News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

List of 4+ lane expressways/freeways in Nevada.

Started by Inyomono395, December 04, 2016, 02:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inyomono395

Living about 45 minutes from the Nevada border I really enjoy going for roadgeek trips in the silver state. Besides the Interstates, most of the state maintained highways are 2 lane conventional highways. I'm looking for a list of non-Interstate expressways and freeways. Thanks!

coatimundi

Alt 50 is a divided expressway for most of the way from Fernley to Fallon.
US 50 between South Lake Tahoe and Carson City mostly meets the California "expressway" definition, aside from a few undivided sections in the mountains.
US 95 north of Las Vegas is mostly divided expressway.

US 95 north of Las Vegas is a freeway. Most of CR 215 and Summerlin Parkway are as well, but they have a few expressway portions, with intersections and lights. US 93 approaching the Hoover Dam Bridge was built to interstate standards, but the section to the west is just expressway.
US 395 north of I-80 is a non-interstate freeway all the way to the CA line.

Lots of two-lane highways though.

roadfro

This is probably not a complete list, but what I could think of off the top of my head:

US 50, SR 28 (near Lake Tahoe) to US 395 at Carson City - 2-2 divided expressway
US 50/395, Fairview Dr to William St/US 50 east - freeway (technically counts, as it is not yet concurrent with I-580)
US 50, east of Carson City to Dayton - 2-2 expressway, partly divided
US 50 Alt, Fernley to US 50 & US 50, US 50 Alt to west limits of Fallon - 2-2 expressway (mostly divided)
US 93, AZ state line to SR 172 interchange (Hoover Dam Bypass project) - 2-2 freeway
US 93, SR 172 to Boulder City - 2-2 expressway (partly divided)
US 93, north/west of Boulder City to Henderson - 2-2 divided expressway
US 95, SR 163 near Laughlin to US 93 at Boulder City - 2-2 divided expressway (except through Searchlight)
US 95, I-15 to SR 157 (NW urban limit of Las Vegas) - multilane freeway
US 95, SR 157 to Mercury interchange in Nye County - 2-2 divided expressway
US 395, Minden to just south of Carson City - 2-2 divided expressway
US 395, I-80 to northern CA state line - multilane freeway
US 395 Alt (old US 395), Washoe City to south of Reno - portions are 2-2 divided, but mostly 2-2 undivided. But maybe too many residential driveways to call it an expressway...
SR 160, just east of Pahrump to just west of Mountain Springs Summit - 2-2 divided expressway
SR 163, AZ state line to US 95 - 2-2 expressway (partly divided)
SR 171, I-215 to Airport Tunnel portal - 3-3 freeway
SR 227, east limits of Elko to Spring Creek Pkwy roundabout - 2-2 undivided expressway
CR 215 in Las Vegas - mostly multilane freeway at this point, with some sections as 2-2 divided expressway (some of the 2-2 undivided portion in the northwest corner is currently being converted to freeway, although the part at the US 95 remains for now)
Summerlin Pkwy in Las Vegas, entire length - freeway, except the western terminus has at-grade intersections to connect to CR 215

There are other routes which could potentially be considered as expressways, but they are more urban (like parts of SR 445 or SR 659 in Reno-Sparks), and so I left them off this list. but such examples begin to muddy the definition of expressway, especially when you define "partial control of access"
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kniwt

One I would add (I don't think it's in the above list) is Desert Inn Road in Las Vegas from Paradise Road to Valley View Blvd. It's an interesting 3x3 that goes under Las Vegas Blvd. with no junction and goes over I-15 with no interchange ... a "secret" way for locals to get across the Strip. A couple of at-grade turnoffs, but no cross streets or signals over the entire length, and a 45mph speed limit.

http://vegasnowandthen.blogspot.com/2010/03/riding-on-desert-inn-expressway.html
QuoteThe Desert Inn Road Super Arterial is the $84 million-dollar, two-mile road that runs east and west between Valley View and Paradise Road. This expressway was completed in 1995. The DI Expressway provides quick trips between West Vegas and East Vegas. It is elevated over the I-15 Freeway and then drops down under the Strip and continues to Paradise and beyond.

roadfro

^ Can't believe I forgot DI. I believe there are some business driveways on the fringes at either end that fit the murky urban description, but it definitely qualifies in the middle.

On New Year's Eve, when Las Vegas Blvd is closed for the fireworks and associated festivities, the DI Arterial is the only way to cross the Strip along the ~4.2 mile stretch between Sahara Avenue and Russell Road.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.