News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Automobile Club of Southern California would not have expressways on their maps?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 02, 2016, 08:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

Automobile Club of Southern California would not have expressways on their maps?

I have just noticed that ACSC, would have red on a county map as a freeway, but black to indicate expressway, you couldn't tell that ACSC would have expressways in olive or yellow.  I think they should once again go back to redrawing their maps including their street maps too with these changes, I have noticed orange lines for CA 126 as Henry Mayo Road, when Google and Microsoft would say "Santa Paula Freeway" on their online maps too.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

mrsman

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 02, 2016, 08:12:32 PM

I have just noticed that ACSC, would have red on a county map as a freeway, but black to indicate expressway, you couldn't tell that ACSC would have expressways in olive or yellow.  I think they should once again go back to redrawing their maps including their street maps too with these changes, I have noticed orange lines for CA 126 as Henry Mayo Road, when Google and Microsoft would say "Santa Paula Freeway" on their online maps too.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Could you post an example? 

ACSCmapcollector

Yes I would with my Santa Clarita map in the near future.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

ACSCmapcollector

I am having trouble posting the portions of those ACSC maps as images/pictures, can someone help me do that...what I am talking about, please?  :hmmm: :confused:

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

ACSCmapcollector

Here they are, the pictures I saved on Flickr, which is a part of Yahoo.com:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144737420@N03/1f4CCT

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144737420@N03/4Y8BrG

The section of the first map is from the Central Coast to Kern County, ACSC, the second portion of the map is from an update city of Santa Clarita city map from ACSC, both are from the Automobile of Southern California.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

compdude787

ACSCmapcollector

It works fine on my PC and Internet connection.  If you have Charter Spectrum Internet you would not have a problem with those 404 error messages.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 05, 2016, 03:37:25 PM
It works fine on my PC and Internet connection.  If you have Charter Spectrum Internet you would not have a problem with those 404 error messages.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Pardon my ignorance but what difference does it make who your ISP is? :rolleyes:

For the record, I get 404 error messages when I click on your links.  Perhaps you didn't type the URL properly.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

I don't get any errors on my personal computer at all, no Error 404 messages.  I just set up a Flickr account under Yahoo.com, and I don't get any problems from that. 

The only problems I do get is how to save an image to this website and post it at the same time, any clues to how to so that step by step, please?   <---- this is what I mean by images, what should go in there next?

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Post Merge: July 06, 2016, 02:30:56 AM

i really don't get this how to post images on AA Roads Forum at all?  :confused:  :hmmm:

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Post Merge: July 06, 2016, 02:31:02 AM

[ followed by img, then ]  [ then \ img then ]

---SCP

Mod Note: Scott, per the forum guidelines, please avoid making multiple posts in succession like this. Successive posts are typically okay if replying to different aspects of ongoing conversation and separating by post makes things easier to follow. In this case, the multiple posts didn't add additional value to the conversation. Thanks. –Roadfro.

jakeroot

I'm not receiving 404 errors, but it is asking me to log in, which I shouldn't need to do.

Hit the download button in the bottom right of the image (the arrow pointing down), and select "view all sizes". Once that window is open, click a size (preferably "original", or if massive, something smaller). Once the image re-loads for that size, right-click the image and copy the image address (in Google Chrome, "copy image address"). Paste that link between the img tags.

Note that you need to use a forward slash "/" in the end tag. Backslashes are used for network directories. As well, image addresses always end with .jpg, .png, etc. Anything else will result in an error tag.

Easiest way to get it right is to click the "insert image" button above the reply box, and hit "ctrl+v" (or cmd + v) with the image address copied.

ACSCmapcollector

Unless there is a sign in process to view these maps, I have changed the links, they have worked.

---SCP

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144737420@N03/4B87Gs

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144737420@N03/8ewMng

Bickendan

Ok, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but looking at those two pictures, it seems the cartographers are using a symbology similar to Thomas Brothers'. AAA has always done this (and could be that Thomas Brothers based theirs off the Auto Club rather than the other way around). My guess is the city map is showing non-freeway highways in general in tan because such detail doesn't detract from the overall map, while the Southern California map only differentiates freeways to simplify any potential 'noise' on the map, and correct placement of highway shields eliminates the need to use additional colors to indicate highways.

ACSCmapcollector

Thomas Brothers is now owned by Rand McNally.  And if you look at their Road Atlas, their divided highways are marked off by orange and a yellow filled color.  Purple for freeways, and tollways, green with a fill of light green (lime color).

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Bickendan

I'm very well aware of the Thomas Guide's decline in symbology quality since being bought by Rand McNally. I'm not speaking of Rand McNally's atlas symbology (their street guide and folded maps have moved away from this and to GM Johnson's, which uses Thomas Brothers' colors and a distinctively difficult to visually parse line set for freeways). The Thomas Brothers' symbology I refer to above is roughly 1994 to 2010, and what I mean when I talk about Thomas Brothers or the Thomas Guide.

ACSCmapcollector

That what happens when Rand McNally bought their competitor H. M.  Goshua several years ago, they                     were among the best cartographers for road maps in the past under gasoline brand names as Chevron and  Shell, I have several in my old antique road and map collection at home.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.