News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Storms obliterate part of CA 35 in Santa Cruz County (pic)

Started by Kniwt, February 15, 2017, 09:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

https://twitter.com/CaltransHQ/status/831222453493862400

Video report from KPIX, with aerial drone shots:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/12/massive-mudslide-lures-disaster-tourists-to-santa-cruz-mountains/

QuoteA massive mudslide nicknamed “the Great Divide” has lured dozens of curiosity seekers to a storm damaged region of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Local residents fear these ‘disaster tourists’ are putting additional stresses on roads weakened by the stormy weather over the last two months.

Max Rockatansky

Weird...the quick map just shows it as a "slide" with anticipated reopening of February the 28th...  :eyebrow:  WELLLLLLLLllllll $#!+.....I guess that means I won't be clinching that one lane section of 35 next week after all.  I guess I'll have to figure out how to get around the slide on CA 9 to up 236 and 35.  I'm thinking Empire Grade if things don't get worse.  :meh:  I guess that my "disaster tourism" will just have to piss off the locals.

andy3175

Wow. That whole slope is gone. Like Max, I'm disappointed I won't be able to clinch this section of roadway anytime soon. I hope no one was injured by the slide on SR 35.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Yeah no kidding, imagine coming up on something like that at night.  At minimum 35 isn't used very much, but it does beg an uneasy question...will it get 39ed at the end of the day?

kkt

I hope not!  35 is a fun road, and I think there are some cabins accessible off it, too.  But I don't think it'll be ready to travel again by Feb. 28.  :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
I hope not!  35 is a fun road, and I think there are some cabins accessible off it, too.  But I don't think it'll be ready to travel again by Feb. 28.  :)

Yeah some of those QuickMap notes are an absolute joke in regards to seriousness and anticipated tenure of closure.  If anything 35 at least is probably used enough by locals to push for a new route around that slide, but that isn't something that isn't getting fixed any time in the near future.  Hell, I thought the same thing might happen to 3 north of Weaverville last year during a similar slide but it eventually was reopened.

nexus73

Water slides are fun in the summer.  Road slides are not fun in the winter!  We lost two of our rural routes in Coos County this year.  Sometimes the land won't stand.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2017, 01:01:49 PM

Yeah some of those QuickMap notes are an absolute joke in regards to seriousness and anticipated tenure of closure.  If anything 35 at least is probably used enough by locals to push for a new route around that slide, but that isn't something that isn't getting fixed any time in the near future.  Hell, I thought the same thing might happen to 3 north of Weaverville last year during a similar slide but it eventually was reopened.

One of my best friends lives in Redwood Estates about a half mile north of Summit Road (the southern reaches of CA 35, about 10-11 miles southeast of the slide) and is experiencing his own mudflow issues, even on the drier north slope.  Many of the folks in that town, as well as other residents scattered around the mountains who work up the peninsula, rely on CA 35 to avoid the normal commute-time congestion on CA 17 -- there will be considerable local pressure to re-open 35 as soon as feasible.  Skyline's iconic locally; the likelihood of permanent (or even long-term) closure is slim and none (and slim's left the building!).   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on February 16, 2017, 06:42:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2017, 01:01:49 PM

One of my best friends lives in Redwood Estates about a half mile north of Summit Road (the southern reaches of CA 35, about 10-11 miles southeast of the slide) and is experiencing his own mudflow issues, even on the drier north slope.  Many of the folks in that town, as well as other residents scattered around the mountains who work up the peninsula, rely on CA 35 to avoid the normal commute-time congestion on CA 17 -- there will be considerable local pressure to re-open 35 as soon as feasible.  Skyline's iconic locally; the likelihood of permanent (or even long-term) closure is slim and none (and slim's left the building!).   

And ultimately that will be probably the driving force for getting it open.  The big difference from a 39 or 173 compared to 35 or 3 is that people actually live/commute on those routes to varying degrees.

hm insulators

Especially if they get more rain.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hm insulators on February 22, 2017, 01:01:05 PM

I'd say give that slide several months at minimum. 3 was back open last year after I want to say maybe three/four months north of Weaverville in a similar slide out.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on February 22, 2017, 01:01:05 PM

I'd say give that slide several months at minimum. 3 was back open last year after I want to say maybe three/four months north of Weaverville in a similar slide out.

Well, we did get a lot more rain, and 35/Skyline's shut down farther north up the road near Sky Londa as well.  Caltrans is saying somewhere around the end of March/beginning of April to get the whole road open -- but given the workload locally on virtually every state route in the region because of the storms, I'd venture a guess that it'll be mid-May or later before CA 35 is once again complete. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.