News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NC-24 Bypass from Clinton, NC to Rose Hill Updates?

Started by 48lexR, January 09, 2024, 04:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48lexR

Hi everyone, first post here!

For years, I've seen an incomplete interchange South of Clinton, NC that carries US-421 and US-701. It assume it is to be part of a new bypass (potentially rerouting NC-24 to I-40?) but I can't find anything definitive about any resignage, nor the route. Here is the interchange on google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9574439,-78.294351,17z?entry=ttu

After a search here, and a search online, I can't find any news about this, so sorry if this is a repeat thread!

Edit: I changed the title to be more accurate.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 48lexR on January 09, 2024, 04:03:39 PM

For years, I've seen an incomplete interchange South of Clinton, NC that carries US-421 and US-701. It assume it is to be part of a new bypass (potentially rerouting NC-24 to I-40?) but I can't find anything definitive about any resignage, nor the route. Here is the interchange on google maps:

After a search here, and a search online, I can't find any news about this, so sorry if this is a repeat thread!

From a year ago...

https://www.clintonnc.com/news/64789/city-calls-for-n-c-24-finish

48lexR

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 09, 2024, 04:27:56 PM
Quote from: 48lexR on January 09, 2024, 04:03:39 PM

From a year ago...

https://www.clintonnc.com/news/64789/city-calls-for-n-c-24-finish

Yeah, it appears the right-of-way acquisition has begun, but I can't find anything on DOT's website about routing or maps. I'll have to drive down there the next time I get a chance and see if anything has changed. I assume that this bypass would link to NC-903 at the I-40 interchange in the future as part of the DoD's initiative to connect Camp Lejune and Fort Liberty. (NC-903/24 was widened already around Kenansville, but I don't quite know when.)

Henry

I think you meant to put this thread in the Southeast section...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Is this going to be part of that proposed I-685 eventually?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

48lexR

Quote from: Henry on January 09, 2024, 11:18:45 PM
I think you meant to put this thread in the Southeast section...

Sorry, I'm new here, so I should've been more careful about where I put this thread. I'll be more careful in the future.
Quote from: roadman65 on January 10, 2024, 09:46:30 AM
Potentially, although as it stands now, I doubt it. It seems the planned I-685 is predicted to end in Dunn, and this bypass is going to provide a 4-laned, divided highway from Fort Liberty to Camp Lejune. US-421 would need to be upgraded for a long stretch South of Clinton.

Mapmikey

The project is in the STIP system as R-2303F.

Current status is "in design" with a $375M estimate for the project with both ROW and construction unfunded, meaning at this time (STIPs often change over time) nothing will occur until at least 2034.  In fact, page 105 of the 2020-29 STIP adjustments had ROW moved to start in 2029 and construction beyond that.

I don't know how precise it is on the routing, but the STIP map shows it - https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/stip/Pages/stip-projects-map.aspx

48lexR

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 10, 2024, 08:56:09 PM
The project is in the STIP system as R-2303F.

Current status is "in design" with a $375M estimate for the project with both ROW and construction unfunded, meaning at this time (STIPs often change over time) nothing will occur until at least 2034.  In fact, page 105 of the 2020-29 STIP adjustments had ROW moved to start in 2029 and construction beyond that.

I don't know how precise it is on the routing, but the STIP map shows it - https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/stip/Pages/stip-projects-map.aspx

Thanks for this! I don't know why I had such a hard time finding anything about its routing. It looks like they'll be making a new interchange for it on I-40 between Exits 364 and 369. I had originally assumed it would just like up with NC-903 where the Kenansville bypass starts, but it seems they'd rather not go with that.

Now, I wonder what NC-24 will be signed as through Turkey up to I-40. I guess they would extend NC-24 Bus. to Clinton?

Strider

No. Proposed I-685 is to end in Dunn (it should be Fayetteville. I still don't know why NCDOT picked Dunn) however, Wilmington NC officials want I-685 to end in Wilmington paralleling I-40 just to the west (I think it is unless since I-40 rarely have traffic), but nothing has been set in stone. So, I-685 will only run from I-85 in Greensboro to I-95 in Dunn.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Strider on January 11, 2024, 06:47:14 PM

No. Proposed I-685 is to end in Dunn (it should be Fayetteville. I still don't know why NCDOT picked Dunn) however, Wilmington NC officials want I-685 to end in Wilmington paralleling I-40 just to the west (I think it is unless since I-40 rarely have traffic), but nothing has been set in stone. So, I-685 will only run from I-85 in Greensboro to I-95 in Dunn.

Regarding the Dunn vs. Fayetteville part, my guess is that it would be too difficult to try and built it through Fort Liberty and Spring Lake. Taking I-685 all the way to Wilmington would be ridiculous, I think. If it followed US 421 all the way in, it would parallel I-40 by about 10 miles.

The Ghostbuster

Dunn is a better place to terminate future Interstate 685. Beyond Dunn, an upgrade to four lanes with possible bypasses around towns will be enough of an upgrade. That is, assuming such upgrades become necessary.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 13, 2024, 07:25:41 PM
Dunn is a better place to terminate future Interstate 685. Beyond Dunn, an upgrade to four lanes with possible bypasses around towns will be enough of an upgrade. That is, assuming such upgrades become necessary.

Depending upon whether I-685 bypasses Dunn to the north or the south, a better termination would be I-40 near Meadow -or- I-40 near Newton Grove.  The concern that I have is that Great Lakes and Midwest traffic will find that I-685 provides quicker access to Wilmington-area beaches than the current preference of Myrtle Beach.  If so, a termination at I-95 could require another significant upgrade between Dunn and I-40.  Either way, it seems a certainty that I-685 will become preferred over North Carolina's version of I-74 (for all points south and east).

By the way, don't forget this once-popular I-685 thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.