toll-road-to-nowhere.html

Hardly.  It's a toll road to connect major interstate corridors (I-55, I-57, I-65) with the major intermodal center in Chicagoland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Revive 755

Article has issues:

1) The article states the toll "would be significantly higher than the average six cents per mile on existing Illinois toll roads."  Sure they state "existing," but ISTHA is supposed going for much higher rates (around twenty cents per mile) for the Elgin O'Hare, and IIRC the IL 53 extension would also use a higher rate.

2) The critics that say the road is unnecessary ought to be forced to sit in the congestion that results the next time I-55 over the Des Plaines is narrowed for construction, and however bad the congestion is on I-80 when IDOT gets around to widening and rebuilding it through Joliet.

3) There's a complaint about the project driving away animals?  I'm sure the industrial development in Will County is doing a much better job of it.

silverback1065

The idea that its going to do all that environmental damage i think is bs.

pianocello

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 23, 2014, 10:35:27 PM

Article has issues:

1) The article states the toll "would be significantly higher than the average six cents per mile on existing Illinois toll roads."  Sure they state "existing," but ISTHA is supposed going for much higher rates (around twenty cents per mile) for the Elgin O'Hare, and IIRC the IL 53 extension would also use a higher rate.

Hell, even existing roads are significantly higher than $.06 per mile. I-88 is $10.20 for a little less than a hundred miles, putting it at 67% higher than the average.

About the road not serving any population centers, that's the point. The most ideal locations for bypasses to go are where nobody lives. This doesn't only make property acquisition easier, but it also ensures that most of the traffic is actually thru traffic, which relieves congestion.

(IMO, the Illiana won't have the full bypass effect that it could have unless it's extended to I-80 near Morris, but that's another story.)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

theline

Quote from: pianocello on September 24, 2014, 10:17:29 PM
(IMO, the Illiana won't have the full bypass effect that it could have unless it's extended to I-80 near Morris and east to US-30 near Valparaiso, but that's another story.)

FTFY.

Rick Powell

The Tier Two Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Illiana Corridor is released.

http://www.illianacorridor.org/tier_2/tier2_feis.aspx

Indyroads

Quote from: Brandon on September 23, 2014, 09:59:35 PM

Hardly.  It's a toll road to connect major interstate corridors (I-55, I-57, I-65) with the major intermodal center in Chicagoland.

The idea would be to extend Illiana further east and west to connect to I-80/90 in the east and I-80 to the west making the parkway a true bypass for the greater Chicago and NWI metro area which are severely congested. The Illiana project was scaled back to its current scope due to cost and some objections, but I would not be surprised to see it resurrected in a new form to create these connections. This parkway would also create economic opportunities along its length as well.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Brandon

Quote from: Indyroads on October 09, 2014, 07:07:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on September 23, 2014, 09:59:35 PM

The idea would be to extend Illiana further east and west to connect to I-80/90 in the east and I-80 to the west making the parkway a true bypass for the greater Chicago and NWI metro area which are severely congested. The Illiana project was scaled back to its current scope due to cost and some objections, but I would not be surprised to see it resurrected in a new form to create these connections. This parkway would also create economic opportunities along its length as well.

The Illiana was scaled back on the east, but extended on the west.  The original proposal was to have gone east from I-57 to IN-49.  I could see it being extended to the west to I-80.  At least it survived the CMAP meeting yesterday where Chicago again tried to kill it.

silverback1065

How can chicago kill something that doesn't even go through their city limits?

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 09, 2014, 09:17:48 AM

They have representatives on the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and the Metropolitan Planning Organization Policy Committee (MPO Board).  It completely bypasses them and threatens to take commerce south and out of the city.  Chicago is scared of Will County.  We have grown quickly, will top out somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million in population, and have been aggressively pursuing businesses (including having the 2 largest intermodal facilities in the state).  That's one of the reasons they decided to split the county into several congressional districts, many of which are rooted in Chicago.  I mean, what the hell is a guy like Lipiniski, from Chicago, doing representing Romeoville and Crest Hill in Will County?

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2014, 09:28:41 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 09, 2014, 09:17:48 AM

They have representatives on the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) and the Metropolitan Planning Organization Policy Committee (MPO Board).  It completely bypasses them and threatens to take commerce south and out of the city.  Chicago is scared of Will County.  We have grown quickly, will top out somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million in population, and have been aggressively pursuing businesses (including having the 2 largest intermodal facilities in the state).  That's one of the reasons they decided to split the county into several congressional districts, many of which are rooted in Chicago.  I mean, what the hell is a guy like Lipiniski, from Chicago, doing representing Romeoville and Crest Hill in Will County?
Yes, that is strange, because the Illiana is not going to enter the Chicago city limits at all. That's like Los Angeles opposing a project in Orange County :no:

ARMOURERERIC

The situation is more like SANDAG:  San Diego can stop a road project funded by the MPO in El Cajon

theline

That's what regional commissions are for for. When a project affects an entire region, everyone has input into the decision. That way, Mayor Hayseed of the Village of Podunk, can't on his own re-route or block the project to suit his narrow interests.

Brandon

Quote from: theline on October 10, 2014, 02:31:19 PM
That's what regional commissions are for for. When a project affects an entire region, everyone has input into the decision. That way, Mayor Hayseed of the Village of Podunk, can't on his own re-route or block the project to suit his narrow interests.

However, Chicago tried to hijack it in this case.  Thankfully, the members of the board from Kane, DuPage, Will, and south Cook saw it differently for a road that mostly affects Will, south Cook, and Kankakee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.